[IMPORTANT] A campaign to get the official tools released

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Agetian, Jun 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

Will you participate in the petition to get the official tools released?

1. Yes

391 vote(s)
    97.8%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. Not sure

6 vote(s)
    1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avduray01

avduray01 Member

This game has so much potential. Turn-based DnD is great and I will offer whatever support I can to CO8's petition.

2. Cazk

Cazk Member

Count me in.

3. Revord

Revord Member

Ok, well I tried to vote in the poll, but couldnt. Ive been away for a while, but am back simply because I enjoy the mods. Im not a modder, and probably will not ever be one, but this idea has my support.

One thing puzzles me though...Someone said something about Atari not wanting to release modding tools. However, (I know this is a different genre) Unreal Tournament series has an extrodinarily large modding community. It does come with One editor. There are other tools that are needed in order to successfully mod the game, but the community is out there, and very active. Am I mistaken in thinking that UT is an Atari game? I know Epic has a part to play in this as well, but I thought Atari did too. If this is the case, I just cant imagine why they would have such a hard time with something that in corporate terms is so dead. It would seem to me that they would be glad to throw a bone to some eager fans, and see what they could do with it. You should see some of the user created content that is released for the UT series. Absolutely fantastic. Better than the retail released content in many cases.
    Revord

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I have no clue as to how many avid D&D, CRPG gamers there are out there but I love the way ToEE plays. Yes, i'm an old timer (59), started playing in 79 and dming. ToEE is a good, cool game and the dedicated modders have made it so much better. Anything that will enhance the game is fine with me. I don't think Atari, WotC, Hasbro really cares, unless it costs them money. High quality mods like co8 that cause people to go out and buy the cd are not bad for business. I really hope 5.0 is a HUGE success. I have a good gut feeling it will be.

5. MB

MB Member

You've got my YES vote:wavey:

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

C'mon u lurkers, sign up and vote! We only need 1 more to make 100.

7. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

Guess I'm #100 :)

8. Havoc

Havoc Member

I dont think 101 votes will make a difference. Atari is one of those big companies which will just make players suffer with games that are released too early (buggy). I just hope they will give permission... but its just hope...

9. sailmaker

sailmaker Member

Count me in.

10. Orion11349

Orion11349 Member

I do not have the time or skills to help out with modding the game, I lurk and very rarely post. I much admire the dedication and skills of all of the modders here.

Keep up with the good work.

11. jimy_effe

jimy_effe Lawful, at best

I'm not a modder or some kind of helping guy, just a fan of ToEE and the Co8 work...so count on me, if it could be a help

12. techess

techess Member

I just wanted to add my support also. I'm new here and found the site because I was having so much trouble playing ToEE. I was just about ready to give up on it until I found the Humble PC addition. In finding that I added the Co8 mod pack that fixed most of the other problems/annoyances I was having. (My stupid NPC druid kept looting armor and getting encumbered and then didn't want to sell it!)

I am all for releasing tools to help those who want to add to the game. I have tons of RPG's at home that when I've finished them they get tossed on a shelf and never looked at again. (That also doesn't do a lot to encourage me to buy their sequels. $50 for a game I play once or twice isn't worth it to me.)

I am not a modder. I won't use the tools, but I will use the modules others create. For example Warcraft III came out in 2002, but I still download maps and play the game several times a month nearly 4 years later. It still is one of the most popular games at the LAN Parties I attend. When a new version comes out I will buy it immediately and not even wait for the price to drop because I know I'm going to get my moneys worth. I'll also get every expansion pack right when they come out.

Thanks

13. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

I'll sign it.Ypu guy's could do wonders with the offical tools.

14. Zombiemonk

Zombiemonk Member

I haven't logged in since July of 2005. I come by every now and then, sort of like how a poor man walks by the BMW dealership. Awe, jealousy, and a good dose of "God that looks so fine". I just now voted yes.

Now, my two cents...

Someone here said that modders are looked on unfavorably by game designers. That's very sad if it's true. I am more then a little bit upset about Desslock's rant against modding in this month's Pc Gamer. (I'm a fan of his since the old days, 98-99, when his website was indie and continually updated.) You see, you guys...all of you and the people like you, are gods in this hobby. You are the Zeus', the Apollo's, the Valkyrie's bringing the forgotten dead to valhalla and making them feared warriors. You are the devoted fans who, because this world is controlled by idiots with too much money, are unable to take your rightful place within the upper echelons of the CRPG industry. Oh sure, you have companies like Piranha bytes, Arkane Studios and Larian, but most of your hardcore gamers...REAL CRPG'ers, are stuck doing mods.

I'll be honest, mods are a deciding factor in what games I buy. If Oblivion (Which sucks compared to Arena and Daggerfall) didn't have the editor, I wouldn't have bought it. I have made countless little "me too" add-ons to morrowind, but it is the huge improvements (Such as the better faces, working banks, difficulty balancing) that made me actually PLAY the game.

I've been playing CRPGs (Yes, there is a HUGE difference between PC and Console RPGs) since I grabbed POR for my Commodore 64 in 1988, and have never once looked back. I STILL play the goldbox games to this day and sing their praises to anyone I meet online in rpg forums or chat rooms. Though D&D CRPGs do still come out from time to time, they are simply too watered down for me to enjoy. ToEE was a huge disappointment.

Until you guys fixed it. DL'ed the Co8 mod a year ago (With livonya's mod) and fell in love with a game that I had reluctantly banished.

Ok, ranting, veering off track. Basically, All I'm saying is that you folks are the single solitary reason why this hobby rocks and always shall. Anyone who does not accept the *FACT* that modders are the lifeblood of the CRPG hobby is, well, wrong. :thumbsdow

I was banned form the POR2 board back when that game came out. Fell into that argument that "You only like the game because its turn based".

Well, you know what? There is a VAST untapped goldmine waiting out there for a classic turn based D&D CRPG. If someone actually made the attempt to do it right, they'd make a mint.

/end rant :blahblah:

15. Yiren

Yiren Traveller

I fully support this campaign. Let me just add a few words beyond the request for the toolsets.

If you think about it, the core modders are in fact DMs. They took a "boxed set", albeit a digital one, and improved it, customised it, added the latest from new source books to it. This is exactly what the DMs used to do to the old paper-&-pencil boxed sets. The only difference is that a paper-&-pencil DM's work was only available to his own players, while a ToEE modder DM's work is available to players the world over.

The chief failing with the available CRPGs is that they are all (a) real-time and (b) player-centric. In fact, I think there is a market for CRPGs that are BOTH player-centric AND DM-centric AND turn-based. For the DM-centric part, it means adding tools for DMs (i.e. modders) to customise the world a little bit. To be absolutely clear, I am NOT talking about a product that just has world builders. The product must have BOTH content AND tool-sets. This is exactly what the old paper-&-pencil box sets are like.

That is why I am looking forward to the "Keep of the Borderlands" module being built now. It is exactly another iteration of the product I described (ToEE was the first). I could take it and mod it.

To conclude, I would be very supportive of an expanded movement to get the engine to create new content "modules" (beyond ToEE and KotB) and new tools that DM-players like me can customise then try out those changes. The Co8 community has started down this path. I hope you can consider going all the way. Do let me know if any of you are interested...

Yiren.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!