crash help

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by unholy, May 16, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. unholy

unholy Member

Everytime i try to enter Nulb the game crash. This bug came right after i completed the "fishing" quest north of Nulb.
    I don t have this problem with any other locations in the game....
    Any idea?

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

How is your game patched?

And just to reassure you, sometimes odd things can happen in Nulb. But if it is persistent there is probably something wrong with your installation or a mod you might be using.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

[Note: the install = Atari ToEE + Atari Patch1 and Patch2 + Co8 4.0.0 MOD]

It should not crash like that. The problem was probably induced to your game save. When something breaks like what you are experiencing, you cannot play that part of the game with that particular save file when you go back to the particular part of a game.

Try loading a previous save game, prior to talking with Grud. Go back and re-do the Grud Fish Story quest, kill those monsters, again, and go back to grud and offer the fish head to him. Don't save the game, yet. Immediately, travel to Hommlet and, likewise, travel back to Nulb. If you can do that without a CTD, save the game only after you successfully get back to Nulb. Then, delete the bad game save. If you are unsuccessful at being able to re-do the Nulb and Grud ordeal and travel to Hommlet and Nulb from using a previous game save, the game and patches should be reinstalled.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  4. unholy

unholy Member

My game only has the patch 3...that s the only patch I installed ( I bought the game 3 days ago...:shy: )

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

My suggestion is this.

Reinstall Atari Patch2. Delete your game saves. Reboot. Play ToEE in Hommlet and do some quests, kill the monsters in the Deklo grove and the Moathouse. See what the game is like. When done, delete any game saves. Reboot. Install the Co8 4.0.0 MOD, not any newer updates. Reboot. You will see a much more difficult game and enjoy it a lot more. Play through an entire game with the Co8 4.0.0 MOD installed. Maybe play two or more complete games trying different things.

Then after, and only after the latest version of Co8 5 MOD has been play-tested and released for its final version, delete all the previous game saves and install the final release version of Co8 5 MOD.

Have fun and enjoy!..

6. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

My suggestion would be to totally uninstall the game. Go through and delete all the files in the Atari folder.

Reinstall according to the stickied instructions found on this forum. Patch 3 can cause much wierdness.

7. unholy

unholy Member

Thanks a lot for all your fast answers :)

So in your opinion there isnt any way to repair it without deleting my saves?

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

No, the corruption will be in the data of your game saves.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

No, the Co8 patche 4.0.0 and the beta of 5.0.0 both add new maps to the game, because of this, the map cache is larger for games with Co8 patches than the ones without Co8 patches. As a direct result of this old games (pre-Co8) simply won't load in a Co8 patched game.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

What Allyx said, yah.

However, since you are new to playing ToEE, I suggested you just reinstall Atari Patch2, first, and play ToEE without Co8 patches - run around in Hommlet to talk with people, hit the Deklo Grove and the Moathouse. This would be for you to get a better perspective on playing the game before loading Co8 4 MOD and Co8 5 MOD.

11. Enneigard

Enneigard Ogre Chieftain

well, it might not be the patch. have you done anything climactic in nulb that would affect anything? (kill rensch & his gang, enter the snake pit, ect.) that mightve caused it. type in "game.fade_and_teleport(0,0,0,4059,483,488)" to enter the snake pit, then simply exit from there. if the game crashes, it must be the patch, not the instant scene transition. :ninja:

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Trust us...it's probably having just patch 3 & no others. Patch 3 was only purported to fix the looting bug; so he doesn't have any of the fixes provided from the earlier patches (1 & 2 for those of you who are keeping track), if I read his post rightly. It's somewhat confusing, but 2 contains 1, so only 2 & 3 should be required - HOWEVER - many veterans of this & the Atari forum have experienced better success when the patches are installed 1, then 2, then 3. This is ok, but patch 3 didn't fix anything more than the Co8 fixes did to solve the looting problem, so it became Co8 policy to not recommend installing Atari 3. But since that's the direction unholy's gone...I think the Kap'ns idea works best in this circumstance.

unholy....If I were you, I'd hang on & keep playing Atari style until Co8 5.0 is out of Beta, then finish (or nuke) the old games & then start over. You're likely to see a world of difference.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  13. unholy

unholy Member

Thanks a lot for all the advices! :)
    I decided to delete the game, reinstall and put the patch 1 and 2 first.
    I finished the game yesteday without any problem.

I just have a question ....is it me or this game is fucking SHORT???? hell i tought it would be like Baldur s gate 2 or pool of radiance SoH...
    The only real chalenge in the game was balor ...i m disapointed.

I think i ll try with your patch now.

14. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

For security's sake, install Patch 1 before Patch 2.

-EE

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I believe that is what he meant - as in, he applied patch 1 and 2 before playing the game.

Our Host!