trouble with Jakko Barton

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by mattra, Oct 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. mattra

mattra Member

When I go to speak with him the only dialog that appears is the "so long..see ya later" blurb...without speaking to him I can heal his family member and get hm to convert etc...any ideas?

2. mattra

mattra Member

Is there a way to reset the dialog with an NPC? He will greet me and ask if there is anything he can do for me but my character always has only one dialog option which ends the conversation...

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Sounds like you have a corrupt dialog file. Try this one. Unzip it into your Temple of Elemental Evil/data/dlg folder, and click yes when it asks you if you want to replace the old one.

Edit: Attachment removed because it was the wrong file. Oops!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  4. Croix

Croix Member

Happened to me when I healed Bing without consulting Mr. Barton first. I was lucky I had saved shortly before doing this. :)

5. mattra

mattra Member

thanks a bunch...I will let you know if it doesnt work...

6. mattra

mattra Member

does that file reset the dialog for everyone in the house including Bing? because I still cant dialog with jacko

7. Cerulean the Blue

Sorry, I gave you the Tailors dialog file, not Jak Borton's. Try unzipping this one into ToEE/data/dlg and let me know what happens.

Btw, this does not reset the dialog. There is most likely and error in your current dialog file. This is just a working version of that file.

Attached Files:

8. mattra

mattra Member

no luck...could it be stumbling on bing? is there a bing reset?!

9. Cerulean the Blue

Let me get this straight. When you go and talk to Jakk Borton, the leatherworker, the only dialog option you get is the "Goodbye" (or some other words that basically mean the same thing) option? You can't ask to barter or anything else? Even with the file I provided unzipped into the ToEE/data/dlg folder? You did unzip it, didn't you? Forgive me for asking, but not everyone knows what we mean by that, or how to find a specific folder to put stuff in.

I could use some more information. What official patches and/or other mods do you have installed? Also, open the console and type "game.quests[11].state" without the quotes and then let me know what number you get.

There really is no way to "reset" dialogs. You can reset if a NPC has met your party, or reset quest states, and a few other things like reputations, but that is about it. Jakks dialog file has nothing to do with Bing, other than a check to one global flag that indicates whether or not he is cured, so it your problem shouldn't have anything to do with Bing. Even if you had botched the quest to heal Bing, Jakk should still let you barter with him. The fact that you can't makes me think that the dialog file is messed up, but it should work with the one I provided.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  10. mattra

mattra Member

I have Lyvs and Morphs updates plus the 2 official patches...

without thinking I walked into the leatherworkers and healed Bing...Then I thought that maybe i should talk to Terjon first so I left. Just then my kids came in and needed me so I saved and came back...ever since when I speak to Jakko he greets me and I can respond with so long...

11. Cerulean the Blue

Have you already accepted the quest to convert Jakk?

12. Da_Ediot

Da_Ediot Member

Sounds like something I did once. Try going to Terjon and talking to him and ask about converting people. See if that frees it up again. If that doesn't work you may have to go back to a previous save. I can't remember how I got past it but I think it was one of those 2 things.

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

sad to say,I had a similar problem with Mona and the Orb quest - I got the orb but couldn't give it to her, there was just no option to say "here it is take it" all I could say was "see ya later" I never fixed the problem either and ended starting a new game, this time bring more careful bout in what order I did things in...

if its just a hommlet quest I'm assuming you havn't played to far through the game yet, so maybe it might be easier to just start a new one (save hours of pain trying to fix the problem when hours of game play will get you back to the same point)

14. mattra

mattra Member

I dont know...I wanted to go through the game without using any item creation feats this time. However having the druid was going to be an important piece of the puzzle...maybe i should start over...although my characters are all 5th level already.

Our Host!