Favorite and non-favorite Crafted Items?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wanderon, Dec 11, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. wanderon

wanderon Member

I have not looked very closely yet at all the stuff that can be crafted in the game. Frankly I'm not too excited about giving up exp along with my hard earned gold so I can make things myself...Being a packrat and a cheapskate most of my games depend much more heavily on stuff I "find" than stuff I "buy" anyway.

That said I would be interested to hear what particular crafted items others tend to go for or not go for and why you think they are either "worth every copper" or "not worth the effort."

Extra credit for verbosity...;)

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I understand the pack-rat mentality - been there myself - but if you are not gonna buy stuff and you are not anxious to craft stuff, what exactly are u hoarding the gold for?

3. wanderon

wanderon Member

A rainy day?? :twisted:

Actually i would have less problem spending the gold for crafting stuff I just don't even like the idea of losing exp. For one thing it just doesn't make sense. If anything you should GAIN experience from successfully crafting something not lose it...:confused:

Otherwise I hoard the gold so I can spend it for the "really good stuff" except there doesn't seem to be any of that in the shops in this game and in most games I also hoard it for raising my dead but since I don't like losing exp that doesn't apply in this game either!

I often hoard potions and scrolls and wands for that BIG battle when I really NEED them too which means I generally still have a crapload of them when the final battle is over...:twisted:

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Put a crowbar in your wallet, there, kiddo & start crafting. That goes for the XP, too. You'll get more. Everything that you can craft is worth them both.

5. Anstil

Anstil Hobgoblin Raider

RE: Favorite Crafted Items

The Helm of Read Magic in Wonderous Items is affordable and will help you identify all those potions and scrolls you find.
    Hope it Helps

6. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

I like the +3 holy keen great cleavers with all three burst effects. Gotta love doing 140+ with one crit! :)

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

And, Wanderon, not to beat a dead horse...but...

console commands- I mentioned earlier that I only use them for experience and I use them because I do not agree with losing experience for crafting (you should gain)... seems we have that in common--

That being said- I know you stringent position on console commands, and I apologize for posting this reminder, or I WOULD apologize if I didn't think it would be good food for thought for you. (think Equalizer-not Cheater- no one is saying give all your characters 100000 exp or gold, just what should be fair for how you think the game should be played-it is YOUR game after all, you bought it.)

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

The reasoning behind magical items requiring XP to create is because they make the character (or one of his party members) more powerful. It's a balancing factor. If you gained XP for doing it, casters would do nothing but craft items as much as possible.

Besides, it's still better than how it worked in 1st and 2nd edition. Sure, you gained XP for crafting the item, but you also needed to cast Permanancy on it, which cost you a permanent Constitution point (not fixable by Restoration)every time you cast it. (And this was back in the days when you didn't get a free ability point every 4 levels.)

I normally stick to crafting stat boosters, magical armor and putting holy on weapons.

9. wanderon

wanderon Member

No doubt much of my reluctance to give up exp and annoyance that I am asked to do so comes from the fact that in EVERY other CRPG I have played it is possible to either find, loot or simply purchase such items once you have saved up the cash to do so. As an American capitalist pig this makes perfect sense to me while the idea that someone loses experience by doing something well does not.

As for putting rules in place expressly to stop people from abusing something well...:jerkin: :D

10. wanderon

wanderon Member

Next question - which class is better for crafting weapons and armor - cleric, druid or mage?

Hey I just had a brainstorm - I could take Burne and have him craft stuff until we run out of cash or he runs out of experience - does the game actually drop you in levels if you use up enough experince to do so or is it like raising dead where they just drop the exp and leave the level?? ;)

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If you don't have enough experience over and above your last gained level minimum XP requirement, you cant craft that item/weapon ehancement/armor enhancement/wand/staff/ring/scroll/potion.

BTW, I would post my favourite magical items, but since I made 100+ of them I'm kind of biased.

12. wanderon

wanderon Member

So what you're saying is for crafting purposes you need to be say 1000 exp above the minimum of the level required to craft something in order to craft something that takes away 1000 exp...

but what about other things that are dependent on your level. If your mage drops below the exp needed for a level by crafting items does he actually lose that level for purposes of spell slots and determining damage of spells that are X per level??

13. Allyx

No, if crafting an item would drop you below the minimum XP for your current level, you cannot craft the item until you have more "spare XP"

14. wanderon

wanderon Member

This is true even if you are say level 8 and the crafting only requires level 6?

15. Allyx

Yes you must have the required level in (at least) 1 spellcasting class (some staves require 2 casting classes) AND enough extra XP to cover the XP cost of the item your crafting.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
Our Host!