Some misc gameplay questions...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wanderon, Dec 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

there is a nice magical bastard sword in the game just don't use it in the fire node. you can buy masterwork katanas from brother smyth as well.

I'm pretty sure that a suggested npc is also flaged as charmed meaning they turn on you if you hurt them.

2. twilightsephiroth

twilightsephiroth tWiLiGhT wAtChEr

another option, from something else i had posted about, is obtaining Fragarach from Thrommel inside the temple (3rd floor???) my memory isnt the best right now bc its late, but...its a magical greatsword that always hits (except when you fight zuggmoyt, her concealment can be a bitch) and adds a +4 bonus to (damage??), but is +8 if you're chaotic good...also for that align, you get free, unlimited AoO on opponents...i'll go back and check out the specifics if you want, but its a nice 2 handed weapon for sure :)

seph

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Masterwork armor reduces the armor check penalty by one. However, for some unknown reason this penalty reduction is added as a bonus to all affected skills by the engine, rather than an actual reduction of the penalty per item, which leads to all kinds of wierdness. But basically, in addition to being craftable, MW armor gives less of a penalty to sneaky type characters than normal armor.

The point of a bastard sword (and katana) requiring a feat to use 1-handed is the fact that they do more damage than any other one-handed sword. (1d10 vs 1d8 for a longsword, for example.)

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yes masterwork armor grants a check penalty bonus of +1, it doesn't display in the info box when you hover over it in your inventory, but if you check the breakdown for a dexterity based skill, you'll see the masterwork bonus (and it can be made magical too).

5. wanderon

wanderon Member

Ok thanks all for the input on the weapons and armor thing - that two hander sounds good and my barb/fighter is indeed CG so maybe I've caught a break there...

Now how about some tips on fighting those damn will-o-wisps what a royal pain they are - the first battle with them last night I managed to kill one of them and get a second close to death before losing a character. It appears I can only hit them on a crit while they don't have too much trouble hitting us. :help:

6. twilightsephiroth

twilightsephiroth tWiLiGhT wAtChEr

When i fought those, i managed to catch a break and kill them, but i took some healthy damage in the process...if you can, and they work, use spells like Bless, Prayer, Cat's Grace, and other buffing spells which give you an edge...throw in some mage armor, Shield, ect...and see if that doesnt help.

also double check their spell resistance and so on, but if you can hit them with a damage spell, might help too?

just my 2 cents
    seph

7. wanderon

wanderon Member

I was looking through my preist spells for buffs- there is a level one spell that will offer some protection from electricity but with only a bard for arcane casting I don't have much in damage producing spells.

8. wanderon

wanderon Member

Well we inadvertantly discovered Smigmal Redhand decieved us earlier when we attempted to rest in his/her chambers in order to memorize some new spells to face the will-owisps with.

We are now in combat with Smigmal but cannot see/target him/her and using glitterdust in the area where he/she must be (based on who she is attacking) did not "outline" him/her either so I am supsecting this is a bug rather than a "feature" or legitimate spell he/she is using????:scratchhe

9. Allyx

You can target her initiative icon and use area effect spells (fireball, lightning bolt etc..), and yes it is a bug.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  10. wanderon

wanderon Member

You mean her "combat" icon at the top of the screen? As for AoE stuff we are pretty limited on those with no wizzie or sorc. Just got beat up rather badly by the bugbears too. We can stop them with entangle and do some damage with spike growth but that seems to only do damge on the first time they enter it is that a bug too??

We can't seem to hit much of anything even with buffs and such boosting attacks to +10-13 everyone we face seems to have AC in the high 20s or low 30s...

11. wanderon

wanderon Member

Well we backed off that area after a powerword:reload spell or three and did a bit of random hunting and then went in the top floor of the temple instead and started down a level at a time. The first skelly encounter on the first level leveled us to 6 and the first encounter with earth temple gaurds filled our packs. I think we may have just gotten a little ahead of ourselves in the other area and need to move forward more cautiously.

As we returned to town to trade I looked over the wondrous items list as I had given the feat to my bard and it appears that will take a considerable amount of study to determine if any of them are going to be worthwhile - the cost in gold is considerable to begin with and the loss of exp makes it even more painful. Perhaps I shall start a seperate thread on the whole crafting thing or go d/l the crafting guide I saw someplace. Once again the item descriptions like the spell descriptions leave much to be desired...:suprised:

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

And I was so looking forward to your encounters with all the creatures starting with 'L' that lie beyond the wisps.

13. wanderon

wanderon Member

Well hopefully we shall get there eventually but probably not until next weekend as its back to work tomorrow (I've been playing hookey since Tuesday and since I am an owner/op no work means no pay so back to the road I go...:poop: )

We have just about cleared all the first level (earth) altho we were unable to do any questing for the head honcho as we ran into his commander before we ran into him and the poor commander did not survive the encounter. The head man refused to listen to us (wanted us to see the commander and there was no option to tell him he was dead) so we killed the honcho too then sytematically cleared the rest of the level with a few trade/heal trips to town in between.

Now at level 7 and starting to kick some serious butt.

Got a little nervous when we stopped to play with an Ettin along the road to town and everything got sssssllllloooooooowwwwwww and I had not saved for a while so I didn't want to reload. Could barely control the characters at all - it was almost impossible to even get their radial menu to open so we just kept whacking at him until he died with every turn taking like 30 seconds or longer to complete and then things got back to normal when it was over.

Crowded corridors are a PITA I can't figure out why a great sword doesn't appear to have any reach even when weilded by an enlarged half-orc. Several times he's been blocked out of the fight and had to waste a couple turns until we got some others moved to open a path.

Doing pretty well considering we have no nuke options but I'm guessing we will miss them later. Been piling up quite a stash of cash so maybe we will go ahead and take Burne at some point. He was level 8 when I took him earlier (then reloaded aprior save from before we took him).

14. Allyx

That is where dual weilding glaives comes in handy :poke:

15. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Enlarge should grant reach. It doesn't. Bug in the game.

Our Host!