Dismissing Spells

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Yiren, Jul 24, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Yiren

Yiren Traveller

How do you dismiss a spell?

I play quite tactically in combat. Planning each move like in chess.

I recently got into a major encounter. My party was attacked on two sides. I cast an obscuring mist to give us some respite, while we regroup in the mist. However, after that, I want the mist to go away, so that we can hit our targets, but that didn't happen.

Please advise. How do you dismiss a spell? Specifically obscuring mist (but there may be others).

Thanks!

2. Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit Pyromancer

There is an option in the radial menu to dismiss a spell.

Not all spells can be dismissed.

Obscuring Mist, for example, isn't dismissable. If you want to see if a specific spell is dismissable, check out The Hypertext d20 SRD. In the spell description (click "Spells", then the spell name), the duration line will end with (D) if the spell is dismissable.

One note when looking up spells: Spell names that refer to a specific person have had the reference stripped off. So instead of "Tensor's Transformation", for example, you'd look up "Transformation"

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

IIRC be careful when using dismiss spells. I could be misremembering (and I'm being too lazy to test for certain right now) but I think it strips off the most recent spell cast first. Which can be quite traumatic in some circumstances.

4. Yiren

Yiren Traveller

Thanks!

Another question - does ranged weapons and ranged attacks always miss in an obscuring mist? ...since all location by sight does not work?

5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

As I understand the spell, it depends on distance but the ranged attacks suffer a massive penalty to hit. It doesn't seem to stop attacks but I've yet to see one hit.

edit: spell attacks may not be affected btw due to the way spells work. Haven't used the spell much so can't confirm or deny whether it works against them.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  6. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

Spells like obsuring mist cause a concealment penalty on the ranged attacks. Not sure exactly what it is, but it's very high. I've only had 1 arrow hit in such a condition.

7. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

I believe 'ob-mist' gives total concealment, =50% miss chance. But I've never seen a hit in one myself. Also, th4e radial allows you to choose which spell to dismiss.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I have not had spellslinger types cast most of all the different spells that can be dismissed, but honestly - with the ones I have had parties use, I have never seen a radial menu expand and list the spells that can be dismissed and have never determined a way to make a selection to dismiss one particular spell from a list of spells.

[EDIT] My understanding is you dismiss the most recent spell cast by a spellslinger type and work back through the list of cast spells in reverse order until you dismiss the spell you want to dismiss.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  9. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

I'm with Krunch on this one. The only thing that shows up in the radial is "dismiss spell". But it never does expand to indicate which one. And it does seem to only be the most recently cast spell that gets dismissed.

On a side note, I've also noticed that Dispel Magic only seems to work on individuals with spell effects on them. It does NOT seem to work on area of effect spells at all (i.e. - web entangle, and obscuring mist). Anyone know if these are created as objects that can be tested in the Dispel Magic spell scripts?

10. Sirian

Sirian The Red Leaf

Spells such as web and entangle cannot be dismissed because the spell conjures a physical element with a limited duration. You can pretty much guarantee if the spell calls something physical into being it cannot be successfully dismissed.

11. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

True... but as a magically created item, it should be able to be Dispelled with a Dispel Magic spell.

12. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

If I was wrong, I'm sorry. I could swear that the last time I actually played, or one of the last times, I acidently went to 'dismiss spell' ( damn lousy mouse driver) and it expanded. i could very easily be mistaken on this, though, it been a while.

EDIT: yep, I was way wrong on this. Damn mouse likes to point at one spot, while actually highlighting another. Only rarely happens , but is quite annoying when it does happen.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  13. Sirian

Sirian The Red Leaf

Absolutely. Unfortunately dispel magic in TOEE just doesn't function properly.

14. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

Well how special... seems that Troika didn't get that one right either. *sigh*

So, do we actually know how it DOES work in the game? Because I have yet to actually be able to use if for anything other than a very specific quest purpose.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

As far as I can tell, it [at least mostly] works from my experience. However, it does tend to leave the visual effect of the spell in place.

Our Host!