The 5.0.0 beta 1 Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, May 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Re: Co8 5.0.0 beta 1 thread

The game has never, as far as I know, allowed a take 20 on Disable Device. (It does normally do a take 20 on Open Locks) By the PNP rules, you can't take 20 on a Disable Device check because there is a penalty for failure (the trap goes off.) Are you sure you aren't conflating Disable Device and Open Locks?

The random number generator is known to be quirky. I've had similiar bad luck with traps and have also watched three of my PCs critical hit back to back in a fight. It has a tendency to get "stuck" from time to time.

Bug of my own to report, I finally remembered to check on the Ghoul paralysis and it's definitely flagged as "Monster Melee Paralysis No Elf" in the protos.tab. I spawned a ghoul with the console and it did in fact paralyze the elven wizard I let it attack, so the "No Elf" indicator is definitely bugged and it's not a problem with any of the ghoul mobs.

2. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

That's possible. Prior to the last 48 hours, it had been months since I'd played ToEE. However, the previous time I encountered that trap during this week's play, I definitely got a 20 on my Disable Device twice. Maybe the random number generator was just "stuck" in the other direction, so that instead of a run of freakishly bad rolls I got a run of freakishly good ones?

But I'm still positive the DC changed on me, and none of this explains that.

3. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

For those who wanted to see Black Jay's wifes ring, moved out of Hommlet. Here is a mod to alter that quest. The goblin is gone from Hommlet, but where is the ring? This needs tested so Spike if you could fire up the legionaires I would appreciate it. Thanks to all that gave input.

You will probably have to start a new game for this to work properly, it won't work if you have killed the goblin already, or have been out of Hommlet, since this tends to happen pretty early.

Just extract the rar into the toee root directory, you should also clean out the .pyc files in the data\scr directory.

If you want more info about the mod, see this thread http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3397

That would probably be the best place for discussion about its content and bug testing info. Thanks

edit - I have added a second rar file below, if you want both the goblin gone fix and Virtual Spacemans cloak of Elvenkind, please use that file until they are included in the cumulative fixes. If you install one over the other, the game may CTD, or one of the fixes will not work.

-RnR

[EDIT by Cerulean the Blue] This is included in the Cumulative Fixes.(The elven cloak as well)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
  4. biobaba

biobaba Member

I am currently running 5.0.0 and with the most recent cumulative fix

I manged to get the quest from the great temple cleric
    now I am wondering is there a way to talk to Senshock without getting into a battle.
    I wasnt sure if it can be done at all or not but just curious to know.

Even though I could run around freely in the great temple now when I bump into Senshock still end up with a fight because I bothered him.

5. rufnredde

The not being able to talk to Senshock bug fix, should be in the 5.0.0 fixes CtB, fixed that and I was able to talk to him, when I tested it. There are still conditions that will make him KOS though, but they are not a bug. So yes if you make all the right moves you can talk to him now.

6. biobaba

biobaba Member

when I talked to Senshock I was using a 13 level deplomacy character
    only two options pop up.. all of em end to piss him off

I guess I'll have to do something else to get more conversation topics with him then.

7. rufnredde

But you did talk to him, the bug was you couldn't even have a dialog with him. His dialog works now. It is the dialog that came with the game :)

I seem to remember him being a bit of a grouch, now that you mention it

8. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

... don't know if its is something that I did... however I liberated ted, ed, ed.... located dalia in the 1st level and went to Verbobonc.... but it seems that ted,ed,ed were eaten by the white dragon and younglings on the way home because they never showed back up... but then again they had no clothes or weapons... maybe the pirates took them for sale into slavery....

... otherwise the new & improved white dragon battles are awesome.. something to write home to mom about... had to resort to hack & slash tactics to win..

9. dragonwarrioruk

dragonwarrioruk Member

Possible bug with Ronald.

I have a party of 5 characters, neutral start. The cleric is a lawful neutral of St Cuthbert, greeted Ronald with the 'Greetings, may St Cuthbert shield you.' option. (number 3 in the list). CTD

10. pippetta

pippetta Member

why my wizard can memorize a 1st level spell into a 2nd level slot? is it normal?

11. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Yes. Per the PNP rules, you can always prepare a lower-level spell in a higher level slot if you wish. In fact, it's the only option available for casters with low casting ability scores. Just like a Sorcerer can burn off a higher level slot to cast a lower level spell if necessary. (A fully rested Sorcerer with Read Magic is the way to go if you need to ID a bunch of scrolls and potions.) I know for spontaneous casters, at least, the ability to use higher level slots didn't work in earlier versions of the game, but was fixed with Co8 4.0, I think.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yes, that is completely normal. Feats can be used with respect to memorizing spells using a higher level spell slot than the level of the spell. It is not a bug.

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Finally made it thru 5.0 to level 4 and Verbobonc and it played real well. Used Ronald but he wasn't much help. Too many spiders. I hate spiders. I think the 5.0 final will be real good. Big improvement over 4.0. The modders did a good job on this one.

14. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

I've only just started up with 5.0, but I have to say that I find it really impressive so far. Really nice.

It was a bit tricky figuring out exactly how to install it. I had 4.0.1 installed, so I took these steps:

1. Launched ToEEFE and de-selected the 4.0 mod (so the original ToEE "\data" dir is restored)
    2. Installed the 5.0.0 beta mod
    3. Launched ToEEFE again and selected the 5.0 beta mod (so the "data" dir is now the 5.0 beta version)
    4. Unpacked the Co8 Portrait & Voice Packs into the game directory
    5. Deleted the directores "Viscount-1st-fl" and "Verbobonc-Archmage" under "modules/Co8-5.0.0/maps/" as recommended in Cumulative Fixes pack.
    6. Unpacked the Cumulative Fixes pack into the game directory

I mistakenly reversed the last two steps until I scanned through this thread and realized my mistake. It would be great to have a seperate (locked) post that gives beta install instructions, but on the other hand I can see why you might not want to do that.

Anyway, I'll try to be helpful if I find anything. I'm going through with a pretty conventional party, though at some point I'd like to create a character that uses exotic weapons (now a 5.0 favorite character builds thread is something I'd look forward to, but I don't if anyone else is excited by that kind of thing).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You may experience some trouble in Verbobonc if you didn't delete 2 folders before adding the cumulative fixes, there actually WAS a readme explaining which ones, I'll repost it here...

Just delete those 2 folders, add the cumulative fixes again (and reselect the play file in the portrait pack selecter) to fix your install.

Our Host!