Problem: Cleric can't cast

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zanziber, Sep 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Do fallen clerics really need turning removed? If so, I'm not sure, but couldn't it be done by scripting without modifying CHA, for example,
    - reducing the available uses of ability in someway after each rest (script-casting all at once if it can't be modified in an easier way)
    - or (better) making them fail/fizzle upon use, just like the spells,
    - or give to targets some huge bonuses to saves, so they would always make the save.

Yes, this would make sense, IF those peeps would know that said cleric has fallen out of favour.
    That sounds like lotsa scripting/writting for a rarely used feature though.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Hey Drifter, I am totally in favor of some other way of implementing the falllen clerics. I don't even really see the need to have it possible for clerics to fall, but I'm trying to be helpful to those who do see the need. The turn/rebuke undead ablility seems to be hard coded. I haven't been able to find any scripting method to reduce the number/day or make a PC or NPC use this ability. It may be that there is some global variable that controls this, but it would take a master .dll hacker to figure this out.

Another solution would be just to change the cleric levels to something else, say fighter, but two levels lower than the original cleric levels. This however also seems not possible.

3. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Same here :p
    Although I really like the idea of cleric failing his spell if he doesn't act up to his deity's standards. It's cool, eventhough requires lots of work to implement, not only the casting solution, but all the situations that would affect the variable (the more of such situations the better). I even thought about having a variable chance to fail the spell too, similar to arcane/armor thing - the more you act unappropriate, the bigger the chance you'll fail the spell. Lets say you start at 0, and each bad action increases % by 5-10-20-w/e, each good reduces by same amount. Now that would be some roleplaying.

Um, but the turning has it's script file or hasn't it? Like a spell, where it is defined what it actually does.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

If turning has a script file I haven't been able to find it. I've been through all the .dats and nada.

Our Host!