Next new module?

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Allyx, Nov 14, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

Well, gee, that's not TOO tragic if you can keep gaining XP for an entire level. How often do you not visit town between leveling up to 2 and leveling up to 4 (for example)? I like the idea of having to return to town; not sure if it's feasible though.

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I just think the idea of "I've just fought my way through dozens of foes. Too bad none of it is actually going to sink in until I go back to town and whack the pell for a week." is silly, personally.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

It does make u rethink the idea of training... fighters etc get their experience (and the benefits of it) on the field of battle I guess, yeah, though additional training would still be of benefit. They'd probably need training for new feats like whirlwind attack etc too.

But this idea WAS meant to mainly be for wizards, and they would have to go somewhere and learn their new spells etc.

4. twilightsephiroth

twilightsephiroth tWiLiGhT wAtChEr

Good ideas so far :) Personally, i was always partial to Secret of the Silver Blades myself, as well as pretty much ANYTHING Ravenloft related (esp Lord Soth!). I used to have an old Ravenloft game, where you played in Barovia, but my comp died and i lost the disk as well :(

Perhaps something to bear in mind, if you're looking for something to make wizards work for spells (which may be a larger undertaking) would be the creation of The Great Library. This library would be a place where mages could congregate and learn new spells, practice, and share information. Could add tons of sidequests, as well as accomplish what everyone is talking about in this thread...lots of possibilities :)

anyway, off to repair my car :(

Seph

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I would love to see any of the Ravenloft stories done with TOEE, but I have to agree with Kalshane about earning exp and gaining levels, though I think someone would learn feat type moves on the battle field....spring attack to get inside a hill giants slow overhead attack, or whirlwind to keep flanking goblins at bay. Yes, I think a mage would need to study with, or purchase from a higher ranking mage the more powerful spells, though I think he/she would become more competent at spellcasting as he/she cast more spells especially in combat.

btw....I'm no modder by any means, but I have beta tested a few mods (infinnity engine) and I would be happy to help with KOTB any way I can. (even willing to learn some basic modding skills)

6. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

Isn't it just obvious that the GDQ series should, ideally, be the next classic adventures to be ToEEed? Besides their classic status the series has seven parts, of which the first five are all fairly short, that could easily be done sequentially.

Not that I'm in any rush. I'm happy to just wait as long as it takes to see how KotB turns out, and after that I'm sure the next one will be awesome regardless of which module it is.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

We've been hoping for years that Atari would get the stick out of ther ass & get moving on this project, but it seems that all they're willing to do with said stick is offer us the shitty end of it. I for one have been screaming for Queen of the Spiders for literally that long...all of it wasted keystrokes.

8. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

anything ebberon...cujo make some warforged, shifters, changlings, and the other thing that doesn't come to mind...yup do it now lol

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

you do what with a carrot?
    I mean "what the hell are those things?"

10. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

warforged are living constructs. pretty much the closest thing to a cyborg dnd gets. i kinda like them.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

so its a (flesh)golem/juggernaught with life is it?

12. Banelord

Banelord Member

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil?

I'm looking for information on new maps. Specifically, can the originals be extracted, spliced, and reedited? Can't seem to find pertinent information anywhere as to whether it has been successfully dune, only find hints as to its possibility. I figure Return to ToEE is ready made DnD 3 rules, most of the characters are in the original game already, just need a level up. The game could be seamlessly integrated through the front end, and an intro movie ala Star Wars type text rolling, (10yrs later, blah, blah).

New characters could be introduced, only thing that seems to need alot of work is Hommlett, new buildings have to be put in. I've got 3D apps, a couple nice models and textures, and 2d image editors, and I'm willing to do some work on it, I'd just have to figure out the proper camera angle and lighting for rendering, then it *should* be copy, paste, clone a little, and voila, seamless.

Since from what I'm reading in the module so far, it's almost all the same original loci, there'd be little need for scripting to go to new maps, it'd be a great spot to *earn* those newly made, modded items that make people cringe with their power. Great place to create repercussions for what you did in ToEE too. What does happen if you help Elmo's momma? If you played Bertram, converted Jenelda, got Elmo off the wagon, pimped Meleny, and whack Fruella? Maybe the "jilted" flag doesn't work, haven't figured it out yet, but these NPC's could all give the PC's flagged objects as a result of actions taken that would be triggered in the new game.

But, from what I'm gathering, I can't just copy, paste and clone, the PC's will literally walk all over my new building and nobody's figured out a way around that, right?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

13. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

Forget Eberron, how about a Witchfire Trilogy TC ;)

See here for details.

Of course, the 3D format used by ToEE would need cracking first....

Charles

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  14. Dragon_Awakened

Dragon_Awakened Wandering Warrior

perhaps....

Just thinking that you all are skilled enough that it would be cool to see what you as a group could come up with as an original adventure. To this point you have done a great job with the existing work even adding a little bit of your own ideas into ToEE that have greatly improved it.
    There was another rather obscure adventure that was in two parts. The first adventure was King's Festival where in the first part you rescue a kidnapped cleric from an orc tribe that has fallen on hard times. As it turns out these orcs are working with an evil cleric who is exploring an underground tomb. The second part brings you into conflict with that cleric and a few undead minions (skeletons and zombies.)
    The second module in that series is Queen's Harvest where you first help a land baron clear out the cellar of his uncle's estate. The uncle was a powerful and well rerspected wizard. In the cellar is a two-handed sword+2 and a crown the party must retrieve for the new land owner. The land owner does not join the party because he lost an arm in an accident. The cellar holds threats from various creations, a gargoyle, and a few undead created when an intruder read from a scroll of animate dead. There are two female rogues in there one is neutral but leaning toward good while the other is exceptionally unpredictable(CN).
    At the end of the cellar exploration there is a party of evil adventurers sent to both loot the cellar and track down the party for killing the cleric in King's Festival. The party defeats them (presumably) and returns the sword and crown to the land baron. They get paid for their efforts and invited to dinner.
    A powerful cleric shows up at the dinner, regenerates the land baron's arm and delivers an ominous letter containing a threat from a slightly insane (CE) bandit queen who thinks she has a legitimate claim to the land the baron now occupies. This bandit queen is the power behind the cleric in King's Harvest and the party of adventurers encountered in the cellars of the baron's estate.
    This leads the baron and the cleric to ask the party for their help once more in dealing with the bandit queen. The bandit queen has bandits, gnolls, orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins that serve her as well as a few strong npc types. She owns a chaotic evil longsword+2 that gives her control over all goblins and hobgoblins she comes in contact with (they see her as a gooddess). Of course she is safebehind the walls of a keep.
    Plot twists:
    #1) The goblinoids are treated better than the orcs and the orcs resent it. The leader of the orcs might negotiate to abandon the bandit queen's keep.
    #2) one of the bandit queen's captains has captured and abused a young shepard girl. His problem and most recent discovery of his victim is that she is actually a weretiger who if saved and treated well will help the party in their endeavors for the rest of the adventure.

I can give more details later if anybody is interested. There were a lot of holes in those two adventures where new stuff could be introduced.

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hey Dragon... That's a great idea, I just have one thing to say though - YOU JUST GAVE AWAY THE PLOT!!! (j/k)

Our Host!