Corpse Decay

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zebedee, Jul 14, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Hmm, had a bit of shock. You see poor Elmo and Fruella died valiantly fighting Lubash (I took the wrong darned staircase, you've all done it so no sniggering). I returned to Terjon and he tried to rip me off for 2000 gp for two resurrections. So I figured I'd go clear Emridy meadows to get the price down. Got the rainbow rock loot. On the way back to Terjon had a random encounter. And noticed that Fruella and Elmo were no longer listed as my party members. Very odd. Killed the shadows and returned to Emridy Fields, and sure enough in two neat little piles, I found the dynamic duo's equipment.

Any ideas why? (Yes I know I should know this by now, but it has never, ever, happened to me before without me clicking the little red question mark and confirming I wanted to remove them permanently).

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I believe you have 3 days game time to raise them, or they decay. It's always been that way, IIRC.

3. Zebedee

Thanks Blue. Never had it happen to me before and it confused the hell out of me. Never been short of cash before for resurrections (usually because I don't go and play with Lubash at level 2) so it was kind of an odd experience.

So 3 days for a resurrection? Ouch.

4. Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit Pyromancer

I had it happen to me when I was deep in the Temple with the Prince, he died, and I figured it'd be a good opportunity to leave (so I don't lose him) and make some magic items. Went back to Hommlet, rested a bit to read magic a bunch of scrolls, and then discovered that he was gone. Fortunately, I was able to restore a save file.

5. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

I just learned this the hard way, too. Going to have a p.i.t.a. because my previous save was hours ago. Damn me for getting so focused on playing I forget to even quicksave. So, for the record, are we certain it's 3 days?

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I don't think you should be quicksaving anyways - doesn't that screw up some co8 mod features?

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Do not use quicksave.

[EDIT] At the beginning of a game when your party leader talks with Kent in Hommlet, you can make a selection in dialogue that will put Kent in a trance and he informs you about stuff from the modders.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  8. Zebedee

Is quicksave the same as autosave then?

9. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Yes and No, Yes they both cause the game to skip the first heartbeat and sometimes disable the heartbeat, so they should not be used. Not just because of Co8 content, Troika used the First Heartbeat as well. So you miss content and mess up the game if you choose to use this option.

No because you have to initiate a quicksave/quick load with the F9 and F12 keys. It can not be turned on and off in the options it should just not be used.

10. Zebedee

Thanks ruf. I was aware of the problems with autosave, but not with quick save too. I just got confused because people were referring to them as if they were the same. Don't use either anyway. But always good to know when something can cause problems.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  11. Sokaijin

Definite thanx on the q-save. I never noticed that Kent said anything about it, I did see the auto-save there and in the readme file. could this be what's causing my game to hang on map changes? It only happens when I'm leaving a building, hasn't caused a CTD (yet), but it does worry me.

12. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Quicksaves have a tendency to corrupt your save directory, which leads to random bugs like secret doors not appearing. They shouldn't have an effect on heartbeats scripts and the like likethe auto-save function, though.

13. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

I've taken to going to Jaroo for my "got another PC killed" needs - I've been paying something like 225 GP for Reincarnations - nobody's come back as a badger yet! (And WHY OH WHY would you WANT to resurrect Fruitella? :eek:mg: )

14. Zebedee

Roleplaying old chap ;)

15. Sokaijin

Masochism, maybe, or just to watch her get killed again and again...?

Our Host!