Prince Thrommel

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Hochvater, Nov 5, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hochvater

Hochvater Member

Does anybody around here know how to score with both Fragarach and Scather??? 1st I tried to kill the prince, but after looting his corpse, and resurrecting him, the battle started again, thus I couldn't even talk to him. 2nd I accepted him in my party and had some battles, where he died because I removed his armour and Fragarach, but when i resurrected him, he wasn't in my party anymore, and if I talked to him I couldn't ask him more than about his wedding or about living my party (I repeat, he didn't moved along with my party, he wasn't seen in my party he just stood still) 3rd I tried to get him in an unconsciousness state, but he was considered still alive, and thus I still couldn't get Fragarach!!!

2. Orrin Oakenshield

Orrin Oakenshield Member

Well,
    The first time I was interested in that glowing blue bastard sword, I picked a fight with some ogres & sent the gallant prince into the fray solo. He did pretty well for himself, but the ogre shaman finally put the big bash on him. I picked up the sword, resurrected the dude, gave him Meleny's rusty dagger, & got him out to go meet his doom, er... I mean bride.
    If after a few more runs this doesn't work for you, I would suggest, um, well, using the humble NPC patch, or maybe even installing the new Co8 4.0.0 mod pack. ( Which includes the humble NPC patch.)
    Not that I am suggesting you 'cheat', exactly, but if you really want that sword...
    Of course you could trade him something worth a darn for it...

WARNING! It has been ducumented on these boards by many, including this Ol' Dwarf, that using Fragarath or Scather in certain battles and areas will cause a major glitch! The only solution that was suggested was return to a previous save & do not use those swords for that battle or in that area.

It is a game of the unexpected & discovering the unknown, right?

This Ol' Dwarf just discovered an 'Unknown' swimming in his mug...sheash!

3. Hochvater

Hochvater Member

Did you read this part : "but when i resurrected him, he wasn't in my party anymore, and if I talked to him I couldn't ask him more than about his wedding or about living my party (I repeat, he didn't moved along with my party, he wasn't seen in my party he just stood still)"?

4. Moosehead

Moosehead Rubber nipple

well, every time i've resurrected him and he was in my party, he was still in my party after the fact as well. i've never had any problems with it. try getting a monster to kill him while he is in your party instead of doing it yourself. if that doesn't work, try reloading from an earlier save game and find him again.
    and if that doesn't work either, i guess try starting a new game.

5. Hochvater

Hochvater Member

thanks, it worked , but who knows why if I have Scather & Fragarach during some battles errors might occur? Does somebody know how to fix them...hm...sounds like something that might be repaired in the co8 4.0.1 mod... :)

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Ha ha, not likely the problem is caused by an infinite loop (of sorts), Fragarach and Scather give the wielder (if chaotic good) infinite Attacks of Oppertunity EVERY time the wielder takes damage, some creatures CAUSE damage when you attack THEM, so in game terms -

1. creature hit's you.
    2. you get a free AoO.
    3. the AoO causes YOU to take damage before you actually perform the AoO.
    4. having taken damage again you SHOULD get a second AoO, but as you haven't had the first one yet, the game locks up and no-one can do anything.

And the fragarach ability is hard coded, which means very few people here can do anything about it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Here's a suggestion. I'm sure some people, especially D&D purists will call not fair, nay and boo, to my suggestion. Nonetheless, here is my suggestion.

1. Make replacement greatsword weapons for both Fragarach and Scather. Spell the names similarly, but different from the original names, something like Fragerach and Scathar.

2. If required, also make a replacement NPC for Prince Thrommel, too. Spell the name similarly, but different from the original name, something like Prince Thrommal.

* Do NOT give either replacement swords the AoO attribute. Maybe you can do something like give them a decreased combat initiative of -20 AND give them +20 insight spell ThAC0 when the wielder is hit in combat.

What do the MODders who make changes think ('cause they are the ones who can either change it or cannot change it)?

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

It is poassible to give a weapon an insane to hit bonus, and a damage bonus that is different to the to hit bonus, but it should also have the magical bonus the item description implies for damage reduction VS magic.

the infinite AoO ability might be possable to script? Maybe in the san_wield_on/off?

9. Hochvater

Hochvater Member

and how can I do those changes?

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

That was simply just the discussion of an idea [this is what happens and is done here] and to get feedback from one or more modders as a discussion of an idea, nothing beyond or more than that. If someone, one of the modders here, will take ownership to MOD a change, it would be up to a modder, theirself, to want to work on making a change. Will someone make a change? Only time will tell if a modder will volunteer to MOD a change. All I can suggest is wait and see.

If you do not know how to MOD and you really want to learn, you will have to be dedicated - search and read the forums here. If you are not a programmer, it could take literal months of studious reading and trial-and-error, following examples and trying more examples, more reading and more trial-and-error - possibly, over a long period of time.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
Our Host!