Question on Target of Revenge (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Dragon_Awakened, Jul 15, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Funny, I had been thinking about this earlier myself. I agree with Ug, we should add something to make them initiate combat with the party. I suppose it would be alright for chaotic aligned parties to just walk in there and attack them, but it's goofy for others. R & G have a lot of voiced dialogue that we might be able to manipulate into something to serve this purpose, if we can't get Spike and Curufin back into the studio for overdubs. (Sorry I always come from the voiced-dialogue-or-not perspective; it's just that due to the VtV project I'm exceedingly aware of what's already missing and want to avoid creating more gaps.)

At any rate, I would think that a condition that satisfies having discovered the labor camp spy, turned R & G into Burne, and basically telling them to go to hell, followed by another prohibited visit after the 'you're no longer welcome here' speech would be appropriate to trigger the fight. That, or having it pop off after the party is attacked by the assassin and goes back to confront R & G. That always seemed goofy to me too - they send someone to kill you, you go back and confront them afterwards, and then just sort of say "Well okay, don't let it happen again." :yeaaa:

[edit]

This seems to be more a bugs/gameplay debate, so I'm tossing it over to GM.

- G

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Well, the problem with them initiating combat is the "[memfault] of Swift Justice" reputation doesn't make any sense in the instance. Plus, Rannos and Gremag are spies. They're not going to attack a heavily armed group of adventurers without the benefit of numbers and/or surprise.

If folks want to mod in some dialogue choices that allow the party to initiate combat with them, that's find and makes sense, but I think setting things up so they initiate aggression with the party would be out of character.

3. Hunter

Hunter Digging KOTB

In the interest of maintaining the swift justice reputation and some logical story plot: the party could arrive at the traders' store to kick the temple spies out of hommlet (could be a quest given by Burne or Nevets), R+G reply "fa-q" , battle ensues in which they use their magic dust to get the hell out of Dodge in order to plot their revenge.

4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

The idea behind the Swift Justice reputation is you're not waiting for the Village Council (or whatever) to deal with them, but taking matters into your own hands and executing the evil. Turning it into a quest would again make the reputation not make sense.

5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Sorry, LG, but I've been through all the dialog files from the original game through 3.0.4 and Liv's mod, and there is not anything in them that makes R&G attack the party. Perhaps it was something you were testing for Liv's 2.0.0?

I'm with Kalshane on this one. R&G would not attack the party. They are spies and thieves, and have a bit of common sense to boot. They might pack up and leave town, swearing to get you and your little dog too and thus trigger the Target of Revenge, but they wouldn't attack if they odds were so overwhelmingly against them. And before you say "But they've got Raimol ...", they would know what a worthless wimp he is.

6. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Cool, I can agree with that. And it's good.

I guess my problem here is, that they react so retarded after the whole assassin and confronting them thing. They should do SOMETHING more than as Gaear put it ``eh ok that won't happen again...''.

If they are spies, and intelligent ones at that, then they would surely think it wise to bugger off...or something.

I would also like a dialog option which amounts to *the party* starting aggression. (In a holy and righteous manner.)

7. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

My objection is similar to the Ratboy one brought up by Kal in another thread. Once your hooked into the payoffs dialog there is no decent way out of it. I find this to be extremely annoying. It happens no matter what even if you only meant to try and get further info from the traders.

I agree with the spies would never attack you openly. Knife you in the back in a dark alley, sure. Take you on face to face never. It just doesn't fit. You want them dead you kill them. They are proven spies and a threat to the safety of Hommlet. I have no problems initiating combat with them even when playing a lawful or neutral party.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  8. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

yeah it was part of 2.0. i guess she never finished it eh. i had to take off before it was done and was gone a year. oh well lol. well the whole idea was confronting them after reporting the burne, they were going to try to get out of town before anything could happen and so a fight ensued in which at least one of them dies starting the revenge thread. i dont remember all the diologe for it, some pumping for info on who they worked for and such but it came down to a fight starting when they said they were leaving town now.

9. Vendegaar

Vendegaar Cornish Avenger

My CG party has a tough time biding their time to let one of the baddies at the trading post get away in order to start the "Target of Revenge" scenario.

In the past few times thru this, my group wiped out the whole bunch. It was not until reading the past posts on this situation that I realized that one of them had to get away or no "Coming Home Party" in Nulb.

Wouldn't it be possible to trigger this fracas even if the trading post spies was wiped out?

10. rufnredde

Sorry, that is the trigger. It loses the whole plot as written if that is changed. You must have some special characters to kill them so quickly.​

11. Vendegaar

I don't think the troops are all that special - they are 7th level - 3 straight fighters Specialized Bastard Sword, Great Sword, Great axe, 1 F3/Rogue 4, Specialized Long Sword, 1 F3/C4 Specialized Great Sword, 1 F3/Mage 4 Specialized Long sword -Love that glitter dust. All have great cleave.

I dont worry too much about enemies getting in my spellcasters faces. I switch into fighter armor for the spellcasters when I have to go face to face. I think it is worth taking three levels of fighter before changing class - Makes the auxiliary troops MUCH nastier (and they live longer).

Equipment has been upgraded to Masterwork to supplement that gotten from the Giant and Frog leg dinners. The wand of chain lightning gotten in the process of freeing the Prince helps too. (Made a couple of stops before going to find him.)

Those guys at the homecoming party have an awful lot of goodies.

12. rufnredde

I always kill them at a much lower level, they escape if there hitpoints fall to a certain level and they make it to their next turn. Obviously they aren't lasting that long for you.

I just wondered how you were killing them so quickly. Balancing these things in mods is a real challenge. Following the threads the last few months other posts have been 180 out from yours. I like to know what kinds of parties people play and what level they do certain things, to try and compensate for some of this when I mod. Thanks for the feedback.

You wouldn't believe how many people bump their stats up to 30 and console in mega-items and then report it as a bug when they kill everything in one round. ;)

13. Vendegaar

I did console a few things in - Helm of reading magic for example, so I don't have to spend hours resting then ID a few scrolls or potions then rest again - on and on. I don't try to make my troops invincible, just take small items that expedite things I can do anyway - just make it easier.

Now if I can just keep my owl from eating that damn lizard! Both of them in my back-pack at the same time is kind of scary.

14. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Ah, the spys - I also killed them both when my party was level 3 IIRC - loads of loot and experience. I found it very annoying that they'd flee after getting hurt badly by using that dust. Again, I had no idea this was co8 work! :)

I think I played the battle 5-6 times before I got a strategy that dealt enough damage quickly enough to kill them before they vanished. The main issue was room - OMG it was tight in there. Really enjoyed the challenge and it pretty much bumped all my chars up to level 4 in one fell swoop. I always charmed/slept the (innocent?) guard, but ended up killing him by accident :( in my successful attempt at killing the spys. Party is NG, but when they were threatening revenge and not stopping their evil, it was time to put a stop to it! :D

So, this means no revenge stuff for me then? That's a shame, maybe on the next play through, eh?

15. Vendegaar

Running CG or CN parties, I pretty much run a scorched earth policy on the baddies.

I have killed the traders at level 3 or 4 before too. I think that it just happened this way this time because I hadn't gotten around to them yet. I got sidetracked with the broken tower ambush and then went down stairs and took out the two baddies just inside the entrance.

Then I wandered around the second and third floors. after freeing the captives - the Elvan gal and her consort and the Prince - I went back and purposely let one of them go so I could have fun at Nulb.

Our Host!