The 5.0.0 beta 1 Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, May 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. haywood

haywood Member

Re: Co8 5.0.0 beta 1 thread

Dialogue bugs:
    1. Talking to Preston Wetz, you say "Is there no one in town who can with your toothache?". It should say "can help".
    2. Talking to Hruda, you say "I shouldn't be here. Good bye". It should say "Goodbye".
    3. Opehelia says "some of the better folk my start coming around". It should say "might", not "my".

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

It time to start thinking about moving 5.0.0 out of beta. To that end I have started this thread. Bug posts will still go here.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Does anyone know if the giant frog at Imeryd's Run (not the behometh king frog, but his little buddy) is scripted to always secure first initiative in that battle? I became suspicious after a familiar looking reload and then tried it ten additional times in a row. Each time he had first initiative and scored a 'surprise' (oh goodness!) hit on a spellcaster.

Which begs the question: should frogs be able to differentiate between armored and non-armored prey, internalize the meaning of these observations as affects their available combat tactics, form an attack strategy based on this understanding, and subsequently put this discriminatory approach into play with unfailing precision? :scratchhe

4. Cerulean the Blue

It is because giant frogs lay in wait for prey, just below the surface of the water, with only their eyes above the surface. This gives them a huge bonus on initiative. The same thing happens outside the Moathouse, only those frogs are stupid and blow it by springing up when they are so far away that all they can do in the surprise round is run up on the party. The one at the Run is more fortunate, in that the party appears so close to him that he can actually get an attack in.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@gaear: I have found if you move the wizard or sorcerer away far enough from the little frog [up/above past the middle of the screen toward the top of the screen] and keep a fighter type to the left of the spellslinger [to keep from being bumrushed by the lizards], the frogs will tend to attack someone that is closer to them...normally, another spellcaster, ie., cleric or druid.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I don't know how the Mersenne thing works, but I do know if you reload at certain points you can get the same 'random' event happening over and over (eg I had a save that ALWAYS got the NPC comments at the Temple Doors and the Throne inside, which I would say DON'T happen more often than not). So having something 'always' happen may say more about the save than your game cheating, so to speak.

Edit: O yeah, had to post a fix. Here is the fixed Gnarley Forest map: it goes in modules/Co8.5.0.0/maps. Folks who've NOT commented on it, gimme some feedback :)

[EDIT by Cerulean the Blue] This is included in the Cumulative Fixes.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  7. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

one thing that might help in that situation, is to change the order of your characters before entering, example using pictures on bottom. a,b,c,d,e,f with f
    being wizard move order to say a,b,f,d,c and keep recombing until you get the wizard (type) show up away from frog location,ect. works for assassin also (except he kept going after m_u,which allowed fighters to kill easier, have not tried in 5.0 yet though)

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

The annoying thing about hiding creatures like the frogs, the bandits in the moathouse courtyard and other places around the game is the game doesn't seem to be making spot and listen checks to avoid surprise. I've yet to have a character, regardless of Spot score, be able to actually locate hidden creatures. Likewise for creatures versus hidden party members. I've yet to have a sneaking character get caught.

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Re: Punch list for 5.0.0 beta

@CtB: Has anyone looked in to why the new summoned critters sometimes stand around and do not attack anything; why sometimes they will only attack after they are hit in combat; why they will sometimes only attack what is positioned next to them where once what is next to them is dead they just stand around and do nothing; and why they sometimes will only engage and attack after following a party to the next area or room and the party attacks in the new area or room?

Note: Different people have mentioned the different parts of the above.

Moved here from the Punch List Thread, as it was more a bug report. -CtB

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  10. Cerulean the Blue

The Cumulative Fixes have been updated with:

- Shiningted's Witch Dialog Fix.

- Shiningted's Gnarley Forest Fix.

11. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

Re: Punch list for 5.0.0 beta

Well, I looked into it when I was working on them, but I could never pin it down - I've also noticed similar behaviour with summoned creatures that pre-existed in the game, mostly various druid animal companions - sometimes they just dont do anything :raving:

Sorry I cant offer any solution though.

- Oh, and I appear to be a Troll (berserker that is :grin: ).
    Charles

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  12. haywood

haywood Member

>Which begs the question: should frogs be able to differentiate between armored and >non-armored prey, internalize the meaning of these observations as affects their available >combat tactics, form an attack strategy based on this understanding, and subsequently put >this discriminatory approach into play with unfailing precision

That wasn't a real frog you encountered; what actually happened was that Gary Kasparov fell victim to a baleful polymorph.

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

How many times would a magic frog have to eat human or demi-human characters before figuring out the ones that look "shiny" taste wierd [ones wearing armor] and would decide to prefer to go for ones that are not shiny looking and, thus, don't taste wierd?

14. jackhayes11@msn.com

jackhayes11@msn.com Patrick O'Hea

An interesting bug... I have progressed to the Hederack showdown in two different games and cannot get Iuz/Cuthbert to spawn in??
    Any suggestions? I used a NG and a N party to take on the Greater Temple in both cases, six and seven PCs/NPCs, average 9th-12th level... I miss wailing on and getting wailed on by the "Gods" and would like the experience again if possible.

15. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

The first thing that comes to my mind is that your missing something in the script attachment that calls "Iuz and St. Cuthbert", you aren't quicksaving are you? The autosave on map change option being on is another thing that can cause you to miss the first heartbeat in a game. I'll take a look at the script and dialog and see if I can find any other possible culprits.

A question for you what is the intelligence of the PC talking to Hedrack, when he tries to summon Iuz or are you not even getting to that point?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
Our Host!