Editing character files to change feats?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Karma, Nov 3, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Karma

Karma Member

I've chosen some metamagic feats for my Sorcerer, and I have since found out that she has no way to use them (I don't suppose that's anything easily-editable enough to be fixed in a future mod?)

I'd rather like to exchange those feats for more useful ones. I presume that information is somewhere in the character file in modules\TOEE\players, and I've read a tutorial on hex-editing those files, but I have no idea which values to look for or what to change them to. By any chance, has anyone nailed down where the feats are recorded and how to change them?

I hope this is the right place for this request - if not, apologies in advance.

2. tkurgan

tkurgan Member

Ferros from the atari boards made a character editor that changes feats. I have never used it, but people seem happy with it. You can get it here.

http://members.chello.nl/~m.vaneersel/TCE.exe

actually come to think of it, it will do you no good because you want to change savegames not the character file. You need to be pretty comfortable with hex editing to change the feats in the save game and you need to get the feat.mes files to locate your feats.

Remember to make a copy of your savegame before hexing it in case you mess it up.

1)get feat.mes from extracting toee3.dat -- one of the tools in the sticky can do this.

2) look up your feats and convert the values to reverse hex order. Look of the feats you want to change and do the same. Write them all down.

3) open up your save game file, go to the end of the file and search for your name going upwards.

4) do a search for the first feat you want to change in reverse hex order and make the search go up.

5) change the feat to one you want in reverse hex order

6) the other feats should be right around the first feat you want to change so look for them and overwrite them with feats you want.

That should do it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2003
Our Host!