Newbie needing some help!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by twilightsephiroth, Dec 1, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. twilightsephiroth

twilightsephiroth tWiLiGhT wAtChEr

i hate to sound like a complete newbie to this, but i bought this game with the "jewel case" only version..so no instruction book, etc...
    I really like the game so far, but i'm having some issues...and forgive me if these questions have been answered elsewhere, but i'm short on time right now and havent had a chance to peruse the boards at all...but if someone could help me, i'd appreciate it. you can post responses here, or email me anything you have at twilightsephiroth@gmail.com

Thanks!!

1. I was gonna ask about the moathouse clearing issue, but i did manage to read that thread...so moving on!

2. I have a list of places i can go, but the map looks pretty wide open...what am i missing and how can i get to them? I have the following: Hommet, Nulb, the lagoon where you get the Gar (something Run, first name escapes me), the Temple of Elemental Evil, the moathouse, the moathouse cave entrance, Emeredy Meadows...and thats all i have. there has to be more there on the map, i just cant find anything.

3. There is a quest with Mona in Nulb to recover her Orb of Sah from a man named Mickey, which is supposed to be in Hommet. I've checked around, including the Welcome Wench and the Brewery, and no Mickey...is it a bug, or am i just in the wrong place?

4. The quest to convert the leatherworker: I recovered a potion of Heal from the Herbmonger in Nulb, but neither Terjon nor the leatherworker or the other 2 NPC's there (including Bing) will accept it. The wife of the leatherworker mentions that the church should have a potion for such things, but what am i not doing right? sell the potion to the church?

I think thats all...anything i've either figured out, or havent come across yet...I'm wanting to level up some before taking the temple on (BTW, if it hasnt been said, though i'm sure it has, if you go to the Temple of Elemental Evil with Otis in your party, even if you don't actually go inside, if you go back to nulb for any reason, he'll leave your party...)

Thank you guys Very Very Much! I love the mod i dl'ed the other day as well, awesome stuff!!! maybe i can learn how to do some modding and add something of value :)

Thanks!!
    Sephiroth

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

Oooh! As a former newbie- I can HELP! WooHoo!

1. Glad you figured out the Moathouse Quest-hope my posts helped.

2. Click on the places if they appear on the World Map- which if you pull up your Map- in the upper right corner you can choose World Map (must be outside of buildings in Homlett), and your character will go there--but I think you may have figured that one out already- or I am misunderstanding your question on this.

3. I can really help here-- Mickey is in Nulb- Near the Waterside Inn-- on the walkway to it anyway but only at night time-- After completing this particular Quest Mickey was ALSO at the Welcome Wench in Homlett-again only at night- I think he has an Evil twin...

4. At the Church in Homlett when you go up the stairs to Terjon- in one of the bookcases beside the stairs-open in and get all the scrolls- sell some - keep others- one is a scroll of Heal-- Go and Heal the Leathorworker's Brother with the Scroll (you will need a Cleric or Druid to read the scroll)- Then he will convert.

3. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

4. Did you try *using* the Potion of Heal on Bing? When you use a potion from the radial menu a targeting circle comes up, just like with scrolls. Worked for me. The scroll on the other hand requires at least a mid-level character to cast it.

As for modding, there's been a project underway for a few months now to do a complete conversion mod of Keep on the Borderlands using the TOEE engine. If you're interested in pitching in, check out the forum:

http://www.co8.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Also, there's new backgrounds (maps) to look at here:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~shiningted/gallery.html

4. twilightsephiroth

Hey! thanks for posting so quickly!
    Yeah, i had already cleared the moathouse before i had read the post, but it was good as a refresher to make sure i'd cleared everything out...so thanks for that!

yeah, my question about locations on the map was more directed as "am i missing anything?" location wise...it just seems with all that space in the middle, that there would be more towns, locations, etc...just seems like i'm missing other towns, forts, and so on...the ones i listed in the original post i made were places i've already visited or cleared out (nice armor on that behemoth frog in the Run too!)

