Ferros' Character Editor Questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Malhavoc, Jun 25, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Malhavoc

Malhavoc Cyborg General

I recently acquired this rather nifty character editor and I was checking out the 'Feats' feature when I noticed something a bit odd. 70% of the feats listed aren't even in the game. An example would be the 'Exotic Weapon Profieciency' for the Kama, Net, Whip, Two-Bladed Sword, etc. I figured they were additions that could be found in either a mod or a patch somewhere. I thought I'd ask here seeing as you guys are the top modders when it comes to ToEE. By the way keep up the fantastic work. Hard to find people who enjoy the classic D&D computer games these days. So anyway, any ideas if such a mod/patch exists?

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Those feats are in the code, but were never implemented in the game (if you put them on a character, they don't do anything). They are from the original game, not a Co8 mod.

And it's not 70% that aren't in the game. Many of them are "behind the scenes" feats, i.e. feats you can't take on level up, but you may get for class.

3. Malhavoc

Malhavoc Cyborg General

Thanks. It was a little confusing.

4. Malhavoc

Malhavoc Cyborg General

Crap. Now I'm having real issues. I tried applying the Kama Profieciency feat to a fighter I was making and the blasted thing keeps crashing. Not just the editor but the game as well. Like when I select what alignment I want my party to be. If my fighter is included in that alignment the thing buggers and burns. What's worse is now I can't even re-edit him because TCE crashes when I try to load him up on it. Any ideas?

5. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

Re-install the game, and stay away from editors from then on? :grin:

6. Malhavoc

Malhavoc Cyborg General

lol. Wish I could. The game still runs... after I deleted my fighter from the ToEE directory. Yet I really want to give my guy dual kamas. *sigh* Alas I may have to give up my dream.

7. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Wel mr Havoc, sounds like what happened is you (the TCE) corrupted the character, if you have a pre -edit save of the character you can try it again. The crashing you were noticing in the character creation screen was the game trying to load the bad file, same-same for trying to reload it into the TCE. It crashes when it comes across data it can not interpet. It may be that the Kama feat is not the right size for the field for feats in the section of the character object and will not save, or that it never worked correctly to begin with, regardless it is something of that nature.

Get to the point you say;) ah yes I had that point here somewhere, ah there it is sticking in my ass. Well the point is that new information about the characters object file, and the way the game operates is fast becoming available. In the meantime your stuck with, another attempt at character editing, taking a stab at hex editing the character or just waiting around.

If you do have a pre-edited character and the corrupted character and wanted to zip them up and post them here, I would be glad to take a look at them and see if I can do anything with them. I like to dabble:). Oh and if you happen to know where I can download a copy of the character editor that would be great to as I have heard about it but have never been able to find it.

I'm not sure exactly what a kama is but I would be happy to try and lend a hand.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Kama was added, and it was given 'weapon type - kama' in the protos.tab. Preumably the game has no issue with this becuase such things are in the files, BUT not implemented.

I would suggest it be changed to weapon-type 'dagger' or whatever is closest to a kama. Perhaps the long-description.mes could also be updated with the weapon type for such exotic weapons so people know what to choose.

9. Malhavoc

Malhavoc Cyborg General

Thanks for the advice. The character doesn't really matter to me. I was just goofing and made him to see if I could get the editor to work. I'll keep trying but in the meantime... here's the link you wanted. They have the v0.7 and the source code for Ferros' v0.8. Let me know if this gives you any ideas or helps.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/ToEE/index_editors.php

10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

The problem with this solution is 1) a kama is a specialty monk weapon which allows Flurry of Blows. Changing it to dagger would prevent flurrying (other options could cause problems for monks, depending on the weapon in question.) 2) The weapon proficiency type seems to control sound effects and possibly attack animations for the weapon in question.

In all honesty, kama are a poor choice for any class other than monks. They do 1d6 x2 damage and require a feat to use. Plus, since kama in the game are represented by picks, visually, at least, you'd get the same effect by dual-wielding 2 light picks (though you'd be doing 1d4 X4 damage instead.)

Our Host!