Can I re-choose my spell?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Milamber, Sep 20, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Milamber

Milamber Member

Hi All,

I accidentally picked the wrong spell and didn't notice for some time. Consequently my sorcerer, whom I've given both Evocation feats and Empower Spell has Displacement instead of Fireball.

Argh...I've downloaded a few character editors but they don't seem to allow spell changes. Anyone have any ideas?

And yes...I have saved over all my previous games.

I feel like Napoleon Dynamite here...augh - Idiot!

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Sorry to have to tell you this, but you're stuck with it. That's the sucky part of sorcerers.

3. Milamber

Milamber Member

Ahh well...I'm only at level 6. There's still time to get Fireball I guess :evil_laug

Thanks for the reply!

4. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

In the meantime, since you're really "due" some fireballs, you could spawn a wand of balls and only use it the number of times per day you're supposed to be casting level 3 spells. Then don't use you're level 3 spells. That should hold you until you can learn another 3rd level.

Alternatively, you could do the ol' "take his gear, remove him from the party, have his level 1 version rejoin, then use the console to level him back to where he should be and give him back his stuff" thing.

5. Milamber

Milamber Member

Hmm...now your second suggestion I like there, Lord Plothos. Could you please post a link to a console command page? I don't know how to use them.

6. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

7. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

The console commands are in a stickied thread at the top of this forum.

8. Da_Ediot

Da_Ediot Member

You can try this.

Using a hex editor... do a search for this set of hex values... 8600000090000000 in your.tfaf file.
    This should take you right to the spell. 86000000 is the value for the spell Displacement (found in your spell_enum.mes). 90000000 is the value for sorcerer spells. you should see other 90000000 values near it to confirm you have found the correct section.
    Change the value of 86000000 to AB000000, which is the value for fireball.

I have not tested this myself to see if it works but it should change the spell.
    Let me know if it works.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

and don't forget to back up you file before to edit it just incase it doesn't work.
    you can find a hex editor at http://www.ultraedit.com/

10. Milamber

Milamber Member

Thanks All. I have my character restored to what I originally wanted. I actually screwed up my monk/druid's alignment. For some reason I had good/neutral which doesn't work for the multiclas but I was able to change it to neutral/lawful. Woohoo! Go wisdom AC bonus!

Our Host!