Co8 5.0.0 Beta - The Big 3; A poll

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kalshane, May 11, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

I think the encounter should be handled like this...

Poll closed May 24, 2006.
  1. They show up with moathouse brigands

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. They show up with moathouse brigands only after Lareth is dead

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. They show up with temple tower troops

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They show up with temple tower troops only after Lareth is dead

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  5. They show up with Nulb pirates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. They show up with Nulb pirates only after Lareth is dead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. They show up on thier own

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. They show up on their own only after Lareth is dead

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  9. What the hell is this poll all about?

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Re: Co8 5.0.0 beta 1 thread

Although I put a fair amount of effort into manipulating the voice recordings, the coding of this encounter was all Blue's. I just set forth some guidelines to work from. But by all means, pull this thing and throw it in the trash if it's going to cause this type of division among us.

Time for a smoke break and a reality check, people. We're a small group here, so politics and interpersonal squabbles have never really been a factor before, nor do they need to be now. There's a reason we all come here and why we all play and mod this game, and that's because we like the game and we enjoy the community. Being a part of Co8 somehow makes our 9-5 lives a little better. Are we going to throw that in the toilet because we can't agree on who should be a part of the Moathouse ambush? Let's stop taking this stuff so personally and remove any respective chips from our shoulders, myself included. For my part, I'm willing to go whichever route best serves the game and the community with this mod, because the real important thing is not that I get my friggin' ambush into the game, but that the community thrives and ToEE goes on.

If it doesn't, we'll all be stuck playing Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, and no one wants that. :no:

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

*begs*pleads* If the pirates attacking the temple/moathouse guys in the current ambush as a factions issue has been fixed in reference to what I reported earlier, can the ambush with factions issues fixed be offered as a checkmark box install option in Co8 5 MOD final release, please?

Rangers Rule!.. :notworthy

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I liked the original ambush, myself. However, we currently have option # 1. Is there truly anything wrong with # 1 option?

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I voted for moathouse brigands after Lareth is dead, but a 'choose your own adventure' approach to modding strikes me as a bit bizarre. I shudder to think what DH would have looked like if we discussed every bit - but then it was never meant to fit the plot all that exactly ;) Frankly I trust the judgment of the modders.

I thought the idea was basically the local evil adventurers, spurned by a good (or just uninterested) party, got together to rip them off after they had done the hard yards in the Moathouse and were in a weakened state (as per the module). Furnok's presence in that scenario would have made sense to me (not wanting to start an alignment war).

If we really are going to argue this to the nth degree, why would the Hextorite Turuko be working for the ToEE?

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You've got it right, Ted. Zert, the agent of evil, has talked some down on their luck adventurers (Kobort & Toruko) into a bit of robbery. This makes sense only if the party is in a weakened condition from adventuring in the moathouse; and it'd make sense to have them using bandits from the moathouse that were away on other business when the party was working on clearing it out. They most likely wouldn't wait until the PC's killed Lareth at all, but would strike as soon as they saw the party was weakened from combat. I suggested that the ambush be set to occur once the Bandit leader was killed rather than Lareth, before the party reached 3rd level. It could actually happen if the PC's have X number of unconscious members or have lost >50% of their HP, but then,I realize this is a complicated matter. And, as has been pointed out elsewhere recently, I'm no modder.

6. Libri

Libri Member

Wow, what an eventful Mother's Day. What's ironic for me is that I haven't even gotten to the ambush once. I still have the DH spawning problem. I've done two scorched earth reinstalls and still have it. Since no one else seems to be experiencing it, I'm going to have to assume it is the antiquated state of my computer causing the problem and will move on.

CB et al. Please don't fight guys. As you can see from my post count, I'm not a regular contributor on this board, but I check this board probably every day, and have done so for probably 2 years. I love this game, and appreciate the fact that you guys create new content to make my semiannual venture into Grayhawk fresh and new. I'm in total awe of all that you modders do, and hope that any comment of mine has not seemed derogatory towards your efforts.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

A Rogue is always up for making fast cash. Especially, if it involves ripping people off. It's what thieves do best, live for and drool over.

