JaDE Technology Preview

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Joviex, Oct 14, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Joviex

Joviex Member

JaDE Partial Release UPDATED

http://www.onarom.com/Jade/

The old Jade is still there, in case you are into making maps, listening to sounds, hand editing text files, etc...

This new one will hopefully be a full editing environment sooner or later.

As always, send me any help, suggestions and bugs.

Updated it as of 10/17/2003 2:39am EST (GMT -5)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2003
  2. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Thanks for the new editor. Really gives a good, organized view of the various fields instead of that jumbled mess called protos.tab

After a swift browse through I think Column 79 for Armors should be Max Dex Bonus.
    Breastplate is 5/3, Chainshirt is 4/4, Leather is 2/6 and Full Plate
    is 8/1, the latter number (after slash) being Max Dex Bonus for the armor and the first number being bonus to AC.
    Interestingly Bracers or Armor +5 (which allows unlimited Dex Bonus) turns out to be 5/100. There's no way you could even get near a 100 Dex bonus so I suppose it is technically 'unlimited'.

There is a numeric column for thrown/range weapons which I think represents "range increment", which is the distance a ranged attacker can shoot without a penalty of -2.
    It would be nice if someone could confirm this.

Thanks again and keep up the excellent work.

EDIT: Checked the 3.5e SRD and confirmed figures for "range increment" for dagger, light hammer, shortbow and longbow as
    10, 20, 60 and 100 feet respectively. Checked the fields from protos.tab and found all numbers for the supposedly "range increment" field to be exactly the same. This field lies just before projectile type.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  3. Elof

Elof Member

It looks good and works fine this time man , the new page looks good too

4. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

what language/prgoram you making it in? If delphi I could send you my code for .tab file editing...

5. Kentamanos

Kentamanos Member

He's using C#.

6. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

c++? MAn i found that hard to use and gave up on it since I havd no classes and I already self learned delphi quite easily.

7. Kentamanos

Kentamanos Member

Not C++, C# (pronounced C-sharp, like a musical note).

It's closer to Java than C++ in MANY ways. It's a very nice language with a sweet IDE.

8. Joviex

Joviex Member

Whew.... glad it is working ok for everyone so far.

I will definately upadte that dex bonus column and any other I can find or anyone can let me know about. Thanks for that.

I am familiar enuf with Delphi if you wanted to send me the code. I do almost any thing modern comp. lang., with some ancient ones as well. Its my lot in life to be a programmer (although I keep trying to make movies).

Only had one person with a strange installation issue so far, so, if all goes well, it should be able to read/write those new values tonight.

In the next few days the remaining bits of the proto's and dialog portions should be solid enuf for Add/Edit/Delete's.

O, BTW, if you have any updated proto.tab files in the data directory, it automagically scans for those and will use any data that you have changed around. It will then, if no such file exists, fallback to the DAT information. The actual order is Module Directory->Data Directory->Dat file.

This way I figured if anyone was going to make new modules, they can easily keep it all seperated.

Thanks again for the help, you guys rock!

9. zhuge

Ok, a few more fields here to flesh out.
    First of all, I completely agree with the stickied Protos.tab field definitions posted here by Phalzyr that column 157 is the CR of a creature. This can be safely added.

I believe column 130 to be base AC which is usually 10. Humans frequently have this column blank so I think the default value here is 10.
    EDIT: On second thought, it probably isn't since Lacedon have a 5 in this column and they definitely also sport a base AC of 10. Hmm... ???

Lastly, I think column 161 should be Natural Armor.
    Trolls have 7, Hobgoblins have 4 and Hill Giants have 12.
    Ogres should have 6 as per the 3.5e SRD but this column was blank which made the value default to 0. Since Ogres have a Dex of 8 (-1AC) and are large sized (-1AC), this makes their AC 8 which is unusually easy to hit and should be rectified.
    As further proof, Lubash (the Moathouse Ogre) does indeed have a 6 in this column. Comments?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  10. zhuge

Noticed that while number of attacks and damage done is clearly coded, I can't seem to find attack bonus or base attack bonus.
    A Will O' Wisp's BAB is 14 and I can't seem to find any field with 14 amongst the still unknown fields.

Could it be that AB is already precalculated in field 135?
    AB for:
    Will O' Wisp = 14(base)-5(Str)+1(size) = 10
    Troll = 4(base)+6(Str)-1(size) = 9
    Jackalwere = 2(base)+6(Str) = 8
    Jackal = 2(base)+1(Str) = 3
    Gargoyle = 6(base)+0(Str) = 6

However not every creature has a number entered in field 135, which is surprising. Any clues?

11. Joviex

Joviex Member

Thanks. Those will clear a few more fields. Not sure about the AB being pre-calc'd, got me on that.

I have to admit though, seeing as how I have about two people who have shown interest (outside of myself) in a tool to mod the game, I am not exactly overflowing with enthusiam anymore to continue adding anything.

Barring any movements to get things done for a few more than 2 people, I think I am off to better spend my programming time. But I am definately in it if there is interest......

12. zhuge

I understand. It is after all still a game and RL and work take precedence of course. Not asking for anything but to have a look when you are free and only update when you feel like it. There shouldn't be any pressure at all.
    The forums are slow over here as compared to Atari but I also feel that most people want a complete mod/fix served up instead of tinkering with tools. If I remember correctly, even the response to Infinity Engine tools/mods wasn't that overwhelming either and that is a far more established engine. I believe with time and perhaps an expansion/sequel, the demand for an easy-to-use editor will grow.

I don't think I will be doing much modding myself but I am reasonably keen in knowing what the various columns code for. That info should come in handy regardless of whether and when the official patch is released.
    Cheers.

13. zhuge

Ok, got another couple here.

column function
    158 base Reflex save
    159 base Fort save
    160 base Will save

Ogres have 0,6,1 respectively for columns 158,159,160
    Hill Giants have 3,12,4
    Trolls have 4,11,3

All values are similar to that in 3.5e SRD.

Used Phalzyr's editor 2.4.1. He seems to agree that column 135 may be to hit (attack bonus) as well.

14. jsnider193

jsnider193 Member

Interested = Yes

have used your tool more to look at things then to change (at this point) ,, but even though am retired at this point in time (things change) 'rl' does intrude and game play is limited at this point. Must say like the tool and hope to use to add/mod a few things after the 'expected patch(??)' comes out.

jms

15. Joviex

Joviex Member

Well I do have a working version for editing/saving the changes made in the protos fields. THat is where I stopped.

Maybe once the patch is out, and we get the final word that things are the way they are I will go ahead and polish off the functions that are currently there.

The only area I would have to slightly retool is the proto editing, if they make any changes to the columns (highly unlikely). And also finish off the dialogue sections.

I will keep it alive till the offical patch is released and set to fix those areas, and then scout it from there.

BTW, thanks for the support. I really do appreciate it.

Our Host!