Further Respawning & a Feature Request

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, May 31, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Since there is a few occurences of Desecrate in the moathouse respawn, I can comfortably say it does make it harder to turn undead in the area.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

If the ring will be placed in one of the moathouse frogs and seeing how no one knows how long the ring has been in the frog - maybe it has been a long, long time, (just for a nice touch) it would make sense to add a rusty dagger and a rusty shortsword, ragged clothes [item 6123], and maybe a few copper pieces, too.

3. Blair

Blair Unwanted Construct

Re Jay's ring, I prefer Gaear's plan (the well stash)--remember, optimally your medium-size party should be able to do enough no-fight quests in Hommlet even with the XP reduction to hit about level 2.5; but hey, the moathouse frogs are OK too. Flip a coin.

Oh, and I finally found out why my video card hadn't shipped yet...

*drumroll*

I moved a few months ago and my bank hadn't gotten around to changing my address in their card files... so Newegg's security verification came up blank and my order was sent to Limbo. :imwithstu

Argh! but hey, straightened out now, so maybe by the middle of next week I can go back to breaking things around here.

--Blair
    "Nein! Nein, nicht der bratwurst!"

4. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Okay, I see alot of opinions but no decision on what actually needs to be done here. It is strange to me how everyone seems to know what they want here, but no one wants to commit. Leave it up to the modder so we can thrash him soundly for helping out later. I can't mod is a piss poor excuse, when someone has offered to implement whatever is specified.

Since the only thing that seems assured is that people would like to see the goblin replaced.

I will implement something and post it, if it is not well recieved it can always be changed later.

A short side note I had always associated that well with the potter and not the moneylender as he has a locked trapped chest.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well, since the only real objection to ring-ingesting Moathouse frogs was from Blair, and since he just signed off on that above, I see no reason not to impliment the Moathouse frog solution. If you've already got something else going, that's fine too. The longer you hang around, Ruf, the more you'll find that the onus always falls on the modder.

Modder with no consultation still equals mod.

Consultants with no modders equals nothing.

:shrug:

As for decisive decisions, how about this: I order you to begin work on the expanded respawn project! Now! ;)

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Everyone offers opinions because that is the way it's been done here forever. No one has complete control. This is not the best way to get things done, but it's what we have. Sort of like modding by consensus. I for one am glad that people ask for input, because I can't mod. Call it what you will, but if opinions are asked for I give them. Many times, I give them without people asking because I believe I have a good grasp of how things ought to be in the World of Greyhawk. I'm not always right, but I do try to respect people as long as they respect me. People can follow my advice or not as they choose. If things go too far awry, I'll simply find something else to do with my time. Modders have the power to make this thing Super Mario Brothers if they want; I'll be doing something else. As far as making changes goes, just make sure you stick to that ethic of adjustment; don't fall in love with your work to the point of being unable to change it. If it's not what people think it should be, they'll tell you. Especially if you ask for feedback. I have neither the time nor the inclination nor the ability to mod; I am simply here to offer input for what it's worth. If 20+ years of DMing a Greyhawk campaign is worth anything, that's what I'm offering. So...there you have it. :rant:

BTW, it is the Potter's well.

7. Macer Deathstriker

Macer Deathstriker Member

All I can add is "Ideas" for this project seeing I can't Mod so I can't help do anything other then give ideas. This isn't an excuse it is a fact. I would Mod if I could, but I have to sit by and wait for something to come about and do nothing but think about it. Though seeing I have little I can do to aid the process along I will not be trashing the Moder for what ever they put into place even if it wasn't what I thought would be fitting. This would only upset a modder and delay the process even further. I will though let ya know if something that was added doesn't work, but i don't see that as trashing.

Though I do find it a bit disrespectful to attack Non-Moders for lacking in the skill to help mod by saying they are using that as an excuse. Now if you meant it otherwise then you have my apology.

Macer

8. Lord_Spike

Let's all have a good cry for the poor abused modders. My heart bleeds for them.

Modder with no consultation still equals mod...however screwed up it may be.

Consultants with no modders equals nothing...except fond memories of dungeons unfouled by those lacking understanding.

