Secret doors

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pere Ubu, Aug 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Are you guys talking about how sometimes the game will not prompt you with the secret door discovered message, but if you move the mouse over to the location of the secret door it will open it? I've run into that a few times.

2. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Nope, I can't detect secret stairways. It's not so bad in the Moathouse, but in the Temple I use the Spiral Staircase as a safe camping location and it's really tough to lose that kind of convenient resource.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I was not blaming the bug on having or not having a patch. I have a few different computers, I am the only user. If I install ToEE on one of my computers, ToEE runs and plays better with both Patch1 and Patch2 installed on that computer, than just installing Patch2. The other computers can go either way with ToEE and the patches, with both patches or just patch2 by itself - those others run the same. And, none of them have had this bug.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Pere Ubu: Yes, add one reboot between steps 5 and 6. That will give you 2 reboots to do during the process. Otherwise, it looks good.

5. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Never had any problem with the Atari patches myself, but then I always have installed patch 1 followed by patch 2 as a "just in case" sort of move.

Pere Ubu, as far as resting in the temple, you can always go hang with the gnome. Or, since you are being unfairly denied a resting spot, just save the game before resting, and if you don't get a safe resting period, reload from the saved game and try again.

That's of course if you don't want to do the whole reinstall thing. What I'd wonder though is that if you don't find a secret door, what else are you missing? That's why I'd do the reinstall if I were you.

6. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Ah, I didn't know Wonnillon's spot was safe. I should have guessed from the dialogue.

I've been using the Staircase just 'cause it's more centrally located - easier to go clear out an area, retreat there to heal & restore spells, then head back out. Don't think I'm missing too much - I've been through the Temple up to level 4 and I've located most of the important secret doors in previous games. It's accessing those doors and stairs which is the problem.

BTW - now that I think about it - in my last game I couldn't access the secret door off the Minotaur's room. Wasn't any big deal, but maybe it was a sign of things to come. Anyway, off to do aforementioned reinstall.

7. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Well!

I tried krunch's plan last night - delete, uninstall, cleanup, reboot, reinstall,reboot and started a new game with some of the pregen characters. Lidda managed to sneak past the zombies and detect the secret door up to the Ghoul area just fine.

Okay, I said, problem solved. Only, when I created a bunch of new characters and started on a new quest, I had the same damn problem - the stairway in the brigand's room detected just fine, but not the secret stairway to the Ghoul room.

I'm at a loss here. Maybe I need to do the zombies and detect that secret door BEFORE I do the brigands? Sounds silly, but I'm grasping at straws here. Like I said, this didn't happen before - I've gotten all the way up past Hedrack without this problem previously. Maybe it's sunspots.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I would suggest you delete the existing Atari patches and Co8 mod files you have on your computer and have used, download new copies to install on your ToEE. Try a new uninstall and reinstall of ToEE with Patches and MOD using the new downloaded files.

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Pere Ubu: Oh yah, when you deleted the remaining game files,
    (1) were the files deleted without using the recycle bin,
    or (2) were the files placed in the recycle bin and the recycle bin was emptied at that time,
    or (3) were the files placed in the recycle bin and those files are still in the recycle bin [was not emptied]?

10. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

SHould I have deleted the folders and everything in them? I deleted the characters and saved games through the ToEE game itself then uninstalled the game.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yes, I would suggest that you should have uninstalled ToEE and deleted the remaining files and folders after uninstalling ToEE.

12. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Blah, okay, here we go again.

The worst part is thinking up names for the new characters every time.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Strange, I'm experiencing the same phenomenon as Pere Ubu in my current game. The only secret stair I can't ID is that zombie room one. Could this be something other than the secret stair/doorway corruption bug? I thought that one was universal - once you got it you couldn't detect anymore secret stairs or doors.

14. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

FINALLY got it to work! Thanks, guys! I appreciate it.

Anyone having the same problem - you'll want to delete the ToEE directory structure when you uninstall. I hadn't realized uninstalling still leaves all kinds of stuff lying around, including a (probably increasingly corrupted) temple.dll.

Now I need to see if this ALSO cures that weird Spike Growth CTD thing I had before.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

that's wonderful

Our Host!