Further Respawning & a Feature Request

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, May 31, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hunter

Hunter Digging KOTB

No CTD, but I tested the latest 16 version and the AI is still a little wacky. Fighters, just keep shooting while encurring AoO after AoO. They should either switch to their falchions or take 5 steps.

2. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Allyx is having that same problem, while I am not, they switch to the falchions as soon as I get near them. I would not have posted this if it was. That is the beauty of feedback it makes you aware that there is a problem. So keep on feeding back:)

Makes it very difficult for me to troubleshoot. I am sure it is happening to you, but why is it not happening in my game? I don't think it is related to the AI at all since your ealrier report was before I even added an AI. Makes me want to pull my hair out cause if I could figure that out I could fix it. I will keep at it.:)

I have added a line to the script to have the npc's npc.wield_best_all, and have fixed Kentners dialog so he will not mention the orcs again if you have already encountered them.

You can download the fixes below. They replace the earlier ones. Install them into your ToEE root directory. You should also then open up your data\scr directory and delete all the files with the .pyc extension. These are the compiled script files and the new scripts will not compile if they are there. It may or may not actually help but it can't hurt anything.

I hope this fixes the combat problem, but it may not. I will keep looking at it in the meantime.

This is a general statement about CTD's, they are usually caused when the game engine calls a function, and whatever it is calling is not there. An example would be if it called for proto number 14747(half-orc assassin) and your protos.tab file did not contain that proto for whatever reason, the game would just crash. This can be caused by mods if something is left out or any number of things. Duplicate directories in you installation... yada yada yada ... so in general the way I try to fix them when they happen to me is, reinstall the latest cumlative fixes, then reinstall the game mod I am trying to use. To ensure all the files are where they are supposed to be.

Since I haven't been having the CTD, it is also very hard for me to isolate, but I would be happy to try given a bit more information.

Thank you all for your support

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  3. bigron

bigron Member

Rufnredde,
    Your right it would help if I used the latest fixes.:censored: I put them in and it works fine now. I'll try your latest fix and see if that stops the AOA when they keep using there bows.

4. rufnredde

Glad that worked for you bigron. I'm not sure if the Aoo's will stop, Allyx sent me some improved AI's I have yet to try and I may need to do a bit more tweaking. But eventually I will get it all worked out. Keep the feedback coming.

5. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

black dragon

Rufnredde,

I know you're busy with other stuff, but here's the black dragon dialogue (attached as a text file) as I have it now, for when you want it (if still). Let me know if it'll work, and what else you need from me (be it rewriting or . . . . well, more writing).

I wish I could mod on . . . well, any level beyond conceptual, but can only applaud those who do. The more I see about how much work goes into all the modding going on, the more impressed I am. :largeclap

Attached Files:

6. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

@Rufnredde- Haven't had a chance to fight your orcs yet, but I gave them a once over in the protos.tab. Will send a PM with my comments.

7. rufnredde

Thanks smg225 I'll take a look at it as soon as I can the Black Dragon modding is the next one in the repawn cue so this is right on time it may be a day or two till I give you any feedback on this but hopefully some of the others frequenting this thread will has some time to peruse it.

Well I consider writing dialog, modding personally. So don't despair, if you want to go the next step check out Ted's 4 part dialog tutorial tutorial at http://rpg-rant.blogspot.com/ its a great place to start.

One of the nice things about using dialog writing as a building block is that any condition or command you use in dialog, is the same as the ones that are used in the scripts and as console commands. So if you or anyone else wants to move beyond conceptual, its there for you!!! Rise to whatever level you are comfortable with. Thanks for the great effort it is appreciated.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Or, check this out for teds tutorial. Click here.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I started out here a year and a half ago, with no computer programing skills whatsoever, I snooped around the game files to get a feel for how they worked, and what sort of files do what sort of things for a while, Now I know how to edit almost every part of ToEE.

"I can't mod" is a saying that is increasingly being used here, but I tell you this...

It's not as hard as you think it is, just give it a try ;)

10. jackhayes11@msn.com

jackhayes11@msn.com Patrick O'Hea

Hmmm, still having a problem with Kenter dialogue to get to cave... Where best to find a link (not finding one) for the latest goblin cave fixes?? Thanks!

11. rufnredde

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=34103&postcount=97, I have just being updating the files on the post where I originally posted them. These two are the latest, you should get the dialog if ask Kentner about rumors, then choose the dialog option that asks if there are any rumors of adventure.

12. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Re: black dragon

I've read it twice, and it is a good effort. But, I believe that this isn't what most people are expecting in the way of a re-spawn for Imeryd's Run. I believe most folks who wanted a dragon thrown in there are expecting some blood & guts combat from an aggressive young dragon, not a shy whelp kicked out of the nest & looking for scraps. I hope this doesn't discourage you; it is plausible dialogue for another dragon scenario at some point...just not this point. I think you should try again, and give him some 'nards this time.

14. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

Re: black dragon

Ok, will do. Though I did intend him to whomp ass, just that he was leading off with the bluffing, devious kind of nads, to get the party/player off-balance (even Smaug wasn't above something like that . . . and yeah, that was different, I know, but still, inspiration) . . . but point taken. Give me a few days to come up with something new.

15. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

Black dragon dialogue, mark II. A little shorter--here, the dragon basically ambushes the h*ll out of the party, in keeping with this from the d20 site description: "Black dragons prefer to ambush their targets, using their surroundings as cover." So, he will.

Does this work better, Spike et al?

Attached Files:

Our Host!