Quick question about data backup

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Greymark, Jul 26, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Greymark

Greymark Member

Normally I have a daily backup run of any game I am currently playing. I hate the thought of having to start over due to a corrupt file or something. In most cases it is a matter of just grabbing the SAVE folder. In TOEE I assume I would need SAVE and PORTRAIT.

What concerns me is that with the modding, data may be stored other places. Can anyone tell me what folder(s) I would need to backup in case a full reinstall was necessary?

Thanks

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Data > modules > [module/s you are playing] > Save (these are your saved games)

and

Data > modules > [module/s you are playing] > Player (these are your level 1 characters and not needed for a saved game to run but are needed if you want to use the same characters for a new game)

These are the only really unique files on your installation unless you've been modding yourself - in which case you need to back up the files/portraits you have modded to put back into your new installation. Not sure why you would want to save the portrait files unless you are using custom portraits which are not available for download or stored elsewhere on your HD.

Everything else is reinstalled from your ToEE CD or by downloading again if you haven't got a copy stored somewhere else.

I know you know this Greymark, but just for reference, sometimes the cause of the problem can be your saved game. Before putting your old saves back into a new installation, check that the problem is no longer present with a quick check with a brand new party. If the problem then returns after you put your old saves in, then there is a good chance you'll just have to scrap those saves.

3. Greymark

Greymark Member

Thanks for the info. I meant Player not Portrait. Guess I should not type posts while on a conference call at work!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

You should not be accepting calls while playing ToEE or visiting Co8 - put them on hold. Priorities, man!

5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

There is one other file you need to back up if you are using the Extraplanar Chest.

modules\<module name>\Bag_of_Holding.mes

This is where the contents of the chest are stored. If you do not back up this file it will not break the saved game, but it will break any Extraplanar Chest you have in them. You will still be able to cast the spell and use the new chest created, but the old ones will not work unless you backed up and restored the file.

Our Host!