Otherwise, I liked the original Three Amigos Bushwhack. I would prefer it not have been quite such a hard fight, but it would be okay as it originally was and I could live with it after the initial shock of how hard it was wore off. It should not be watered down so much, either. As it currently stands, I'd rather it be a fight where the Pirates are based on the Ranger class--if for no other reason it would be a better fight--better tends to be more enjoyable and who wants a cakewalk shootout?
    Note: That's the biggest reason I liked Kalshane bumping up the monsters in the protos. It makes the fights more enjoyable. Rules compliance is a good thing as long as it does not take away from playing the game, does not make the game lame or boring.

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

No argument here. Making it better is what the aim of everyone is, I hope.

No one does. It means balancing the encounter for whatever level the party is at the time it takes place. If you've followed all that I've written about this, the pc's will be going up against 3 or 4 NPC's with some 6-10 levels total; and includes a number of bandit henchmen numbering an additional 2- 4 levels. This is versus maybe 6 Pc's on average with about 2 levels each. A balanced fight. Factor in the PC's being weakened somewhat, and roguish flanking, it should make for a tough fight.

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Why would Turiko and Koburt work for the ToEE, meaning Rannos/Gremag or, possibly, Wat/Rentsch, or work for Lolth, meaning Lareth? --> The love of money - the right amount of money offer changes minds and attitudes.

I kind of like the idea. It sounds like it could be cool. However, shouldn't the site of the armed robbery be upstairs when the party is leaving the 1st floor of the moathouse and is going outside to the courtyard?

*grin* I could see this kind of dialogue.

If the reply is clicked for "Yes, please, take our money and go.", a very simple script removes all coins from their inventory and the thieves fade and vanish.

If the reply is clicked for "*laugh* I don't think so. You are pathetic. Die you vermin scum!", a fight begins.

It is an interesting scenario, indeed.

10. Virtual SpACEman

Virtual SpACEman Established Member

i vote temple troops.....after dead.

however if lareth is in party??

when they go to exit the area at back... i propose there be a guard put next to the exit who runs outside on spoting the party, to warn wiether lareth is with the party or not.

so then the encounter can run or....there is no waiting party outside having been warned, instead they show up later???

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@the Modders: uhm - Can we have both be added to Co8 5 MOD release, pweeaaze? yah-yah-yah! :)

-> the Moathouse Exit Bushwhack and the Armed Robbery

Of course, the three amigos would have to particpate in the Armed Robbery and likewise be removed from the Moathouse Exit Bushwhack. This would allow Blue, Ted, & Allyx to set what the modders as a group want in place at the exit for their ambush. And, Spike and Gaear would get their idea added for an armed robbery to take place earlier in the game, upstairs.

Or, am I off the mark here in suggesting, let alone, asking this?

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Errr, Krunch, have you forgotten I have already done something for that entrance in the respawn?

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@ShiningTed: Yah, you did use it already. I got caught up in the excitment of the moment. I'll PM you with an idea.

14. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

I sense a disturbance in the force. :blink:

This seems to have degenerated into an 0rion-style soap opera (including a squabble about rangers!). It would be a shame to have all the work CtB and Gaear put into this encounter go to waste, so why don't we just wait for the poll results? Let's see what the community has to say.

Make love, not war. (Wouldn't that be a nice codename for the next beta?) :heart:

15. Drew

Drew Kind of a prick

I think a state check for Lareth being dead is somewhat pushing it. They certainly wouldn't have shadowed you as you made your way through the Moathouse, so they are probably just waiting there for you to leave.......assuming that you will be somewhat weakened from either clearing the place out or running away from whatever is in there. They'd have no way of knowing whether or not Lareth was dead and, frankly, I doubt they'd care. I say the attack should happen upon using that exit at all.

Regarding Rangers......I've always gotten the impression that a substantial number of brigands would be Rangers, anyway. Tracking your quarry is rather useful, after all, and brigands tend to live in the woods. It's hardly a gigantic leap of logic to imagine that the brigands/pirates/whatever that the 3 amigos managed to gather together would be Rangers. The encounter, while hard, isn't exactly "broken". If we want to see brigands, fine, but they don't necessarily need to be rogues, I'd say. Rangers make sense, too.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
Our Host!