Getting co8 4.0.0 to work?!?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ath'caelas, Nov 4, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ath'caelas

Ath'caelas Member

Ok, not wanting to break any possible forum rules, let me just say that'd I've used a *cough* suggested downloadable file *cough* to get my game to work after dealing with the "please insert play disc" error.

Anyway, now my game works again, and I have Troika's patches 1 and 2 installed and activated. Yea. Anyway, after a variety of tries (including disabling Norton's during install), and and downloading all suggested programs and files, I can't get the co8 4.0.0 mod to work, and sweet fancy Moses, am I tired of fighting this game.

After installing the mod, I click on the new TOEEFE icon, and it says...

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)- Click ok to termintate the application"

...everytime I install it.

ARGH. Hey Morpheus, I pm'd you on this too, since you've been cool enough to help me eariler, I'm just trying to expidite my turnaround time here if someone else knows what the H i'm doing wrong.

Please help the village idiot!

Ath'

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  2. Gawain

Gawain Member

Just a thought, but, Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 is required for the ToEE Front-End. You have this installed?

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

You need the .NET Framework v1.1 to run a ToEEFE version of Co8 4.0.0 mod (it's explicitly stated in the installation instructions). The error you are getting means that you don't have .NET installed, or you have a lower version of .NET than needed (at least v1.1 is needed).

You can optionally choose not to use ToEEFE, and then you won't need .NET, but then things will get more complicated when you'll want to use different options and tweaks that are available in the mod (you'll need to install different options and uninstall them by hand, and also it'll be more difficult to apply different portrait packs when they're out), and also you'll lose the ability to use multiple modules on a single installation.

So, my advice would be to download and install .NET 1.1, and then install Co8 4.0.0 with ToEEFE, unless of course you have some strange, non-understandable hate towards everything .NET-related as some guys here do (in which case you'll want to install Co8 4.0.0 without ToEEFE)

- Agetian

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

To install the non-Toffee version of Co8 4.0.0 MOD, follow these instructions.

You need to have ToEE installed, obviously.
    Install the Atari ToEE patches Patch1 and Patch2. (It is best to install both, not just Patch2.)
    Install the Co8 4.0.0 MOD. (Checkmark all boxes, except for the 1st box, uncheck Toffee.)
    * You can select all other checkbox options in all the dialogs, except for the Toffee option in the first dialog when doing a non-Toffee installation.
    Run Max HPs, Humble PCs, and PC Count EXE files, whichever you want, these are in the parent install path.
    Replace the ToEE.exe exexcutable with the no-cd fix.

It works great.
    :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  5. Ath'caelas

Ath'caelas Member

Thanks for replying all, and sorry I wasn't clearer in my text...

"Anyway, after a variety of tries (including disabling Norton's during install), and downloading all suggested programs and files"...

By "and downloading all suggested programs and files", I meant that I DID download the Microsoft Framework .Net that is stated in the downloading instructions. The first two tries I didn't (didn't see it *shrugs sheepishly*), and uninstalled. But then I download the .Net (I just couldn't remember what it was called, so I said "suggested downloads"), but I still got the SAME error message.

All the same, after blipping my S.O.S. across the ether of this forum, I delved back into my personal hell, and after sifting some more threads, saw that you don't need to run the FrontEnd versoin. I tried an unistall/reinstall and selecting this option off, and it worked. Huzzah!

I ended up at some new cart merchant for my gear, and I tried the Shift/~ give options, which worked also... HUZZAH! Oh, when I put my armor on though, the clothes I started with turned into a giant T in my inventory. When I tried "drop item" on it, my game crashed. ARGH!

So, now I've uninstalled/reinstalled again, selecting Front End off, and PC's start without clothes, and we'll see what happens. Decided to check the forum though before trying it out.

Now, thanks for letting me know that running without front end may cause problems with using tweaks and protraits, but in truth, I wouldn't know the first thing about using them anyway. All this started cuz I was INFINITELY DISGUSTED with the looting problem. I just want to run the game through. Hopefully I can at least do that now.

Overtime, once I've beaten the game and scoured more of threads here and at gamebanshee, I might become competent enough to play around with the tweaks/portraits/mods/thingamajigs that all you programming Einstein's have created. Right now though, it's so far over my head it'd be better if I ignored them. Frankly, I'm proud enough that I've made it this far (although it's taken a net total of near 25 hours to accomplish this much. My God, I've wasted that much time on a game....)

Anyway, in a bit, I'll try out this last reinstall, and if I can just get one single ray of sunshine to come my way, I will finally be able to just play, instead of spend hours reading about how much fun you've all had playing and creating stuff for the game.

Wish me luck,

Ath'

Our Host!