Bird Mesh Question

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Nerik, May 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

At what point do the existing meshes become unacceptable for eagles, owls, etc.

Poll closed May 24, 2006.
  1. Unacceptable at any size

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Acceptable for small size (familiars, normal owls)

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Acceptable for medium size (giant owl, giant eagle)

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Acceptable for any size

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

Ok, one problem with trying to get birds into the game is the lack of a suitable mesh - the releasable familiars component uses the Vrock animation for most of the birds (scaled down). So, for Co8 5.0.0 at what size does the use of a Vrock/Harpy/Owlbear/Chicken etc. mesh become unacceptable for owls/eagles/rocs?

Charles

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The familiars have the advantage of thier diminutive size in thier favour, they're too small to actually see what models are being used and thus look quite effective. Unfortunately until the mesh format is broken down and a suitable import/export tool for the games meshes to a 3d rendering program (Maya, 3DS Max etc...) is written we're kinda stuck with what we have available, the other alternative we have is reskinning the existing models and using the alpha channel trick to edit out the Vrock and Harpy's arms and hope that the new skin is acceptable.

(by the way that collosal monsterous spider is a real PITA to kill! I was going to put one in my mod, when I tested it, it had over 250 hit points, and SR 25! Can you say TPK? :evil_laug Not when your dead! :nosebleed )

3. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

Well, it does need a 9th level spell to summon it, it should fit in well in the Demonweb hits however ;).

Charles

4. almondblight

almondblight Member

Perhaps this has already been tried, but this guy:

http://rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=130

was lead artist for TOEE...would there be any use in modders contacting him?

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I believe Ag is already in contact with him.

The problem lies in the format of the models, which Troika are not allowed to release due to their contract with Atari. Not much we can do, nor should we expect them to violate a legal agreement.

Hacking modders, on the other hand... :ninja:

Thanks for the link though, interesting read :)

6. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

Ok, sorry for the lack of anything from me, anyway, I've just done a quick test with alpha-ing out the arms on the harpy, and the result doesn't really look bird-like, same with the vrock, those of you with better atistic abilities may well be able to do better however. So for the moment, I recommend removing the various owl, eagle and roc entries from the summoning spells for the time being. If you want, I can produce a modified spells_radial_menu_options.mes file with the birds removed.

Charles

7. almondblight

almondblight Member

Out of curiousity, if Atari folds, would it help things at all?

Thanks for all the work you guys are putting into this...know that it's much appreciated!
    :thumbsup:

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I like the giant owl being an owlbear. It looks cool and makes cool noises.

The giant eagle doesn't look anything like an eagle. I don't recall the noises it makes, either - not something memorable.

When I saw the Roc, I thought "WoW! It's truly huge.", but it does not look like any kind of bird. I don't recall the noises it makes, either - not something memorable.

9. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

Both the giant eagle and the roc are currently using the in-game vrock mesh, but at different scalings - they are probably using the vrock's sound set as well, as I haven't yet figured out how to attach sound effects to a creature.

Charles

Our Host!