Choice to kill Iuz: random event or patch?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Barnar, May 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Barnar

Barnar Member

In the battle with Hedrack, when he summons Iuz and St. Cuthbert appears, I was given the choice of continuing to fight Iuz's avatar. However, the game kept crashing, so I re-installed the game, the Atari patch 2, and the Co8 4.0.0 patch.

When I've relaunched the saved game prior to that battle and played it out since then, I haven't had the choice to keep fighting Iuz after Cuthbert appears. Is that a random event, or was that feature part of a mod that I had installed previously & didn't reinstall? If so, how can I restore that feature? I really want to beat Iuz, and there's just not enough time to bring him down before Cuthbert takes him away as is...

P.S. I think the crashing I was having was due to a Norton conflict, as per another thread I saw here - thanks!

2. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

After St. Cutbert appears you should no longer have a choice.

There is a dialog between Iuz and St. Cuthbert and then the battle is continued.

Both game Gods go home,that is the way the game shipped. I don't think that has been modified but someone will correct me if I am wrong.

They do level the playing field for both sides before they leave, someone else can spoil it for you if they want.

If you want to kill Iuz you must do it before ST. Cuthbert appears IIrc that is 4 rounds. Not an easy task.

If they didn't have the dialog hopefully you have a save from before the battle started. It is not a good idea to save during combat if you can avoid it, it seems to alter the way things work (execution order) and saves comeback buggy.

At least that is my experience

3. Blair

Blair Unwanted Construct

Cuthbert appears to chastise Iuz for intervening in the affairs of mortals and talks him into leaving the lot of you to settle things (notice the restoration of things to how they had been before Iuz showed up? well, almost restored...). The three-round time limit on whacking Iuz is the original game programming, and no one here has messed with it.

If you HAVE to have "Iuz" topping your Ego screen, you can do so most easily by having two high-hit point CG characters equipped with Fragarach and Scather respectively wait in the area Iuz appears, then whale on him as much as possible right away. Hasting those characters helps too. The spell "Dismissal" also can banish him, effectively an instakill, but you have to penetrate his SR (not easy) and then he has to fail a save against it (only on a natural 1, unless your characters have cheatingly high ability scores).

Good luck...

--Blair
    "And that is why evil will always win. Because Good is dumb."

4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I my games, if one of the giant's is under the effects of Suggestion when Cuthbert appears Cuthbert will not start the dialog until Iuz is dead. If Iuz is dead Cuthbert himself will not disappear, allowing you to take a shot at him too.

Mind you, both Iuz and Cuthbert are going to be much harder to kill in 5.0.0.

5. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

it is not always the case that the fight with iuz is over when st cussalot appears.
    i recently had it happen,i killed iuz just after st cuthbert appeared. the problem then is that st cuthbert then stands around with his thumb stuck. and will not resurrect your characters,or anything else.
    oh if you try attacking him exspect a even harder fight.(st cuthbert) i lost my thief to hedrack,none to iuz,but when i tried to fight st cuthbert i lost both my fighters,all but once. and more a few times. screen0000test.jpg did give survivors a level though to 11 i believe. oh well reload.

6. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

I consider it a major bug that cuthbert and iuz can be even remotely damaged by a level 11 party.

7. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I would like to ask what treasure you get from killing St. Cuthbert. I know Iuz gives you none (except the experience, which could count as treasure) but do you get anything? Armour, mace or other. Please let me know. I am curious to know whether in this run through it would be worth it (as an evil party).

8. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

i dont remember getting any treasure,sorry. damaging them basically scather and frag are the only weapons that damage st cuthbert, meanwhile he damages for around 20pts damage each hit,with 4-5 attacks per round,on my best armoured character.

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

IIRC Cuthbert sometimes drops a basic robe. Could well be wrong and it is an equally useless item instead but the fundamental answer to your question is that there isn't any phat lewt - it's just something to do until the modders make him too tough to kill any more.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey Zeb, r u and Arkane brothers? The resemblance is uncanny :)

A 'by the rulebook' Zuggy was attempted, I believe for memory she destroyed a 20th lvl party. Sorta defeats the porpoise... but then she is meant to be beaten, Iuz and Cuthbert aren't.

Arkane, I see u lost Fruella... such a tragedy :drunk::dance: :beer: :evil_laug

11. Zebedee

He spams less than me. He's my shy, sensitive and loveable alter ego. :dance:

12. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

i dont know about loveable

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I recall UberZuggtmoy had 43 HD and over 550 HPs and it summoned 40-something creatures. It killed nearly 100 levels in five characters of my 8 member party. All of the characters were level 19 and 20, PCs and NPCs. Three chars survived the fight. Elmo [nearly dead and] was healed to full, twice, during combat. One other char [nearly dead] was healed to full, once, during combat. Everyone was healed with spells at some point during combat and, still, only three barely survived the fight. If not for multiple uses of the Heal spell, the entire party would have died in that fight.

14. Zebedee

Hmmm... but with mod-add ons which will allow greater xp gain... at some point rules compliant might well be the way to go because then you can cut to end slides (adding more as appropriate/possible to cover the mods) having completed fighting a worthy end of game adversary....

Just a random thought from a disturbed mind. I'll get a medicine.

15. Enneigard

Enneigard Ogre Chieftain

isnt there a time where moradin comes to the fight?(i know, irrelevant) but for some reason i was able to find Moradin's Hammer (Axiomatic, Holy, +1). does anyone know what its about?

Our Host!