Shop map comments

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by jeffh, Jun 12, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

I really like the idea of the shop map, but I'm not crazy about the execution, in two respects.

Firstly, the money the party gets. I assume it's calculated by the book, which normally would make me happy, but in ToEE this is something of a problem, because (unless your Appraise is insanely high) all the prices are jacked way up, which means the party's purchasing power is much less than it should be according to the standard rules. Possible solutions would be increasing the amount of money given out at the beginning, or changing the shop inventories on that map to be similar to the interface for buying masterwork items from Brother Smyth (the first would be better, because it still leaves a somewhat limited selection, which I'm okay with). It would even be okay if the overall purchasing power given at this point were still a bit less than in the standard rules, because ToEE doesn't make you worry about things like ropes and lanterns. But right now it's a lot less.

Secondly, you can't duplicate the starting inventories in a standard game, because there are no healing potions in the shop map.

[I'd fix this myself if I knew how (and more importantly, was confident it wouldn't screw anything else up) - maybe someone could point me to the appropriate resources, as I'm sure they're somewhere on this board...]

On a related note, does anyone know EXACTLY how the price modification due to Appraise works in ToEE?

2. Blair

Blair Unwanted Construct

Easiest fix for this issue would be to simply console in the amount of money you rolled up with your dice (or the average, whatever...). Alternately, as I have done, you can modify start_equipment.mes with a simple text editor like Notepad. If you know the ID#s of the equipment objects your character template should come with, this is minorly time-consuming, but gets you exactly what you technically "should" have.

Yay! Video card finally arrived! Now to get it installed...

--Blair
    "Heironeous sucks! What do you have to say about that?!"

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The easiest way to duplicate the original starting equipment is to install your mod of choice without the shopmap, and delete the start_equipment.mes file then your equipment will be exactly the same as it was when the game was originally shipped, potions of cure light wounds, and plenty of scale armor to go around. :yawn:

Our Host!