I seem to recall many folks here wanting to keep this thing as close as possible to what the initial dungeon was supposed to be in the first place. Mods are great; they've made this a game to be enjoyed rather than cursed. But there is a creeping sense of holier than thou gaining hold here. Go ahead and mod in a bunch of crap that makes no sense, and see how long people enjoy playing it then. This place will be run by the munchkins who all want to be able to kill gods. Shrug all you want, and mark my words...mediocrity and a lowering of standards will be the death of this. Start by silencing the people with ideas, regardless of their ability to mod.

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Co8 has so far managed to avoid major screwups (*cough*ranjers skeletons*cough*) because modders and the community have worked together. It's a respect thing. It must get a little annoying for modders who take these things on in their spare time to be told "but that's not right" but it's great that our modders are willing to take onboard honest criticism because I think our modders know that everyone has the same goal - to make this game the game which it could have been.

Same for those who play test, offer advice and offer a lot of knowledge about the game world. Their feedback helps prevent some catastrophes and even helps the modders fill in their mods with backstory and appropriate material. But I'm sure they are aware that sometimes not everything can be done as they would wish.

That's the thing I treasure about this community. Hell, we cuss and fight like dogs over a bone but we want the same thing. And I don't think anyone is going to take a little flak from time to time to heart. They shouldn't if they do, because we're all kind of bound by the same interest and we really do want to make this game rock even more than it does.

And that's kind of my way of saying, time out gentlemen please. Let's not turn little things into big things.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this thread at some point in the future. I hope modders and consultants can complement each other as they always have in the past.

And for my next speech, I will be calling for world peace and the brotherhood of man ;)

10. darkfeld01

darkfeld01 Ancient Lurker

just a thought the ring could end up in the jewleres shop, i mean if i found a ring and i wanted to make a little cash off it is would take it a to a jewler, the only proplem with that is wouldn't the jewler be curious about why it has "From Jay" or something like that etched on it.

11. Lord_Spike

You're right, of course. I doubt anyone in Nulb knows about Jay, though. It could logically be added to someone's inventory there. Just not someone like Screng or Otis.

Rufnredde is working on this, though; his approach makes sense, too. Let's wait 'til he's got it ready & then give some feedback. I think most or all here will approve. It's way better than plain old goblins & frogs.

12. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

Little late joining the discussion, but Ted's Goblins from the Desperate housewives coulda been a nice place. But I liked the frog idea, someone in Nulb might be too far into the game, all the ideas definitely would work. The original goblin was weak. Heck I'd even take a team of goblins that if nothing else worked...although that would probably make less sense than any of the others.

13. rufnredde

I have completed a mod to remove the Goblin from Hommlet. It is posted on the 5.0.0 thread. Any feedback and bug testing info should be posted here though. It was just a convienient place to put the files. http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=33408&postcount=424

I do appreciate all the feedback and input from this thread. I apologize if any of you thought otherwise. Semantics can be a terrible thing.

I will try a quick analogy to try and illustrate what I was trying to say, then be done with it forever.

Think of ToEE the game as the house that you live in. You are an Architect. You decide that you want to make renovations to the house. You call the builder and say I would like you to do some renovations. He comes looks at your house and adds an updated kitchen, because in his opinion that is what it needed. You of course fly into a flaming rage because you loved your kitchen the way it was. You call him up and say how could you have messed with my kitchen you fool, I asked for renovations. He replys that was renovations, if you don't like them build it yourself. You immediately reply but I'm not a builder I'm an Architect.

That would never happen because you being an Architect, knowing what you want would put it on paper. Give the plans to the builder and he would build what you wanted, to your specifications. I was offering to build things to spec, thats all.

Thanks in advance for all the feedback on bugs and helping this thing take shape.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  14. Macer Deathstriker

Macer Deathstriker Member

I may have reacted a bit premature, but after I read your other post it did sound like you were attacking the Non-modders, for not being able to mod. After I wrote that post, I kinda had second thought about posting it. So I added the apology in advance in-case I was reading the other post outta context. After a few days away I have reread it, and I feel that I most likely should not had added any comment, seeing I been reading a little while but only just started posting, and it looks as if I was trying to flame.

Though I will re-add that you will not find me attack any modification you guys do, because I cannot do it myself so like any other game, I will enjoy what you have given me to play with, but I reserve the right to add comment on what may work better, but i do not expect it to be done that way.

Macer

15. rufnredde

Ok so the goblin is gone from Hommlet, although it may have to be reworked a bit after testing. I am calling it done.

What do you all want to see next in the way of respawning?

Our Host!