The case of 0rion79: opinions needed!

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Jan 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

What should we do about our situation with 0rion79?

1. Ignore the matter. Just let it be, whatever happens.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Try to work things out by negotiations (only publicly, at the Co8 boards)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Try to work things out by negotiations (elect Cerulean the Blue to be the spokesman)

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Try to work things out by negotiations (elect someone else to be the spokesman)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Keep the sanctions, without any negotiations, and only lift them if 0rion79 redeems himself.

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  6. I can't care less.

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Dear members of the Circle of Eight community,

The question I would like to put to your consideration today is not an easy one. Everyone knows the situation we have with Orion, the question that remains is what we are going to do about it.

As you know, for the moment Taluntain has removed Orion's mod from sorcerers.net. However, from what Taluntain said, Orion definitely wants his mod back online, and he said he would give due credit to everyone who made the original Co8 mod and excuse himself.

However, the very way he did this proposal is outrageously impudent, and unfortunately may not reveal Orion's true intentions (because Orion himself wasn't the one speaking): first of all, he didn't come to the boards to negotiate with us personally. Instead, he passed his suggestions through Taluntain. Second, he proposed that it is up to us, Co8 modders, to provide him with all necessary materials (the license agreement, the credits list, and so on) so he can give credit to our modders in his mod.

But isn't it us who got offended in the first place, by his actions and by the fact that he stole our work? It seems like Orion wants a cheap way out of this mess, which in my humble opinion he doesn't deserve.

But - that's solely my opinion, and my opinion can't be the final one in a matter like this. That's why I'm making this thread and this poll to ask everyone who cares about the matter to get a chance to defend his rights and defend his honor. It is up to all of you to decide what we should do about this matter.

A certain group of modders (Gaear, Cerulean the Blue, Lord_Spike, and yours truly) at today's IRC meeting have come to the following proposal, and it should also be considered: Cerulean the Blue has agreed to be the spokesman and speak with Orion, in case Orion will be willing to speak with the Circle of Eight team and won't wish to do it openly on the boards. So, let me know what you think about this idea.

Please vote in the poll, but don't vote "emptily", I would like your vote to be backed up by your words. Based on the results of the poll and on your opinion about the situation, we'll decide what to do next. Also, Taluntain will be informed of the possible outcomes and our final decision.

Now it's up to you, the modders and the authors of the Co8 mod pack, to decide what we should do.

- Agetian

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Case well put. I don't mind supplying info on what I did (I think I have on the other thread) but clearly folks here have some stronger views on the matter than I (though I am quite pissed he stole Ah Fong. He's going to get a damn good blogging for that). Anyways, bottom line, I support the decision u guys took.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I am totally for forcing 0rion to talk to us if he wants his mod back up on Sorcerer's Place. I have volunteered to be the spokesperson if this community decides to deal with 0rion through one person. I am equally comfortable with someone else as the spokesperson (especially if it was one of the elders of this communtiy, such as Agetian or Morpheus), or even letting 0rion choose which member of this community he would prefer in this capacity. I would add that the spokesperson, whoever it may be, will serve only as an intermediary between 0rion and this community, not as a decision making entity.

The idea of a spokesperson was suggested because it may be easier for 0rion to deal with one individual privately rather than come here publicly and subject himself to the slings and arrows this community may righteously heap upon him. It was suggested in the interests of resolving this situation swiftly in a fair and just manner, rather than just venting our anger upon him.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I think the negotiations should be public, here at the Co8. I'd like to see what the smarmy thief has to say, but I understand that it could get ugly (mudslinging and all), so the thread should be heavilly moderated to include only the reasons (not abuse - from either side) for disagreeing with 0rions actions, and should culminate in a poll at the end to determine his mod's fate.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Established Member Administrator

Actually, I've asked him myself that he doesn't post in the original discussion that started in another thread. I didn't see anything but a flame war coming out of that. But given these new developments, it's obvious that it will take some time to resolve all the issues here, and I definitely support the idea of representatives from here talking to Orion directly. Considering the number of grievances, it'd take much longer if it all had to go through me, and since I'm not familiar with all the details, it wouldn't work that well anyway.

So, to begin with, I suggest someone from here gets into contact with him over e-mail, or ask him to post here (but again, I don't think that'd be the preferred way of handling it). I'm not going to put the mod back up until everything is resolved, so both sides have the time to do what needs to be done.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If you need to read up on 0rion's behaviour and modding attitude, right from the mod in question, take a look at Ted's blogg, that about sums it up for me.

@Shiningted; Bloody funny in places BTW :evil_laug

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

*Unloads belt of API ammo from M-60; maintains position on post.

I'm not aggrieved, per se, due to his so-called modding - only by what he's done to hurt the community. This is his mess, and he should be the one to clean it up. The modders here are ever the helpful & forgiving kind, so I will not hamper their efforts to resolve this how they feel it would best be resolved. It's their work after all; I'm just a staunch supporter of it.

I know Blue would represent the community well. I think Orion could post here, as long as he reigns in his ego. I for one will not open up on him until he shows what I believe to be are his true colors. He's done it before; twice now. And it cost this community dearly in the process (Drifter, maybe others...?).

