Further Respawning & a Feature Request

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, May 31, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I am not suggesting we have PC wizards using a spell book, I am just suggesting it would make a cool item to find on enemy wizards.

What about this for a simple workaround: you find an item, labelled 'spellbook', inv thing Lareth's diary. You try to use it: it makes a dc check against your Spellcraft. If it succeeds, the item is destroyed and 10 (or whatever) appropriate scrolls are created in your inventory. If not, either you keep the spellbook til next time you wanna try (nice) or it is ruined (nasty) or it explodes a la a Staff of Power and does you damage (downright evil) or whatever the rules say (Kalshane).

Just a thought :shrug:

2. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

I knew that:) I was just outlining my test results, the copy part works ok and you can just not make it usable for casting the spells. That was just a quick look. Anything is possible, I suppose, if someone is interested in working on it. I did a quick test, but have to many other projects to work on it full time right now, I suppose I could but kinda wanted to finish the bankers dialog first among other things. So like I said happy to make it work then when I have more time:)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Is there any way to make the spellbook only copy-able, rather than castable? It really shouldn't function as a scroll. They're two different things.

As for what happens when you screw-up trying to copy a spell from a spellbook? A whole lot of nothing. You have to wait until you get another rank in Spellcraft to try again, but that's it.

4. rufnredde

As I said in an earlier post. But I also said that the spellcraft check would only be done once for the entire book. So I don't know if that is a rules problem.

I am not personally in favor of the spellbook idea, simply because its value to the game, doesn't seem worth the effort to make it work IMO. However as I stated before
    If that is what everyone wants, its not a problem.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  5. Salk

Salk Established Member

My 2 cents opinion is that I have never really liked respawn as game concept so I'd never want to see extra respawn introduced by any mod. Rather I'd like to take them out and just leave those which have some logic behind them like random meetings in the wilderness when you travel.

6. rufnredde

No one is stuffing the respawns down your throat, if you don't desire to play the respawns, or find them illogical just don't play them, you just never trigger the dialog and its like it isn't even there. That goes for any mod that is ever introduced, I can not think of one that forces you to play it. Rules fixes on the other hand are universal.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Sorry, I missed that. But, yeah, the single Spellcraft roll is an issue. It should be a separate roll for each spell.

That and if you get it up and running, then you'll have people asking why PC mages don't have spellbooks, because they have two wizards in their party and they want to be able to trade spells between them. Which will be an even bigger headache.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The very idea behind these re/prespawns we've been working on is that they are logical: you clear out the Moathouse; it doesn't remain empty forever after (how likely would that be?), instead it is repoulated to a limited degree by other "nasties" (quoting Zert) with motivations and agendas all their own.

Maybe you're confusing this with that old, irritating goldbox method of implementing 'random' encounters, which was that you would 'randomly' encounter some group of wandering monsters every 20 feet, no matter how many hundreds you had already killed. That made no sense at all.

9. Salk

Salk Established Member

Thanks for making it clear, Gaear! I appreciate it...What you suggest souns actually much more logical to my ears.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Thanks Ted, put me on the spot why don't you.
    Ok how about this...

A wizard has a (Terjon's) bookcase in his laboratory/study, with learn only scrolls inside?

A little, copy/paste/edit can make the scrolls, a little .mobbing in WB can add the container no mess, no problem (wizard PC's can't really cart around the whole bookcase though)?

11. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Hmmm, would it be possible to add a Lareth's Diary style GUI that open to a "Contents" page with spells listed. Each spell listed would be a seperate scroll that you could attempt to memorize (and the game could check) individualy. By seperate of course I mean behind the scenes, there would be no icon's or means of accessing them except through the spellbook.

Cuchulainn.

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You could do it via "dialogue" with the spell book EG...

[Spellbook] You open the book and look through the table of contents...
    [PC] Analyze Dweomer (detach this page?)
    [PC] Delayed Blast Fireball (detach this page)
    etc, etc...

The option you choose creates the learn only scroll noted above and adds a flag to remove that spell from the books options.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Except he's a cleric & has no need for a spellbook. Now Senshock, on the other hand...:D

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

he said lareth styled book - not his inparticular, and anyway there are heaps of wizards in ToEE that could have a book, and IIRC you could even set a level limit on access to certain pages

15. DrakoShade

DrakoShade Philosopher

IIRC, a wizard can copy any spell he wants into his spellbook, assuming he can pass the Spellcraft check DC to do so (which I believe is directly linked to the level of the spell in question.) It is quite possible to copy scrolls into your spell book (destroying the scroll in the process) several levels before you can actually cast them.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if you're going to limit which pages you can see, it should be based on your overall Spellcraft modifier compared to the DC of learning the spells.

Speaking of which... do you automatically succeed on a natural 20? I don't think so, when it comes to skill checks. Thus, you could limit which pages appear to those you can transcribe with a natural 20 + your modifier. (Of course, that probably means the whole book very early on, making the whole thing pointless.)

I've now officially talked myself in a circle. I guess what I'm saying is that it's pointless to hide any of the pages. If they're read-only, rather than castable scrolls, then there's no point in hiding them.

Edit: --------------------------------TANGENT ALERT-------------------------------------
    On a completely different tangent, I feel that wizards should be able to learn cleric spells if they can find a scroll and copy it. After all, for the wizard it's a process of memorizing the right movements, words, and materials. For a cleric, it's having that knowledge divinely shoved into your head as a reward for your faith. If the cleric writes down what he's been force-fed, a wizard should be able to memorize it, thus adding it to his class list! Then again, that's just my opinion.

It's based, of course, on the fact that there are multiple spells which are on both class lists already. Some spells, of course, require direct divine action-- Miracle comes to mind. Those, of course, shouldn't be transferrable (unless you have a particularly devout wizard and he happens to find a scroll written by somebody who worships the same deity, thus giving the wizard exact instructions on how to contact his own deity and ask for help.)

I've always held that there is a far blurrier line between divine and arcane magic than the D&D rules state. I know, it's just a matter of opinion. I just had to get it off my chest, since the whole thing bugs me intensely. A wizard can cast any spell he's of high enough level to cast, assuming he has it in his book to memorize. A cleric can cast any spell she's of high enough level to cast, assuming that she knows it exists so she can ask her deity for knowledge of how to cast it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
Our Host!