How do you kill Iuz ??

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Royal Canadian, Oct 29, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

I know it's not necessary to kill him, but I figure any Neutral Good party should consider it their divine obligation to wipe Iuz off the prime material plane if possible. I've tried several times, and have managed to inflict as much as 277 Hit Points of damage on his ugly hide ( while only taking about 32 hit points of damage total ) when Cuthbert shows up. Believe me, I am more upset than Iuz is, when Cuthbert shows up. Is there any way to "legally" ( using no mods, just the 2.0 patch from Atari ) to kill Iuz before Cuthbert shows up ??

For the record here is the party I am using at the moment
    9th Lvl 1/2 Orc Fighter: Specialized with Greatsword
    9th Lvl Human Cleric of Heironeous ( War and Good Domains )
    9th Lvl human Cleric of Heironeous ( War and Law Domains )
    9th Lvl Elf Wizard ( Primary School : Evocation )
    3rd/6th Lvl Elf Rogue / Wizard ( Primary School: Evocation )
    Elmo ( 9th Lvl Ranger )
    Meleny ( 9th Lvl Druid )

The Half-Orc fighter has +6 Gloves of strength ( bringing his strength to 26 ) and
    the Frostbrand Greatsword which has had Holy, Axiomatic, Shock, and Mighty Cleaving crafted onto it.
    The Clerics both have +3 Longswords with Holy, Axiomatic, Shock, Frost, and Mighty Cleaving added. They also have +6 Gloves of Strength
    Elmo has the Flametongue Longsword that has been crafted to +3, Holy, Axiomatic, Frost, Shock and Mighty Cleaving. Elmo also has +6 Gloves of Strength.

My tactics are as follows:
    I start by clearing out everything on level 4 except where Hedrack is. I return "Home" to rest, heal, relearn spells , and do any Armor / Item crafting.
    Before leaving "home", have the wizard scribe 5 scrolls of Stoneskin.
    I Go down the long hall until I reach the end of the brown stripes. This will reveal Hedrack, but won't cause him to do anything.
    I then have the wizard cast 2 Stoneskin spells on each Cleric, the Fighter, and Elmo.
    I then have Meleny cast a Barkskin on each Cleric, the Fighter, and Elmo.
    Each of the "Fighting Four" then drinks a Potion of Bulls Strength, and the Clerics cast Shield of Faith on themselves ( I just realized they can cast it on others too ).
    The Wizard moves slightly out front and zaps the 2 Gargoyles and Hedrack with a Cone of Cold to start things moving. For the next several rounds / minutes I keep my troops in the hallway and pick off the Bugbears, Ettins, and Hill Giant that charge at me. Once I have eliminated everyone else I go after Hedrack, making sure I don't kill him until after he calls for Iuz. At this point I use whatever Potions of Heroism, etc... I can and have the Fighting Four duke it out with Iuz, while the Wizards take out Hedrack with multiple fireballs. After Hedrack is downed, the Wizards start peppering Iuz with Magic Missles ( usually anywhere from 1 to 3 of the 9th level wizards MMs get through ). As I said, I can usually inflict more than 250 HP of damage on Iuz before Cuthbert shows up. Is there any way to finish the job before Cuthbert shows up, or is there a way to keep Cuthbert from showing up in the first place ??

Thanks
    P

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I have found that if you have a giant or ettin under the infulence of suggestion when Cuthbert shows up, Cuthbert doesn't speak. He just stands there, letting you whup Iuz's ass. Once Iuz is dead you can then whup Cuthbert's ass if you so choose.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Iuz is only vulnerable to cold and holy damage, have your crafter make +3 holy, frost or icey burst weapons for your fighter types, your wizard should cast cone of cold and sleet storm (preferably empowered or maximized) and your cleric cast holy smite at him as many times as possable before close quater combat.

4. Hochvater

Hochvater Member

interesting...does anybody know what items Iuz and Cuthbert leave behind?

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Cuthbert leaves his boots, I know that much, and some shiny plate which he can't wait to get out of.

6. The Royal Canadian

Hi Allyx and Cerulean
    Thanks for the advice, it worked !! In answer to the later questions, Iuz leaves behind a regular robe ( ?? ) and a pair of regular boots if I remember correctly.
    Peregrine

7. Orinsul Allast

Orinsul Allast Member

i think this maybe be a bug, But on my Computer Cuthburt NEVER turns up, giving me lots of time to get rid of iuz, or be gotten rid of as the case generally is. But if you can work out what does that an force it or something maybe itll work that way oi?

8. Lorax

Lorax Member

Managed to kill Iuz once. He dropped normal boots and a normal robe. Never killed Cuthbert; I hadn't considered trying actually. After the boots and robe, I stopped bothering to kill Iuz (and it's probably why I didn't bother with Cuthbert). The fight was fun, but it's completely anti-climatic when you loot. Surely Iuz deserves a higher treasure rating than normal boots and robe! Any chance this can be upgraded to something a little more in tune with his DC? I understand he probably wasn't "supposed" to be defeated by the party when the original game came out; but given that he obviously is getting defeated by the party at times, and given the exceptional and extensive work of Co8 and the other mods, surely someone thinks a little addition to Iuz's treasure would be in order.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I think its funny and kinda good that the gods don't have any good gear to loot, its you come uppance for killing them.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There is an end scene that takes into account you killing him for memory, so it was anticipated if only by some of the developers.

But then he does make it clear to Hedrack he is unimpressed at being summoned so suddenly, so presumably he had no time to grab good gear, just threw on a robe.

St Cuthbert has been known to turn up so suddenly he is nekked, but that is a whole other story... ;)

11. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

^ I'd consider that a greater reward! I always inlcude a cleric of St. C, and for him to see the true "Godhead" of St. Cuthbert should turn my cleric into a real biblebelt televangelist.

"People, I have seen the *light*!" :D

12. Lorax

Lorax Member

He started it. :point:

Maybe Cuthbert could offer some sort of reward for the party banishing his rival..?

13. The Royal Canadian

Hi
    I think I know why Iuz and Cuthbert show up when they do, and dressed the way they are. Iuz was obviously in the shower when Hedrack called, and simply grabbed the closest bathrobe and went to see what Hedrack's problem was. The reason why Cuthbert shows up later is ( yes, he was in the shower too, just not the same one as Iuz ;-) ), is because Cuthbert took the time to put on his armor and polish his mace.
    Peregrine

14. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

Oh *BEHAVE*! :dribble:

15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Hey the time he showed up wearing nothing but boots and gloves and only wielding his cudgel was a bit of a shock, I think he'd just been in the snake pit. :blowme: :pelvicthr

Our Host!