This is his third chance, and he needs to 1. apologize; 2. show some respect for others; and 3. clean up after himself. Then, he may just become a part of the team, not the star he believes himself to be. A lot of progress has been made in modding; who knows what he'll learn and be able to help with (or even actually create himself) in the future? But he's got to avail himself of this opportunity in the spirit that it's offered.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  8. nomad461

nomad461 Member

The whole flap with Orion79 occured before I joined this community. So my opinion is based on what I have read from various postings on the subject. Since he stole other people's work and didn't give them credit for it, I believe him to be lazy, because he didn't do the work him self, and unethical, because he didn't ask and didn't give credit. Now he hasn't approached on his own but had someone else make the approach (could be a result of laziness or emabarassment). He has asked others to do work (gather a list of names and credits) for him (still lazy). To me it seems he is still lazy and not likely to be a productive, helpful member of the community, so I say keep him out.

Another factor I considered is this: With the numbers of modders already working, and the difficulties of keeping all the patches together and their install order correct, do we really want a modder who has already shown him self to be a rogue modder making things even more difficult?

Nomad461

9. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

As far as I'm concerned, the community created the mod, so the community's responsible for the mod. When you have some guy splinter from the community and rip off a bunch of work belonging to other members of the community, claiming them as his own 'alternative' release, my only reaction to such an action is to tell said individual to go fuck himself.

Bottom line: It's a community mod, so it belongs to the community. Period.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

After reading what's been said here, I'm starting to lean towards taking the hardline stance on this. As many have pointed out, what do we really owe Orion at all? Nothing. So why should we feel compelled to undertake the means to get him and his mod back on their feet? We have no obligation in this area. Only general good will could account for us doing this.

So I propose that we do the following:

1. Keep the sanctions on Orion's mod in force, assuming that Tal keeps it off SP.

2. Don't make any overtures to initiate direct communication with Orion.

3. Keep an open channel available should Orion want to contact us in order to straighten out his mess. (The forum is open; he could also choose to PM anybody, and many of us have our e-mails listed in their User CPs.)

4. Agree to lift sanctions on Orion's mod should he contact us and make the proper reparations, which would include his researching the matter to produce an appropriate readme that credits each modder whose work he has used, in detail, as Morpheus specified in the other thread.

I share Agetian's concern that Orion's cavalier approach to this matter so far casts doubt on any heartfelt contrition on his part, and calls into question the likely quality of any amends he might make in his readme files.

Note: I have posted this before reading Ted's blog in an attempt to avoid temper flare-ups.

11. Cerulean the Blue

I just wanted to add that any spokesperson (if that is the way we choose to go) should publicly post any and all corespondeces (both sides) with 0rion, unedited, on this forum. It would go like this:

1) 0rion emails (PMs, whatever) the spokesperson.
    2) The spokesperson posts that corespondence in a thread dedicated to this.
    3) The community discusses it and decides on a response.
    4) The spokesperson drafts a reply and posts it in the thread, edititng it as per the communities wishes.
    5) The spokesperson sends the relpy to 0rion.

It is a little cumbersome, I know, and will require people to be on the ball, since I don't think we should wait more than 24, perhaps 48 hours before replying.

I agree that 0rion should make the first move. That is why I suggested that Taluntain email 0rion and tell him that he needs to open a dialog with us if he wants his mod back up. From Taluntain's post, I gather that he is passing that ball back to us. It really isn't his problem after all.

In deference to Taluntain, I think a member of this community should email 0rion and let him know that if he wants the mod back up, he is going to have to talk to us, either publicly, or through private coresponcences with a member of this community, and that all such private corespondences will be made public on this forum. Again, I have volunteered to do this, but perhaps it would be best if it was one of the communities elders.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Established Member Administrator

I don't care who mails whom. The only reason I haven't told him to mail one of you himself is because I didn't know yet if you're decided who you want to speak for everyone (or if you want a public discussion with him here). If that person is you, I can fire a mail to Orion right away and tell him to mail you. Just let me know.

13. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

My $0.02 cents worth. Ask Tuluntain to have Orion get in touch with CtB. If Orion initiates the dialogue and is willing to make reperations for his misdeeds, lift the sanction. Otherwise, screw him.

Stealing other peoples work is Definitely not cool, and I don't feel you guys owe him anything.

Cuchulainn

14. maalri

maalri Immortal

I came in after he left, but I did read some of his posts, and have seen his new one at Sorcerers.net.

I have no stake in this because, I just enjoy the mods, not make them, yet anyway...

I say stick to the hardline.

For someone to steal someone else's work (Blue's notes are still in his! and everyone knows Ah-Fong is Ted's) and then to claim it as your own, while utterly disrespecting those who made some, if not all of the mod you are claiming as your own, is deplorable!

If it were a book, it would be as if he plagiarized pieces of other's books, claimed the entire book as his own, and crowed that it was the best book ever written, then threw disparaging remarks at the other authors. That would land him in jail in many countries.

Make him retract the whole thing.

15. Cerulean the Blue

Spamming this thread again, I am.

Just spoke with Agetian, and I feel the need to clarify what is meant by "negotiations". This does not mean any compromise on our part. This is just a dialog with 0rion79 to make our conditions known and to ensure that they are met.

Our Host!