Further Respawning & a Feature Request

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, May 31, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. pippetta

pippetta Member

How about creating the Wizard SpellBoock (maight be created a spelbook image for necromancer, or evocator or...)

Also could be nice haveing the holly symbol of your good in your cleric or paladin inventory...

If i do remember correctly, in D&D u must focalize the divine power into a holly raffiguration of your good in order to turn undead...

Last i suggest to create a list of problems requiring hack of temple.dll so that if someone willing (and able) to do it could find out rapidly aniting that need to be fixed...

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I think the file you've posted isn't the one you intended.

3. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

I read it Spike and I think that is what SMG225 meant to post, I think he is suggesting no dialog with the dragon itself, other than it trying to parlay with the party if its hitpoints fall too low.

The Mother Screng bit is what is being suggested as a trigger for the encounter to get you there after the fishing trip.

I believe that the intention is that while you are there hunting herbs you are ambushed by the Black, and since it is an ambush all the other Dragon dialog has been scraped for this encounter.

I think its a viable trigger if it doesn't conflict with Gaear's voice overs.

4. Lord_Spike

I see now...I couldn't read it that well, 'cause my glasses didn't fit while my head was up my ass...

Now that I've managed to remove it, I think it's perfect.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I knew focalise was a word! Take that, 5th grade English teacher! :angry:

Holy Symbols will appear in KotB for clerics and druids (mistletoe? Wand of lignum vitae?)

6. pippetta

pippetta Member

???? what???

so... what about the spellbook?

7. rufnredde

I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for Pip if you are just looking for a book icon to take up an inventory slot, then try typing give 11000 into the console and you will have a book to carry around.

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

My issue with having holy symbols and spellbooks in inventory is the space is limited enough as is. Holy symbols, at least, are of negligable weight and size and don't take up a slot. Spellbooks make a bit more sense, since they do take up space in a wizard's inventory but a holy symbol would be out of the way and mistletoe probably sits in the pouch with the druid's material components.

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

fo·cal·ize (British fo·cal·ise) verb
    Inflected Forms: -ized (British -ised); -iz·ing (British -is·ing)
    transitive: to confine to a limited area
    intransitive: to become confined to a limited area
    see also: fo·cal·iza·tion (British fo·cal·isa·tion) noun

10. Macer Deathstriker

Macer Deathstriker Member

Could you change the inventory space to make it a bit larger? or maybe add extra slots to the side for a spell book or holy symbol? Or is that hard coded in the Dll? would be kinda cool if you could just pick up a different spell book to use and change your spell repertory.

Though if you could go the way of adding a space for a spell book you need to have the available spells to be linked to that spot so if you have no book there or a different book the spells would change in accordance.

Macer

11. rufnredde

Sorry Macer there are no provisions for such things in the program, and you are right about the inventory slots being hardcoded, so adding or changing that is virtually impossible.

There is the possibility that a spellbook could be scripted, but I’m not sure of the value of such a thing. The only class that actually uses a spellbook is Wizard and the way that the spellbook is currently implemented is on the Magic tab, you can copy scrolls if you find them into your own spellbook now; and the way Wizards are you can not actually cast any spells from another Wizards spellbook, without a high percentage chance of failure. I feel it is unlikely that a wizard would carry more than one spellbook.

But if you want to travel down that road be my guest, I would be happy to point you in the right direction, if you want to take a crack at modding it. I plan to write a tutorial about game structure and how things work together at some point, but don’t expect that I’ll have anything useful to publish until autumn at the earliest. My dance card is full right now.

On a separate topic, I have some fixes to post for the Ogre Cave Prespawn, I expect them to be fully tested and up, by tomorrow morning at the latest.

Edit - I put the fixes on the 5.0.0 beta thread, because the cave prespawn has been included in the cumlative fixes and has become part of the beta. I have a question for everyone, should the prespawn be a logbook type quest? For the moment it is not I think I'll start a poll on a thread just for the orcs, to find out what should be done

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  12. Macer Deathstriker

Macer Deathstriker Member

Well I must admit that I am a Ad&D 2nd Edition preferred fan, so I never use the classes such as Sorcs or Monks and I tend to only think of the wizards anyway. But seeing you can't swap books in the inventory then you could have them found on NPCs and add their spells to your book though the scribe/learn spell option. Would beat finding 10 scrolls on a NPC and just find 1 book that you could pull a few spells to learn from and that you failed to learn could convert to a scroll or disappear. Or you could just have the option to sell it.

As for Modding I wouldn't know where to start even with a guide I am script Illiterate. But if you do find away to add a book/holy symbol icon to the inventory and can link them to the memorized spells it would then give you a chance to add some sort of capture to the party and prevent the wizards or cleric/druids from casting spells till they find their gear.

Macer

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

A spellbook u find on enemy spellcasters that has a few in it, like a scroll wih 10 spells, that sounds like a good idea. I wonder if we can do that? Sounds like an Allyx question.

14. Lord_Spike

Senshock's book would be worth quite a bit of $$.

15. rufnredde

The book presents quite a few problems, because of the way the program is laid out. I did a few tests with to see about the viablity of doing this. You can in the protos put up to ten spells into a book. You can then copy the book into your spellbook using {copy scroll} with no problem, well sort of it only does one spellcraft check for the whole book.

The other problem is that if you do cast anything from the book it casts all ten spells in order, which is kinda of cool to watch, but I'm not sure if its a viable option for the game.

There is a radial menu option in one of the .mes files, that isn't currently used, possibly because it doesnt work? I need to look into that is called "decypher wriiten magic" or something similar I can't recall at the moment.

Ted mentioned Allyx and I will be sure to consult him when he returns from holiday, since he has the most background in scrolls.

I don't see anything here that can't be worked around with a little time, testing and creative scripting. If there is enough interest in this for future use, I'll be glad to get to it when I can or give whatever I have to anyone that is interested in trying to do something sooner.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
Our Host!