Coup de Grace and Trolls

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by philgarrad, Oct 17, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. philgarrad

philgarrad Member

Is it a bug that you can kill Trolls with a Coup de Grace? I'm sure I can remember one of the forums saying it was. However combat ends when the troll is knocked unconscious (if on its own), so killing it with a Coup de Grace must be likened to hacking its head off, or some other like action. What say you?

2. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

as far as i knew you could ONLY kill a troll with fire and acid by D&D standards, i have heard nothing of lopping their heads off.

3. philgarrad

philgarrad Member

I'm not a hardcore D&D player, but have played a few PnP RPGs in the past, and to think that there's nothing you can do to an unconscious body given time seems a bit hard to believe.

4. philgarrad

philgarrad Member

I've just had a combat with "The Little Troll" and couldn't carryout a Coup de Grace whilst in combat mode (invalid combat type or some such reply) but as soon as the combat ended (ie the troll was beat) the selected characted could carryout a Coup de Grace and "hacked off his head". Seems good to me.

5. strangelove

strangelove Member

Take the head I say! Blood! Raaaaa!

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Senior Curmudgeon

Not all parties can use acid/fire on Trolls - so Troika included beheading

The ToEE manual mentions this modification of the D&D acid/fire to prevent regeneration rule, and showed that decapitation was set as another route.

:thumbsup:

7. arcane12

arcane12 Member

I would say the Coup de Grace could be considered as building a fire on the trolls body, as there are no torches or wood+kindling+flint&steel which would be the standard way of killing a troll. Cutting his head off would make the body grow another head :eek:

To do a Coup de Grace in combat make sure your pointer is hovering over the trolls body before right clicking for the radial menu, this sets the default target. This is also the same if you find some doors that you cant unlock via other means - you have to rightclick on the door to set the default target. This, I think, is a 'feature' of the combat engine that is a bit annoying ;)

8. Grayth

Grayth Member

I'm not familiar with D&D 3.5, but in 3.0 a troll only regenerates as long as it has more than 0 hit points. After that it's all over but the crying.

They took a lot of teeth out of the troll in 3e.

1e & 2e Trolls are much nastier. You have to use acid or fire to kill them. Although, if you cuisinart them they tend to regenerate rather slowly.

Just my 0.02.

9. clarkrs

clarkrs Member

It's true that the troll can only regenerate if it has positive HP, but if all you have done is hack it with a sword it's always going to have positive HP. Unless it is vulnerable to the damagef type, it only takes subdual damage which doesn't lower the HP total.

Our Host!