Game recommendations???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joeyp130, Dec 9, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. joeyp130

joeyp130 Member

Hey all,

I was just wondering what other games like TOEE or PoR that you all could recommend?

I really like the DD system but would be interested in trying other RPG's with a turn-based combat system...

Thanks in advance..

JoeyP

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Have you tried the UFO series? The first one had a turn based system and is vaguely RPGish.

I'm struggling to think of any true RPGs with a true turn based combat system released since ToEE. Silent Storm has turnbased combat, I guess.

(UFO can be downloaded from Home of the Underdogs for free).

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The Final Fantasy series is a turn based RPG, I enjoyed FFVIII, FFIX and FFX (I have FFX 2, but haven't played it yet), but I haven't tried FFXI online.

4. twilightsephiroth

twilightsephiroth tWiLiGhT wAtChEr

Depending on your tastes in games, there are a few more i could suggest, though not all are going to be just like ToEE...

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind is an excellent RPG-type game, which boasts a massive world and literally months of things to do.

If you like turn based combat, and would like to try strategy RPG's, then there are a few i can speak about...an older game, Final Fantasy Tactics, is one...some newer ones which fall along the same lines are such games as La Pucelle Tactics and Disgaea (both excellent games, but not mainstream really). I am a big fan of La Pucelle, which has a decent story line, interesting character development qualities, and a decent amount of playability.

Depending on your taste of online games, some people like Everquest...i'm not one of them. But hey, if you like it :p

Neverwinter Nights is a AD&D property, though i admit i know little about it other than its a semi-popular online game. There is also Final Fantasy 11, online.

There are also many online text based games which are alot of fun to play (one of which i build/dev for), and such a list can be found on sites like mudconnecter.com or any other number of sites...I do have a rather knowledgable base about such games, so i can field a great many questions about such games.

anyway, hope that helps :)
    Seph

5. Brute Hogar

Brute Hogar Member

I would heartily recommend Wizardry 8---strong turn-based combat and one of the best character development systems ever...Probably a bit more similar to Runequest and other archaic Chaosium pen & paper RPGs

6. krille

krille Member

Some VERY good AD&D based games not mentioned yet:
    Baldur's Gate series, definitely. BG2 is often considered the best RPG of all time.
    Icewind Dale series.
    Planescape Torment.

All of those are Black Isle games. They are turn based, but they use "concurrent turns" for all characters (PCs and NPCs), but you can put pauses between every round to issue commands and such. Check 'em out!

7. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

I can't believe none of you haven't mentioned the Fallout series yet! For shame! Anyway, Fallout I and II are great roleplaying games set in a postapocalyptic future, they have a great storyline, there are *many* opportunities to roleplay your character, and best of all - it's turnbased!

Our Host!