The 5.0.0 beta 1 Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, May 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Re: Co8 5.0.0 beta 1 thread

RE: The Moathouse re-spawn. Is there any way to clear all the stuff in it when it re-spawns? The final fight is a bit of a PITA because there's all the crap from Lareth's gaurds that I didn't feel like carrying back to Homlett lying around.

Also, was something supposed to happen by the secret exit? Because so far nothing happens when I take the back door out.

Unrelated, I summoned a Janni for the first time using SNA5 and its first action was to cast some sort of powerup spell (the roll windows wouldn't tell me what) on itself resulted in a "Failed. Invalid Creature Type" floater.

2. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

Bug with Extraplanar Chest Scroll Copying

Hey guys,

I've been playtesting with 5.0.0 beta and found a repeatable bug. While playing, I found 2 copies of the Extraplanar Chest spell scroll. After identification with Read Magic from my Cleric, I moved the scrolls to my Wizard's inventory for copying. As expected, the scrolls stacked to show 2 in the stack. When I used the COPY SCROLL command and successfully copied the spell into my 5th level Wizard spell book, BOTH of the scrolls vanished. Only one should have done so. I reloaded from the previous save and this is repeatable. The only way for this not to happen is when I separate the scrolls into two different character inventories.

Thought that you'd want to know. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any bugs so far.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

@Noran: That is an old bug, from the unmodded game. Hard coded I'm afraid. The work around is to never copy stacked scrolls. Unstack them first by giving the excess to another character.

@Kalshane: I found the problem with the chest. The fix was simple. It will be in the next update. Are you talking about something at the secret exit for the respawn, or earlier in the game? The stuff on the ground should decay after a while, but I don't know how long it takes. Also, some of the new summoned creatures are still very beta in their strategy and spells they cast. It's going to be a long battle with them. If you care to lend a hand, it would be appreciated.

4. Kalshane

Okay. Cool.

The respawn. When we were discussing the ambush at the exit, Krunch mentioned there was already something happening there after the respawn.

I can take a look, though the strategy.tab confuses the hell out of me. The rare instances I've gotten things to work it's been pure luck. Most of my attempts have resulted in the creature in question casting a single spell over and over again until they run out before moving on to do something else.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Re: spellcasters in strategy.tab;

As long as you remember, to change the target before choosing the spell you want it to cast it's fairly simple. EG...

Code:
    Target ranged [blank] [blank] cast fireball [blank] 'fireball' class_wizard 3
    obviously targets ranged attackers with a fireball
    Code:
    Target self [blank] [blank] cast single [blank] 'mirror image' class_wizard 2
    targets the caster with mirror image (most buff self spells require the target self line first).
    Code:
    Target self [blank] [blank] cast area [blank] 'fog cloud' class_wizard 3
    will cast fog cloud on the casters own area, whereas...
    Code:
    Target ranged [blank] [blank] cast area [blank] 'fog cloud' class_wizard 3
    will cast in on attacking archers (not so useful).

Best advice, copy other examples already known to work, and don't forget to switch tagets between buff spells and offensive ones.

6. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

Umm, it shouldn't be doing that! It only has two spells in its protos, Invisibility and Reduce Person, its Stratergy.tab entry is:

Code:
    Janni	target nospell			cast single		'Reduce Person' domain_special 1	target closest			attack			target ranged			attack
    Which I intended to mean 'throw a reduce person at a non spell-caster, then attack things' although thinking about it, I'm not sure the latter part would do anything other than engage the nearest target in melee. I wasn't sure if I wanted it to spend its first action casing invisibility on itself.

So it could have attempted to reduce person on a non-valid target - does anyone know how to do a stratergy.tab entry that is equivalent to 'target valid for spell cast spell "spell name"'?

I was fumbling in the dark with the statergy.tab entries for the spell-casing summons - the djinni tended to have this behavious:

round 1: cast invisibility
    round 2: attack something
    round 3: cast invisibility
    round 4: attack something
    repeat until it runs out of invisibility spells.

Anyway, I apologies for not doing much lately, I'm afraid I've been busy.

Charles

7. Allyx

Perhaps target high strength would make a better target choice (fighter types)?

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I don't think so...but if you recall some time ago some graphic effect weirdness I was experiencing...this looks a lot like that. Maybe some file or other is in the wrong place? Mine went away after a while, and I can't say why exactly. It was either that I hadn't properly installed temple.dll (or it was not the correct version) or it was a hardware driver issue.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Re: Tower sheild

I once made a party of Roman Legionaries (all human male), equiped them all with roman type gear - including tower sheilds and to my suprise some of the part held the sheilds properly and some held them so they cut into their bodies, figure that one out

10. Kalshane

Huh. It might have tried to cast Reduce Person on one of the Undead in the room, then. It just looked like a power-up animation, and with no identification of the spell being used, I couldn't tell what exactly was happening. In which case, you didn't do anything wrong, the AI is just doing its normal stupidity of casting spells on invalid targets. Sorry for the false alarm.

I've never experienced that problem.

I've given Darley the missing feat and skills I left off in my initial fix. I also made some changes to the gear for the Assassin. Overall value is still the same, but I swapped his 8000+ gp Dagger of Venom out for some other gear that will actually be useful for him (I have yet to see the AI ever trigger the venom effect and those daggers are everywhere.) Since he's a "random" encounter, hopefully it won't require any changes to mob to activate. He works as he should when spawned from the console.

Extract to the ToEE root directory.

[EDIT by Cerulean the Blue] This is included in the Cumulative Fixes.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
  11. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Is anyone else aware that when running Frontend (I am not certain if it works normally) that you can select any clothing apparel and cast magic vestement on it. (Craft it ) and select Silent Moves that now you have a garment +3. Also note that they are not stackable las is the case with magic rings of protection... (This is nice for Magic Users who do not wear armor).

I would not run it with a monk as it actually reduces his armor class by 2.

This can also be done with shields and in essence get a shield +5.

b.t.w. enhanced clothing sells for 2555gp.:pelvicthr

12. Allyx

That is an old bug, it's not exclusive to 5.0.0 installs either. I suggested a fix for it a while back, but it would require a .dll hack to implement (we currently don't have a modder who can hack it).

13. Kalshane

So I've been playing with the strategy.tab, trying to put an AI together for Darley and I'm coming to the conclusion that sorcerers are just plain hosed when it comes to the AI. The game insists on casting the same spell over and over again until the spell slots of that level are spent no matter what I put into the strategy.tab. I did find out some stuff about domain_special and other class spells, but I'll post that elsewhere.

In any case, during my testing, I discovered that Mind Fog and Unholy Blight both force Fortitude Saves. They should require Will Saves.

Also, Vampiric Touch does not work for NPCs. They cast it, and the PC cast on gets a duration counter over their picture, as well as a Hold Charge:0 and Temp HP: 0 in their floating status display.

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I removed a dead PC character from the party at the moathouse secret exit a long time ago. Upon returning later in the game, the cadaver of the dead PC character remains on the ground (pun intended).

15. Allyx

@Kalshane, that could be why there aren't any other NPC sorcerers in the game, the saving roll change should (provided that info isn't hardcoded) should be easy to fix. Vampiric touch can be targeted on anyone in touch range, is the NPC casting the spell on herself (I'm assuming your using Darley)?

@krunch, that's an old bug that has always been in the game. I once dismissed a PC in Jaroo's hut, then later reincarnated him. he stood there forever more, and greeted me when I spoke to him.

Our Host!