Crafting Items?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ricerking13, Jun 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. ricerking13

ricerking13 Member

Okay... so I've decided that my sorceress should start crafting magical arms/armor. She's got a high strength, and has always appeared as the "blacksmithing type" anyway :D

So I took the feat, note she is only level 6 (I would expect this to limit her in RL 3.5). Well I can purchase any arms, shield, armor I want that is masterwork (from the blacksmith in Homlett) but I can't change them. I click on the feat, and the interface looks fine.... but I have no costs listed, and it will not allow me to move any of the upgrades over. Am I just missing the boat on what to do... or is this a glitch. I found other people had some problems in the past with this... so I'm curious what I need to do to modify weapons/armor. I'd prefer not to console ANYTHING if I can help it, thanks.

2. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

I have no clue then. As long as you meet the requirements for the upgrades, you should be able to apply them. If you don't have the money for the upgrade or XP, you won't be able to highlight the upgrade.

3. ricerking13

ricerking13 Member

Well I thought maybe you needed gems, jewels, or something to make it work but no. I tried again an hour later... and now it offers the ability to have me change it to +1/+2/+3, and that would work fine... so basically my problem is solved, right? WRONG...

I can't do the other options... just the +1/+2/+3 nothing else... I'm confused... oh well.

Oh PS: Falrinth the wizard... was not hard at all on 2.0... on 4.01 he is incredibly difficult!!!! :imwithstu

4. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

That's no bug. You did it with a sorceress, whom has so few variety of spells that it's unlikely you will ever meet the requirements unless you specfically choose those spells on levelup. Truly if you want to craft do it on people with a large variety of spells in their spellbook, like Wizard, Druid, Cleric, else you have be willing to get the specific spells you need for those craftable items. No items needed just the spells, gold and xp (and if weapons, shield or armor then the Masterwork/Magic version, if other items nothing at all but gold/xp/spells to craft).

5. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

Moralgay- I think he's talking about the enhancements, and not the crafting. I had written up a paragraph about the virtues of wizards/divine casters over sorcerers due to their wealth of spell knowledge in item creation, but then I read his post over and he wasn't asking that. :p

It sounds to me like he tried to enhance his weapons *right* when he hit 6th level, and thusly didn't have the required XP to spare - or possibly the GP needed.

6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

You do need the proper spells in order to enhance weapons with attributes other than just the basic +1/+2/+3.

7. ricerking13

ricerking13 Member

This is likely my problem...

I apologize for using "craft" when I meant "enhance" you all have the idea now. :thumbsup:

So certain spells are required to enhance weapons/armor then. I was unaware (something I haven't done much of in paper/pen D&D).

Anybody know the spells needed for the "keen" enhancement? This sounds odd to me.... but I'll take your words for it.

8. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

For Keen you need the third level wizard spell Keen Edge. And it's not odd at all. You are essentially putting a permanent version of the spell onto the weapon. You can't do that if you don't know the spell.

For further crafting questions, refer to this handy crafting guide at GameFAQs written by Co8's own Lord Plothos. GameFAQs does not allow direct linking, so you will have to copy and paste the link into your browser.

db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/temple_of_elemental_evil_crafting.txt

9. ricerking13

ricerking13 Member

I understand where you are coming from.

Thanks for the help, exactly what I needed!

10. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

Yep. Also my apologies if I caused insult.
    Word of warning tho, if you're using Keen weapons then don't worry about the Improved Critical feat, they don't stack I believe.

11. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Note also that, contrary to the by-the-book D&D rules, certain minimum caster levels are required to craft, say, Flaming weapons. Basically, the programmers interpreted the listed caster levels for the items as a prerequisite (which, it has been repeatedly clarified, was not the intention of the designers), possibly because of a misleading passage in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@ricerking13: fyi - Cold and holy weapon damage works wonders in the deepest regions of the ToEE game.

13. ricerking13

ricerking13 Member

Thanks everyone for your help! It's all making perfect sense now.

Thanks Krunch, I just got a frost Greatsword (frostbite?). So I'm pleased.

Our Host!