Ghoul chest WTF

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rundor, Jul 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rundor

Rundor Member

Ok I am prettys sure for some reason you guys either decided to mess with the open lock dcs and went completely overboard, or there is a bug. I have furnok in the party with an open lock skill of freakin 9 (when we are a 2nd level party) and tools and he can't open the ghoul chest in the moathouse?! So a chest for probably level highest 3 adventurers has a dc 30 open lock now... Thats sensible..

I remember playing through the regular game and my rogue who probably had 20 dex and at level 2 had 5 ranks in open lock, so he had 10 and I remember having no problem opening it.

So if I run into this with other chests the game is basically unplayable. :angry:

2. Rundor

Rundor Member

Yeap the game is basically worthless now, crawfish chest is doing the same thing. Wonderful.

3. Rundor

Rundor Member

omg and now the monk will not use flurry of blows, and besides the bs chest dcs what did you guys do to the rolling system, it is absolutely HORRID 100% as in ALL of the time. Thats it this game is deleted I hate to be blunt but you guys made this game WORSE.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You sound like the type of person who would have done that regardless of what was going on; just looking for one excuse or another. You've made, what, 3 posts(?)...all of them negative & all within the same hour or so of the very first one. Don't run off your mouth & blame people for stuff when you would have done it anyway regardless. If you want it gone, then delete it & STFU. Get rid of yourself while you're at it, since you are obviously prone to fits of nonsense. Now, if you want to stay & talk to people & figure out what might be wrong, then feel free to do that, too. Just calm down & give everyone here a chance to help you before you go crying foul.

5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

:flamed:

Just for the record, I don't think any changes to the rolling system have been documented since Troika tried to patch it. It's fubar all on its own.

The lock stuff was added by Livonya as a reason to actually have a rogue who concentrated in the related skills. It also gives a reason to return to spots in the game which previously you'd vist once and never go back to.

If that screws the game for the OP, frankly, tough shit. Delete the mod or amend it for your own personal use or even write your own. Return to the joys of vanilla patch 3. Have fun.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Wait a minute guys - he's right:

- Liv upped the DC on the crayfish chest, which in and of itself truly rendered the entire game 'basically worthless.'

- Plus, somebody - I think maybe it was Allyx - secretly tampered with Monks to eliminate their use of flurry of blows.

- And then their was the equally secret and subversive plot to fubar the RNG. I think that was Ted.

In the end, it's easy to see how Rundor's running into a couple more high DC chests will make the game 'basically unplayable.'

We should be ashamed of ourselves. :yeaaa:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

You and your damn sleves.:writersbl

8. DrakoShade

DrakoShade Philosopher

Hmm... really?

More difficult DCs on the chests make the game worthless? Bad luck with the dice make the game worthless? When was I going to get the memo on these facts? Everything's supposed to be easy and go perfectly all bloody day?

Well, there goes every fun moment of tabletop D&D I've ever enjoyed! Every challenge my party ever faced is now utterly worthless! Every time we went back into a dungeon to explore again after gaining a few levels was without meaning! All that thrill of challenge and discovery was nothing at all, because we didn't succeed the first time around.

If you'll excuse me, I feel a sudden need to shower after spewing that filth, even in irony.

9. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Are you looking for a roasting? Or do you actually want some helpful replies?

Seriously, enquiring minds want to know.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Actually, you're more than mistaken - you are absolutely wrong. The next time you install and play ToEE and it has any combination of a few hundred or more different problems and, or issues, just remember what you are cussing about at that future time [and would like to ask help concerning] has most likely already been fixed by someone in a Co8 MOD release. You are not required to download and apply a Co8 MOD to the ToEE game for you to play the ToEE game. If you don't like any Co8 MODs, don't download and install any Co8 MODs. Happy motoring.

11. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Gee, I didn't know I was supposed to act a spoiled child and have a hissy-fit because the game is[whine] "really hard now" [/whine]. The monk thing sounds like it sucks. Why'd he do that? Or, was it an unfortunate side-effect of other stuff? I usually don't play monks, so, meh. The DC's on the chests might be slightly higher than needed, but I eventually got them open. Maybe should of added a little extra loot as a reward for the increased effort, oh well. All around not many problems here:D, unless you count the marital dysfunction caused by my constant playing/ learning to mod. Which, I know, Co8 has absolved itself of all reaponsibility for. It's all good, my game needs me. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

12. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

@Sokaijin: Gaear was being sarcastic. No one has done anything to monk's flurry of blows or the RNG.

I do think the lock DCs on the chests are too high, but I already had that arguement with Liv back in the day. I understand her reasoning, but it doesn't work so well in application. That said, it hardly makes the game worthless.

13. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

On the monks: whew
    on the rest: agreed. I was only mildly... frustrated(?) by the higher DC's, which actually added to my joy when finally they opened. Still not getting the one in Hommlet ( you know at the smithy). I never give up as the guy in the opener, and I'll get it open sooner than later. I like what you guys have done with ToEE, as I was getting rather pissy with bugs and lack of any real challenge in the beginning/ middle.:up: and drinks all around. Don't woory Ted, No new hairdo's today.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Bugger, I missed this when it was still flameworthy. Stupid RealLife (TM).

Has anyone else noticed a problem with Flurry of Blows?

O and Rundor? I gotta thank you, just today i was looking for an excuse to resurrect this pic (kudos to whoever posted it the first time):

Attached Files:

15. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

IIRC, the ghoul/crayfish/etc chests with these OH-MY-GOD-THE-GAME-IS-RUINED DCs don't even contain stuff which is orgasm-worthy. Do they? I'm pretty sure I don't remember what is in them, so it's surely nothing amazing.

Our Host!