NPC's keep attacking me when I kick them out. What can I do about it?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Green Knight, Nov 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Green Knight

Green Knight Member

Hello, all. Just wondering if there's a solution to this? Namely, every time I kick an NPC out of the group, they turn around and attack me. Doesn't matter who, from Zarxis to Meleny to that Hill Giant (Although at least with him, the dialogue implied that he'd attack you if you threw him out). Why does that happen, and is there any way to avoid having to slaughter those NPC's just because I don't want to have them on the team anymore? Thanks.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Hmm.. party alignment? Uhm.. room spell damage?

Those are the only two reasons of which I am aware for that to take place.

3. Green Knight

Green Knight Member

Nope, nothing like that. Just standing around Hommlet, and one of my characters goes up to them and tells them it's time to go. From Elmo to Meleny, Zaxis, Serena, Riana, and so on. And EVERY TIME they turn around and attack me.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

So you are saying that you haven't once, in the whole time you have had them in your party, inadvertantly damaged them with some spell? No fireball with a miscalculated blast radius? No ice storm that you then sent them into to fight a foe? No friendly fire damage whatsoever?

Hmm. Maybe they just think you're an @$$hole.:p

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

"Charming... to the last"

You know, if we set all the NPC followers (or at least the more appropriate ones)to always end_combat with their shitlist cleared, I reckon we would both fix this AND allow u to knock 'em out when charmed (so they woke up uncharmed), two serious birds with one stone.

Of course if they were not recruited you would have some weird moments (you could beat Elmo unconscious, nick his magic gear and he wouldn't resent it when he woke up) - does the 'former follower' flag mentioned in ToEEWB work? Anyone?

6. Green Knight

Green Knight Member

You're kidding. So if I accidentally charbroil them with an inadvertant fireball THREE MONTHS AGO in game time ... despite the amount of healing I've put on them since then, the magic items, as well as all the gold and platinum they've collected since then, the moment they're cut loose they try getting payback for the mistaken fireball? Crazy. I tried cutting Meleny loose this afternoon, and after saying she'll wait for me and all that, she then turns around and tried to stab the Dwarf.

And of course, Elmo then came stumbling along and caught the show, and immediately jumped in as well.

Granted. But that's no excuse for their murderous responses. :p

Oh well. With that mod that allows more PC's, I can pretty much avoid using NPC's. I'll get a 7-PC party and save the last slot for NPC's that are pretty important or infinitely useful, like Paida, the Hill Giant, and Prince Thrommel (Who I accidentally butchered last night without realizing it. How was I supposed to know that that Vampire was Chaotic Good?!? :suprised: ).

And another question. This one about Detect Evil.

Does this power work right for anyone else? Because I've got a Paladin who uses it all the time and I have NEVER seen it have any effect. Even with people who I KNOW are evil (Like Taruko the Monk, who I found out was evil through conversation. Nevermind Lareth and half the populace of Nulb). But Detect Evil, itself? I've used it several times and have NEVER EVER seen ANYONE light up because they were evil, or seen any other discernable effect. What, do they all have a perpetual Undetectable Alignment spell cast on them? *sigh*

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You are supposed to know because this is based on T1-4, The Temple of Elemental Evil...NOT anything that was released subsequent to that, like "Return to..."

And I don't think anybody was kidding...:poke:

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think Detect Evil has been broken from the get-go, and if I'm not mistaken it's another hard-coded thing. Not much we can do about it.

Bear in mind, Green Knight, that this game is fundamentally flawed in many ways. Co8's involvement has only made it less flawed, not flawless.

9. Green Knight

Green Knight Member

Considering I never played the Temple of Elemental Evil module or its sequels...

Ah. Well, at least it's not just me. ;)

10. Lord_Spike

Then why would you think he's a vampire? :dizzy:

11. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

You know, there really is such a thing as reading up on the source material. I can see how anyone could get it into their mind that Thrommel is a vampire, what with a few NPCs telling you that he needed rescuing and all. :roll:

12. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Because we changed it so that before you talk to him if you hover the pointer over him it says "Vampire".

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Also and prior to the Co8 4 MOD, if you have a party that does NOT include Elmo and but DOES include Riana and Serena, one of the two sisters says something to the extent of "Leave the vampire alone" when you open the secret door to the room with Prince Thrommel enchanted and in a deep slumber.

14. Lord_Spike

Erm, well I see now how this happened...I'm the crazy one! I suppose the fact that the pointer says"Vampire" ought to be clue enough that something's not right...after all, you shouldn't be able to tell by merely looking. Can a fix be modded to have him lying prone until some interaction occurs, then change his desription? He's supposed to be in stasis when encountered, too.

15. Green Knight

Green Knight Member

... Cause when my Rogue snuck into the room he was in with her Ring of Invisibility and I moused over him, it said "VAMPIRE". I didn't know he was Chaotic Good until after I'd dusted him, nicked his stuff, and checked my logbook.

Yeah, how in the world could one get it into their head that the guy was a vampire when you mouse over him and the word "VAMPIRE" appears?

Incidentally, NO NPC has EVER told me ANYTHING about Thrommel. I ran into him because of Rentz and Wat at Nulb, who each told me to go to the tower behind the Temple. I did so, it led to the 3rd level, and I cleared that level out (I'd done the first level, before, but since I had to start over with Co8 4.0.0, I didn't feel like doing over the 1st level again. So I figured I'd try something different and follow-up on the tips I got from the folks from Nulb). Hell, the only reason I know anything about him at all is because I heard about him here. And it wasn't because of a lack of talking to every NPC in sight, which I've pretty much done. Just that some NPC's led me to the 3rd-level, first. So are the NPC's that tell you Thrommel's story on the 2nd-level?

Our Host!