Co8 4.0 patch and trymedia version of ToEE

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by pierre_o, Nov 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. pierre_o

pierre_o serial installer

Hello, first many thanks for unleashing the true potential of ToEE (I hope this does not sounds too much like a MS add, well, good job), now my turn to try and entertain you with my poor choices and weird configuration.
    I run Win 2003 standard (whith all pre-SP1 patches) on a Soltek barebone (P4 2.4Ghz, 512 Mo, NVidia FX 5200), I could not wait for ToE CDs to fly to Europe so I DLed it from trymedia and could have it to run with almost no ctd.
    Since I could not apply official patches thanks to trymedia protection system I had to wait for a patched trymedia version, I lost interest to the game but finaly last summer I found an email saying I could dl a patch 2 version of the game. I dled it, took apeek at this forum and dled latest patch 3 + Livonia's mod and got it to work without problem, I added ToFEE later but never used it whit multi-mod on.
    I rejoiced much when the 4.0 vesion of Co6 patch was released but I could not have it to work, here is what I did :
    • uninstalled everything tooEE related
    • installed Toee trymedia version dated 16/06/2004 including official patch 2, installation path was C:\Program Files\Atari-Infogrames\Temple of Elemental Evil\ (default proposed)
    • ran it, fine, well as fine as it can be without any Co8 patch, I did not bother start any game but I went through intro to the main menu
    • applied Co8 4.0 patch whith all options (full installation)
    • ran the game with ToFEE selecting Co8 mod, it crashed while loading at "Initializing sector data" phase.

I ran tofee again, selected ToEE module, ctd at the same moment I uninstalled Co8 patch and ran ToEE directly, I could go to the main menu, I uninstalled ToEE, reinstalled it, ran it (ok), installed Co8 4.0 patch without ToFEE, applied the various manual patches, ran the game again, same ctd.

I found Allyx had the same problem in this thread while working on a previous patch I guess but had no solution.

Later someone else raise the problem in this thread no solution other than bug-clearing the patch.

Since I could run the latest 3.xx Co8 patch, has anyone a clue why it does not work anymore with patch 4.0 ?

Thanks for your patience.

P.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

That post is almost 9 monthes old and has nothing at all to do with co8 4.0.0.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Clearing sector data...CTD crash. Try these things.
    1. Uninstall MODS. Uninstall ToEE. Delete what's left in the ToEE parent folder. [w/ reboot]
    2. Update the motherboard Windows drivers from its manufacturer website. [w/ reboot]
    3. Update the audio/sound Windows drivers from its manufacturer website. [w/ reboot]
    4. Update the video Windows drivers from its manufacturer website. [w/ reboot]
    5. Update DirectX to the version DirectX 9c from Microsoft. [w/ reboot]
    6. Empty the Windows\Temp folder. [w/ reboot]
    7. Install ToEE. [w/ reboot]
    8. Install Atari Patch1 and Atari Patch2 and Co8 4 MOD. [w/ reboot]
    :)

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

:imwithstu except skip numbers 2-6 and hope for the best :thumbsup:

5. pierre_o

Thanks for the answers guys :)

Sure, I quoted you just to show I did some research before asking and because sometimes same effects having common causes, maybe you could know what caused the ctd and explain my problem.

Initializing is the word I get instead of Clearing, not sure it makes a difference anyway

I'll try again a full uninstall/reinstall w/ reboot and check all my drivers but all of them are updated exepted for the video card as it happens that the latests make my monitor turn black then displays image again from time to times and once in a while make the computer reboot without any warning. Direct X 9c is installed too.

Patch 1 and 2 are not an option for me because of the trymedia version that is already patched with official patch #2, I tried to patch it anyway (with patch 2) but the patch does not want to install (can't find ToEE_ANY or something like this).

These 2 points seem quite reasonable to me, do you think they are unnecessary ?

Again I had everything to run (latest Co8 V3 patch, Liv's mod, Tofee) before uninstalling and reinstalling patch 4, probably there is a conjunction of problems that could explain the ctd (trymedia, win 2003 and non-certified drivers, barebone computer not made for running 2003 and new version of the Co8 patch) I am looking for a clue that could lead me to highlight the most critical problem and a find solution if any exists.

More info when I have time to run a clean install again.

Thanks for your patience

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

fyi - I suggested these things, items 2 through 6, because if your computer Windows drivers are not right, the game does not run right.

7. pierre_o

ok I had DX 9b installed, me stupid, works fine now, thanks for your patience :errf:

Our Host!