The 5.0.0 beta 1 Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, May 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Re: Co8 5.0.0 beta 1 thread

.... i seem to be losing it... where is the ogre cave prespawn... haven't seen it in my run throughs:writersbl

2. Hunter

Hunter Digging KOTB

Ruf,

The orc fighters are finally using their falchions in my game. I played it from a level 4 save and it was a damn fun battle. Really nice work.

3. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Glad to hear it is finally working!!!

I knew that, I may need to add that bit of code to make it work, but as I said before it wasn't doing it on my install so it was frustrating. I added the code bit by bit because I didn't want to add anything it didn't need.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone, let me know if you find any other problems.

The ogre cave prespawn is found by talking to the town elder, Kentner, in the big manor house, it has to be before you get the quest for the ogres or even hear about it. It is meant for level 1-3 level characters, and is brand new, so it would be very easy to miss. Try it out and let me know what you think:)

4. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I just finishe the old game and have started a chaotic Neutral group... inclusive of "Giant" will run it now

5. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

... you might want to make that a level 2-4 battle...the orcs were definitely tweaked.. they ran through level 1's like a hot knife through butter ....

I wonder what the sewers of homlet would hold.. could be a lvl 1-2 area with rats, bats and other vermin on two legs... maybe a guild of beggars (thieves).

6. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

?????

You realize you've got a bunch of CR 2 creatures in there, with a couple of CR 4s, right? I imagine any party below 3rd level is going to be in serious trouble with this fight, and even 3rd level characters are likely to have a tough fight on their hands.

Homlett's too small to have sewers. Verbebonc might, but Homlett and Nulb wouldn't.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The monkeys don't seem to play well at times. Sometimes, they twiddle their thumbs and wait [I seen 'em do it, really - I did!] until hit in combat to actively engage in melee. Other times, they shoot at the enemy and, then, run toward the enemy. Sometimes, they don't like to draw their falchion. Is your "orc_cave_respawn_fix_2.rar" fix, now, included in CtB update? Or, do I need to additionally add it to the game?

Otherwise, orcs are now finally in the game, and I'm happy about that. Killing orcs in D&D is a good thing and should be on everyone's "To Do" list - get milk and bread, fetch some water, buy new arrows, kill some orcs, etc.

[EDIT] I'll download and apply your 2.rar tonight and see if that fixes it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  8. bigron

bigron Member

Went back to do orc cave after installing fix. Made silly mistake of rushing them with out protecting my spell casters, They drooped there bows, grabbed the falchons and charged the spell casters got ugly fast.:eek:mg: Seems to be working like it should.
    Also the masterwork items are working for the blacksmith after you bring the head of the giant:grin:

9. DogBoy

DogBoy Goofy Cavalier

I'm in the saddle now, pard.

I notice that when I have my lvl 3 wizard use the Scribe Scroll skill, I can get a scroll of any level spell that she knows. She has learned all of the available spells - so she can create an effectively unlimited number of Teleports, Ice Storms, Improved Invis., etc. without having the required level to cast them. Is this a bug that needs to be fixed? Or is it undocumented functionality that I should exploit? ;)

I am Shining Ted's Neutral-with-good-tendancies twin (as opposed to his Evil twin), but from another Prime (or relatively prime) Material plane - the Plane Without Peas. Same as this one - only MUCH fewer peas.

He's the one you should have said this to. Not many peeps like being favourably comared to a dogboy...

I'll do that now (and thanks for the dogbody compliment)...

10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Crafting scrolls still costs you XP and gold. However, no, you shouldn't be able to craft a scroll for a spell you can't cast, since you have to be able to actually cast the spell in order to scribe it.

So yes, it's a bug, but I don't see it as game-breaking since you still do have to pay the money and XP costs involved. I'd say it's something that should be fixed eventually, but is hardly a priority.

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hmmm...I see that you've yet to meet Cujo. He's the O.C. (Original Canine) in these parts. Though he claims to be semi-retired.

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

yeah Claims but I think its a lie, he keeps showing up all the time.

13. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

OK guys, I used the SectorSort tool in order to sort all static objects in the Co8 5.0.0 module according to the loading order the ToEE engine expects them to be in. This is done to prevent possibly rare, but quite bad bugs with disappearing scenery, doors, and so on. Such bugs may be rare, but I remember some people reporting problems with Frank's door and possibly something else, so it's better not to play with fire and avoid the possibility of such bugs by making sure that the sector files 100% conform to the game engine rules.

If someone cares about this, I have enclosed an archive which contains the updated sector files. This file needs testing, so please, those of you who have time and who work on making 5.0.0 better, please try installing these sector files and test them so they don't cause any problems for you. My personal tests have showed that the files work just right, but who knows what I may be missing and what other people may encounter. If this set of files proves to work OK, I'd suggest to include it in the cumulative fixes. If the files cause any trouble, I'm ready and willing to work on the SectorSort utility and improve the sorting algorithm in order to ensure that the thing works correctly.

NOTE: If you encounter a bug with these files, please make sure you're not getting the same bug without these files as well. I'd recommend running two separate installations of Co8 5.0.0 with and without the sorted statics installed in order to compare.

NOTE 2: As long as you're not getting CTDs and disappearing scenery/doors, especially upon revisiting the same map for the second time, the files should be fine.

P.S. All sector files are based on Co8 5.0.0 beta1 + the latest set of Cumulative Fixes (24 Jun 06).

- Agetian

[EDIT by Cerulean the Blue] This is included in the Cumulative Fixes.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks Ag :)
    Well thats a relief. Thanks for the feedback :)
    I did a what now? :blink:

15. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Okay folks. I'm drawing the line.

Deadline for New Material: June 30th
    @Shiningted: That means that it must be posted before 12:00 AM GMT on July 1st.

Deadline for testing and bug fixes: July 7th
    @Shiningted: That means that it must be posted before 12:00 AM GMT on July 8th.

Let the games begin.

Please posts any objections you may have to these deadlines.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
Our Host!