AS for the potion, no...i didnt try to use it on the man, and now i feel dumb having not done so...so obvious its something i missed..but the location of those scrolls should also help nicely!

If anyone else has pointers about good quests in the game, or new locations, lemme know!
    and i'll definitely check out the modding page you pointed out...i am a builder/designer/developer for a text based game, so doing that kind of work always interests me :)

Thanks again guys!
    Seph

5. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

2. The map is just used to pick places that have been revealed to you already. You can't go anywhere that isn't scrawled on there by some means (usually a conversation with somebody). Places other than you mentioned are a bunch of little spots around the temple, including one with an entrance to level 3, and an ogre cave, but you've gotta take an evil quest from a bad guy in the temple to get it. I'll say no more (mysterious wink).

3. Mickey will show up in Nulb at night outside the waterside hostel, where Rentsch and Wat hang out with their little biddies.

4. Use the potion from the radial menu and select Bing as the target.

Hope that helps, and welcome aboard! :biggergri

Edit: Blast! Too slow again. I've gotta raise my dex. Hmm. Maybe improved initiative.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

there are a few little places around the temple that you can walk to from the temple map, and a cave somewhere that you get sent to by doing a quest for someone, those are the only other places on the world map.

7. twilightsephiroth

thanks for the responses...i went ahead and followed up on those..now just making my way (carefully) around the temple complex...really big map and i'm digging it :)

The only thing i was kinda like WTF was when you meet thrommel down there....and with my main character as a Paladin, with a powerful cleric AND everyone is good...and given the fact that when you put the cursor over him, or talk to him at first, it identifies him as a vampire...that no one in the party picked that out or offered dialog on the matter.
    figure either i'm not skilled in parlay-type skills to have said so, or it wasnt part of the mission...i thought about going back and just killing him without the benefit of talking to him, but i received his medallion when i spoke before...o well :)

anyway, thanks again, and i'm going to dl the new package shiningted emailed me about sometime today and tinker with it :)

*waves*

Seph

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

I had forgotten that Thrommel showed as a Vampire originally!! I remember now that it was that way in the PnP game I DMed it years ago!! OMG-- and YEAH WTF??!! They sure gave away he WASN'T a Vamp by not allowing combat or even Dialogue about it!! I didn't even catch anything in the game about a Vampire when I cursored over him... I used the walkthrough to rescue the elf-chic and him earlier in the game (the purist in me cried very big tears--but I'll play it right next time)

Twilight-Did you catch my reference in my first answer to this post about FREE scrolls in the Church of St- Cuthbert? I see you mention using a potion later...but hey free is FREE an d you can sell the rest!

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, I guess we should do something bout that :)

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

Umm, Yeah... Paladins conversing amicably with suspected Vampires, instead of -At Least- having to Detect Evil on them is not good. The game should also mention that he is in unmoving- even if the encounter is at night- or some other reason to "tip" off the adventurers that something is not right about this "Vampire" (or else you may have a LOT of fallen Paladin players angry at you).

11. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Sounds a bit harsh to me. You can cast 'detect evil' before you start the dialogue. Can a check be run to see whether someone has cast 'detect evil' on a specific NPC? Because if not, then the whole thing falls down.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sure, its in the prototype, u can do a san_spell_cast in Thrommel's thing to flag if someone has done it. Can do san_true_seeing striaght in the proto as well.

I guess someone should make him LOOK like a Vampire...

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Elf chick, you say? You weren't cozying up to Smigmal Redhand, were you? She's more treacherous than any vampire, if not more deadly.

Be careful who you trust.

14. maalri

maalri Immortal

I apologize to Ted (the slobbery cookie sharer) and any other Modder if my "Uh Yeah" comment was too harsh. That was surprise on my part not reprisal :)

15. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

And now for the most obvious of answers... you said you have a bargin bin version with no manual. You should know that the game installs a PDF manual. It will be in the root directory of the game under the name "ToEE_Manual_ENU.pdf" (if its an english version that is). :)

BTW, does the bargin bin have copy protection? (i heard they often dont, and come with the latest patch preinstalled...)

Our Host!