Vets, trying to help a noob ToEE'r out, advice?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sheriff05, Jul 21, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

Hey guys

One of my pals has just gotten into ToEE, and is struggling with the vanilla game. He emailed me asking about the loot work around, and If I recall that means he's running Patch 3 with SP2 which is a big No-No. I don't want to intimidate him with the ToEEFE yet. so what's the best solution to get him going, Patch 2 and Direct install of 4.0? I don't remember which Co8 patch has alot of fixes but doesn't require ToEEFE, I think it was Liv's mod coupled with a few other things. Anyway that be great start for him, I need to know which file and the install instructions so I can pass it along ( and where to dig up the old files)

Thanks

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Why not just install Co8 v5? Just tell him to uncheck the box which installs the front end if you think Toffee will be too confusing. That box appears when it asks you which parts of the custom install you want to use.

Works the same with Co8 v4 IIRC and before that, you're relying on your friend installing a whole series of fixes in the right order based on Co8 v3.

edit: so the install order would be:

Patch 1
    Patch 2
    Co8 v5

3. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

Personally, I'd have him remove his install and install fresh with only official patch 1 and 2. DO NOT install patch 3. The game will be buggy but not as bad as with patch 3 installed. Then, after he's played it a bit, I'd have him go ahead and download and install Co8 5.0.0.

4. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

Actually I just got a clearer explanation from him, he's got 5.0 installed with ToEEFE, but he's getting the old error where you can loot bodies, WTF is up with that? that was fixed so long ago..I don't remember exactly what caused it. any idea how to fix that?

5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Is he actually selecting the v5 module when using Toffee and then launching the game?

He could also just have a messed up installation which has reintroduced the old bugs (eg has he patched over a correctly installed v5?)

6. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

possible, I asked him the same thing...I'll suggest he do a reinstall

->core game
    ->Patch 2
    ->5.0

Thanks guys

Our Host!