Summoning Bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by camelotcrusade, Nov 10, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Yeah...the moathouse snake poisoned me reeeeeal good.

Real Life chicken story:

Playing dungeons one lost weekend in the 80's...(G-2, as I recall). Went to Henney Penny; mosied up to the counter with Lord Zorn. Neither of us are small; even back then in our 'yout'. He orders for the entire group:

"I'd like 4 whole fried chickens, please..."

The girl behind the counter then looks at me

"...and what would you like, sir?"

:blink:

2. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

LOL. That's a good one. I don't have any chicken stories, I'm afraid.

Does anybody have any idea why snakes aren't, and never have been, poisonous? Maybe an old temple.dll in there somewhere?

I don't mind so much if the enemy ones aren't, but I sure wish the ones I summoned had venom. Next time anybody does a summoning ball please let me know if your snakes are poisonous. You'll be loading a while waiting for them to hit something... or, heaven forbid, move across the map.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Okay Snake-boy, enough already.:) I looked through the protos. All the vipers have Monster Melee Poison. The snakes do not. So the vipers are posionous, the snakes are not. Which makes sense because the word "viper" means "poisonous snake". This includes summoned vipers and snakes. I don't know why it's not working for you, but I and others have been poisoned by the vipers before. My summoned vipers have poisoned others before as well.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Some of them definitely look more like pythons than vipers, so you wouldn't expect them to be poisonous.

5. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Fair enough. :p

:dead:
    Gosh. I don't know what to say. I swear it's never worked for me since I've owned the game. The enemies aren't even rolling fort saves.

I've never done a clean reinstall of the game... I've just been adding all your patches and and for a while there I was putting in updated temple.dlls in every month, then just this month I installed the Atari patch over the whole thing and put in the CoE mods.

I could try doing the whole thing over, but it's not worth it at this point. Could somebody tell me how to look in the protos to see if my vipers are indeed venemous?

Also, I do know that vipers are poisonous and pythons aren't, but thanks for making that point since I could have easily been confused. I'm a longtime DM so that's why I thought it was funny my vipers didn't poison in the first place.

Hmmm. I wonder when things went south. Any ideas for me guys? My spiders certainly poison, and so do my fungi and shadows (weird, huh....).

Thanks for humoring me.... I'll shut up about it. :cry:

6. Cerulean the Blue

I already looked at all the vipers and snakes in protos, but if you want to look for yourself I will humor you a little further. :p

Protos.tab can be found in data/rules folder of your ToEE root directory. You can look at it with notepad, but I would highly recomend against that. It is easy to mess something up, and not as easy to understand. Instead, download either ProtoEd or ToEE World Builder from the modding tools thread in the Downloads section. I recomend World Builder over ProtoEd because it is more comprehensive and up to date, makes it much harder to mess things up, and is just an amazing modding tool that you will want anyway if you intend to do much modding.

Once you have downloaded and installed the software of your choice, follow the instructions to look at the protos. For ProtoEd, this means clicking on load and finding the protos.tab you want to look at. If you have installed ToEE in the default location, the path will be C:/Program Files/Atari/Temple of Elemental Evil/data/rules. Once the protos is loaded, go to the NPC section and look up the critters you want to see.

For World Builder you have to copy protos.tab, description.mes and long_description.mes into the World Builder folder (the mes files are in ToEE/data/mes). Then start World Builder and let it load. It makes it easier if you open description.mes in notepad and search for the protos IDs you want to find (this goes for ProtoEd as well). Click on the descriptions tab, find the critter you want to look at and then click on Look Up Protos.

The poison ability is in the special abilities section.

7. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Thanks so much, Blue.

I did as instructed and looked it up in the protos file. I found column 14400, small fiendish viper, and found him to indeed have "monster melee poison" with a sad looking "8" by it -- perhaps the DC? I also saw his scores and felt very much sorry for him... 6 strength omg.

So, it's that way in my protos, too. I wonder if someone the augment summoning feat is messing up his poisonous ability. But that doesn't make sense... the Spider is poisoning and he has it anyway. Hmmm. Bummer. I don't understand programming well enough to even guess what's happening, but none of the vipers in my game, summoned or encountered, will poison or induce a poison roll. Perhaps somehow their poison got messed up? I wonder how to look up their venom.

8. Cerulean the Blue

I don't where to find info on the venom. The 8 next to Monster Melee Poison would seem to be the type of venom not the DC. All the vipers have this same number, whether fiendish or not, and reguardless of size. The same is true of spiders. They all have a 2 next to Monster Melee Poison. My guess is the venom type and effects are hard coded, as it seems all the special abilities are. Once again, I don't know why your vipers are not poisoning. Since I and others do not have this same problem, and so far you are the only one to report this bug, I have to say it is most likely unique to your install. That means a clean reinstall is probably your only option to fix it.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I seem to recall that there are some things that die rolls simply don't appear for, yet they are occurring. Could be wrong. But if I'm right, you could be experiencing a garden variety streak-fit from the Mersenne Twister. :shrug:

10. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Heh, maybe that's true. I'll try the clean install one of these days. Thanks everybody!

11. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

Eh, about my earlier chicken (rat) story. I was reminiscing about it with an old friend of mine who was there, when he casually informed me that it was a bat, not a rat, and that I had remembered it wrong. No surprise there, really, as I can barely remember what happened yesterday, let alone events that happened 2 or more years ago. As it stands, I have been corrected.... it was a flaming light bat arrow, not rat. How this is relevant is beyond me. I only know that I would hate to misquote something that I was actually a participant of.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

That's ok, Obadiah...a bat is a rat with wings.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

He tied the bat to an arrow to make it fly? :confused:

Our Host!