Orc Quest?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by HobbesMG, Jul 15, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Now I'm completely confused. Went to the ogre cave/lair, and it's not how I remember it. Last time there were ogres firing arrows, raging, and beating the living crap outta my back line after running past my front line - now there's just 5 ogres who are easy to beat. Doesn't bear any resemblence to the 5.0.1 rel notes either. Shame because I was really looking forward to that battle. Five ogres with clubs, who don't even attack unless I target them individually or speak to leader and start battle via dialogue, really isn't much of a challenge for lvl 6 party.

I have a save from just before I entered the cave several levels ago, but that has the same result. I wish I'd tried this tonight before installing the 5.0.1 patch. Maybe my memory is faulty? :shrug:

EDIT: I've figured it out now, I deleted all the files in ToEE/data/scr (as per instructions) and that breaks this quest. Will give you more info after the w/e when I have time.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  2. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

I haven't read your entire posting yet but those archers were Orcs not Ogres. That is the add on quest. The original Ogres are the second part of what your describing and they are still the same as they ever were. Let me read everything and see exactly what you are talking about.

But if the Ogres are there you have missed the window of opportunity to fight with the Orcs. They have been evicted by the Ogres.

Deleting the files with the .pyc extension has nothing to do with breaking the quest, if you deleted any other files you have broken more than just this quest.

From your descriptom it does not sound as if it is broken at all. It is working as I designed it.

Their are two quests. One that has been added and is given to you by Kentner. The other is given in the Temple by Alhrem. If you have accepted the quest from Alhrem the Orcs are gone forever until the next time you play through the game.

It could be something else what do the entries in your logs say.

3. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Okay - gotta be quick as I need to go to bed. I'll try and explain what I think happened. I didn't realise that you had reused the ogre cave for the orcs, but I remembered the orcs and knew that the ogres I was seeing (after the 5.0.1 patch) were not what I remembered. Soon as I clued onto the fact that the same place was being used for the orcs and later the ogres (from orig game) I suspected a script was not running right. So I restored a backup zip of the ToEE/data/scr I had made, ran the game and got the orcs. Extracted the scripts for that dir from the 5.0.1 rar, without deleteing the dor first, and ran game again, still orcs. I've not got far enough into the temple to trigger the ogre thing yet. Still on lvl 1.

Just fought the orcs, and found it rather easy. It may be that there aren't the number there should be since I triggered the quest much earlier with only 5.0.0 installed. When does this get calculated? Anyway I have much more firepower than I did then, and skill, so it was a breeze - they only got 2 hits in on a single one of my chars the entire battle! Stinking cloud to disable/sicken the archers, fireball on top, summon 2 creatures to break up the rush, prayer and bash em to bits worked a treat. I'd pre-buffed with str & enlarge fighter, mage armour, cats for the rogue, haste etc.

The game crashed when I tried to save, so I'll be doing it again after the w/e sometime. Anyway, hope this explanation helps, and appologies for the wild goose chase.

H.

4. rufnredde

No goose chase, Its midnight where you are so hit the hay. I'll think about the crash and post something, post again if you have problems. It calcualtes the first time you enter the cave

5. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Just got a PM from Zeb - he mentioned just deleting the pyc files, and I realised I'd not read the install note correctly and deleted all the files. I'm guessing that the py are python scripts and the pyc are the compiled versions... which mean I killed all the scripts and ruined the orc stuff. What a spanner! :sadblinky

So, I'll try it after w/e and see if deleting the pyc's allow the encounter to scale properly. Shame I'm away for 3 days, because I'd like to try it now. Ho well.

6. rufnredde

Check here when you get back, Zeb and I are on chat right now discussing a fix for you. I will just edit it into this post

7. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Yeah - it's all fine now I didn't delete every file in that directory. Unfortunately it's still not hard enough so I'm gonna fiddle with scripts/proto.tab and make it harder. :dance: (with what you guys have done, it's not too hard to figure out the basics - comments are good!)

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Your first steps on a very slippery slope..... ;)

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Damn straight! It ain't rocket science people, most of what we do is pretty straightforward.

10. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Don't I know it! :eek: I am a programmer by trade, and I've been programming since I was 10 (thats nearly a quarter of a century now :yawn: ) so the scripting doesn't hold much fear. I'd love to help out with co8, but I am not going to offer much just yet for three reasons: 1) I have very little spare time with three kids, a job and a gaming hobby. 2) I tend to get madly interested in whatever it is I'm doing, until the next thing comes along, but I don't like letting people down. 3) I've not even played through the game once yet! :aaaa:

I am a sucker for tricky programming logic problems though, so if you have any like that on KotB Ted - you're welcome to PM me with an overview and see if it catches my interest. As you say, most stuff is straightforward logic wise - the tricky bit is figuring out how to get the game to do what you want. I'm bloody impressed with what you've all figured out.

As for the Orc Quest, I made some changes last night to provide an extra level of scaling which worked quite nicely. I want to tidy it up and submit it to see if you like it - should I submit direct to you RnR since it's your mod I'm messing with, or just to the entire community? Or are there threads detailing CO8 ettiquete that I've missed?

H.

Our Host!