Change character in a saved game?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Fionavar, Jan 5, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Fionavar

Fionavar Member

I am sorry to post this as I know there are some indications there is something here that may help ... but I do not see something specific enough to direct me. So I apologise!

I have a saved game with a characters whose feat I chose incorrectly. I was wondering, therefore, if there is a way (programme?) to remove the wrong feat 'combat casting' and replace it with 'combat reflexes'? I am very appreciative for any help in this regard.

2. Fionavar

Fionavar Member

I apologise for bumping this - and I will not again - I just want to confirm that assumption of silence indicates that this is not possible?

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I'm sorry. I thought someone had already gotten back to you on this. There is no easy way to change feats on a character in a saved game. You could try hex editing the save, but I for one have no idea what to look for or where in the save to edit.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

It might be possible via hacking your saved game. But if you're asking about it, then I'm guessing that hex editing isn't your thing (mine neither) which would mean it's not possible.

edit: this thread may help with hex editing (it may not, but meh)

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319476

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  5. Shadowblade2

Shadowblade2 Established Member

There is a character editor called TCE, IIRC, but that only edits characters that you have made before you start the game. You can port them into a current game by clicking on the ledger in the Inn of the Welcome Wench, but they will be level 1 with no XP. I don't think it can be used to add levels or XP. Irritating, as my main melee tank, a 1/2-Orc Barbarian-Fighter, "Ogrik Trollslayer", is referred to as [null] as somehow I forgot to name him (or changed his name to nothing) before starting.

I've no idea why there's no saved game editor. The guy who made Leto for NWN should be able to do it, unless there's something unhackable about ToEE.

Also, with Co8 mod 4.0.0, I find that clicking the ledger causes my game to crash with an "unexpected error". I don't know if this is to do with the mod or my game.

~

6. Fionavar

Fionavar Member

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to humour my bump! I have a saved game that is not too old from the level up mistake, so I will likely just replay from there. Thanks again for both this community and all of your help!

7. Cerulean the Blue

If you modify the PC/NPC ratio with Front End or the Max PC Count Patcher, that will happen. This is a known bug, and there is no fix for it.

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

We seem to be going over and over this again. Since people don't seem to actually read the readmes, is there any way to get a pop-up or some other form of notification in Tofee that says "Hey, if you change the PC count, it will cause a CTD if you try to access character pool from the Inn! We mean it! Really! Your game will crash and you will be sad! Don't say we didn't warn you!"?

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

This might be a good use for the descriptor type windows that pop up in the tutorial....

10. Cerulean the Blue

Because thus far we haven't been able to completely figure out the .mob files, let alone the saved game files.

Our Host!