Dork Permanency

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Tsyrith, Aug 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Tsyrith

Tsyrith Rabbaht Slayawr!

Hi there. Usual story of TOEE gettings, followed by regrettable relegation afore kind sirs/mams saw fit to release fine updates which dusted-off aforestated product and stole many unlamented hours. Thanks all.

Anyway, not had many problems with TOEE that weren't solvable with a little google-grease or thanks to the wealth of information presented on this board, but I've encountered something that may be a little beyond my expertise. The problem is that my Cleric looks like a dork.

Specifically, he is under the visual spell effect of the Law Domain's "Calm Emotions", to which he is incapable of escaping the shiny sparkly dots. I cast the spell ages ago, and failed the save, but was too preoccupied to notice the longevity of the sparkles. The spell effect has worn off, sure, but those shiny dots are doing my concentration no favors at all. Any and all spell-permanence tactics are futile against these malignant dots, and I've resigned to attempting to remove them from the save-game itself. But that's where I'm stuck.

I haven't embarked upon the editing of TOEE until earlier today (make my cloak-of-choice black instead of white, will you?!), and then it was a tad easier than I suspect this will turn out being.

So, main question; I need to find the visual-effect reference for the Law Domain 2nd level spell "Calm Emotions" from someplace, and somehow open my save-game, cross-reference it until the offender is found and delete its sparkly existence, right?

2. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

Last time I had a perma-spell that I couldn't shake even with Liv's Jaroo mod, I just recast the same spell on someone in order to overwrite the effect duration, then rested so that it would expire. Maybe give that a try?

3. Tsyrith

Tsyrith Rabbaht Slayawr!

Mmmh. Well, it's one of them "concentration" spells, which last as long as you concentrate. There's the option to stop concentating, which I've tried, but the previous one doesn't overwrite anything or stop it when I stop the concentating. It's like an effect just decided to attach to the character... forever... like... a curse... or something. By the way, by utilizing intense scutiny, I've determined that casting the spell again stacks with the original effect. Kinda knew that'd happen since I used multiple fireshields to kill fungi-features once.

Anyway, that was quite thoughtful, thanks. If the Wish spell was in, I'd let his body decay then bring it back, but nevermind.

EDIT: Well, I don't know about fixing it, but I know how to make it worse. Casting calm emotions inflicts the sparkles on you whether you make a successful save or not. Must be a leak in the spell or something, which means that you cast the spell, it doesn't take effect, but the visual effect does. The reason why it doesn't get fixed is because there's no spell to get rid of, and it stacks its animation, and its not a spell that can get removed upon death. Dangit! So yeah, mayhap I have to hex-edit my save or something, but I have absolutely no clue how to go about it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

If you don't know what you're doing, I'd advise against trying a hexedit. :)

If killing and reviving the character don't work, then I've got no other suggestion but to try and live with it, I'm afraid :(

5. Tsyrith

Tsyrith Rabbaht Slayawr!

But... the sparkles! Aw.

Welp, I better learn me some modding and maybe one day I can extricate him from sparkley evils. So you're saying that I need to level up to Savegame Hex-Edit, eh? Blast, shouldn't've wasted experience on that power-gaming feat. </perculiar adage>

Anyhow, thanks.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

On my last run through, my monk was afflicted with web sparklies for over half the total game time (begining to end) even though he never should have had to make a save VS web - he was wearing a cloak of arachnida at the time (grants freedom of movement).

Does it look odd and kinda distacting? Sure does.
    Is it fixable? Nope.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

He's lying!!! Hack, dammit! Hack til ur fingers bleed and there is smoke coming out of the PC!! :rant:

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Ted will walk you through it then :D

9. Tsyrith

Tsyrith Rabbaht Slayawr!

Rather nice of him, though my cleric isn't complaining all that much (I think he thinks it's a sign from Heironeous), but he isn't the one getting the concentration penalty. In any case, I can live with it if it requires an amount of serious tuition, seeing as how I'm a noob. I'd imagine that hex-editing would, and finding the parts where a character is afflicted with a visual effect would likely be pioneering in the attempt.

10. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

Have you tried killing the character (or allowing him/her to die in combat) and then raising them? That SHOULD clear the visual effect. The only other thing that I can think of is to move all of his/her items over to another character while the party is at the Inn, then dropping and re-adding the character and moving the items back. Of course, this means reverting to level 1, but that character SHOULD level extremely fast as the party continues adventuring.

Our Host!