Trouble with fallen paladin

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shadowrunner, Sep 5, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Undead Chosen One

I have a lawful-good team (IWD-style, you know - with 8 PC) with paladin inside. He was fallen first time when win the beer-drinking competence at Hommlet. I redemptedhim him in St. Cuthbert Church (there is no other possibility in this game for such a thing, wright?) for a price about 1000gp. Now my party join-up to Earth Temple and my paladin is fallen again. But now i can't do nothing with this - because when he speak with Terjon - there is none redemption dialogue option - he only said he wish to refermed himself, then Terjon answer: that is posible - for a price ( :blahblah: ) - and finaly paladin tell, that he prefer to remain fallen. I don't need another warrior in party (and fallen paladin is an another warior), and i can't redemted him and i don't know wha to do. So I have a question - is this a some kind of bug, or it is "only" a D&D rules?? I have instaled Ted's mod - with all other's mod posible earlier (like Co8 mod, Livmod and so on) - also change some things in proto.tab with Proto Editor - but I don't think this is involved. My party have all possible do-goodders reputations (like prisoner releaser). Is there anybody, who can resolve my problem?? I apologize for my terrible english... :help:

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, did you have the money to pay? If not, you won't get the dialogue option perhaps.

Also: there is no dlg option for Paladins over lvl 10.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  3. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

You can do this:
    1. Take all the paladin's gear from him and give it to other PCs or put it in a chest.
    2. Check his experience and write it down, then go to the inn and remove the paladin from the party.
    3. Add the paladin again (he'll come in his starting form at 1st level).
    4. Use the console to reset his xp to where it was and level him back up to where he should be.
    5. Return his gear.

To do this last step, if you don't know:
    1. Bring up the console by holding shift and pressing ~ (on a standard keyboard).
    2. type this in the command line:
    game.party[X].stat_base_set(stat_experience,Y)

Only make X = the number of the paladin's spot in your lineup -1. That is, if he's first, make X=0. If he's second, X=1. Etc. Make Y equal his xp level before you removed him (the number you wrote down earlier). Level him up to where he was and make all the same decisions and he'll be the same as before.

(If he remains fallen or falls again, you'll have to change your party reputation so that you're no longer a member of any temple. We can tell you how to do that too. Just don't do any more quests in the temple. Kill bad guys; don't work with them. Paladins make poor undercover cops. :))

4. Shadowrunner

Well, tnx Ted - I think this is it - because I have enough money - more than 16000gp, but my paladin is on 15 level - I have no idea, that level and dialogues have something in common. And tnx to you Lord, too - it is a quite good idea - but there is another problem. With my 8 PC team - create by using PCCount Patcher - some kind of critical error occured. When I try to activate any guestbook in Inn (both Hommlet or Nulb) game shout-down into Windows. Temple.dll modification must be involved (PCC P do this) - because when I plyed last time, with normal-size team (or even small-size team - like 3 PC and 5 NPC) - this "guestbook" Player Character Menager works in the wright way. Well - it could be the price I pay for playing 8 PC do-gooders party... :) Once again, tnx folks!

5. Shadowrunner

Ohh - and Ted - one more thing. Is there any posibility to create those "over 10level paladin dlg options" - for redemption especially? Where dlg are? Simple *.tab files modification with protoeditor should help? Or some "deeper operiation" is needed - with some kind of hex editor??

6. offtheboat

offtheboat Member

If you installed the patch/mod that gives you more than 5 PCs, it will corrupt the party pool function from the Inn book unfortunately. The only way to resolve this is to re-install ToEE completely from scratch I believe.

The .dlg files are all located in the data/dlg folder and they are text files so you can edit them with Notepad. I'm looking through the dialogue now and it looks very doable. All you need to do is to add lines like below that would work with == 11, == 12, ==13 and etc for each level. BUT, that also involves changing the line #s for other dialogue options if the game reads .dlg files from top down.... is there a utility that allows you to add additonal dialogue or can this only be accomplished manually?

{Line#}{Game Text}{}{PC Intelligence}{If level of Paladin equals == #}{Then go to this Line#}{}

{1007}{What is the price?}{}{8}{pc.stat_level_get(stat_level_paladin) == 9}{1100}{}
    {1008}{What be da price?}{}{-7}{pc.stat_level_get(stat_level_paladin) == 9}{1100}{}
    {1009}{What is the price?}{}{8}{pc.stat_level_get(stat_level_paladin) == 10}{1110}{}
    {1010}{What be da price?}{}{-7}{pc.stat_level_get(stat_level_paladin) == 10}{1110}{}

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Yeah. You need to be a Ranger for that sort of thing...

:cool:

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thankyou Thorongil :p

Level 15? Crikey... the game is just not built to go to that level! O well.

An addendum to what offtheboat said, just pop 00023Terjon.dlg in the data/dlg folder, and change line 991 from
    to
    This will get you redemption for the bargain basement price of 1000gp :)

Then get Cujo to make you a hair shirt to wear for penance.

And if you wish to learn more about dlg file modding, i have a tutorial at my blog:

http://rpg-rant.blogspot.com/2005/08/writing-dialogue-for-toee-part-1.html

9. Shadowrunner

Well, you all help me much - trouble is resolve now - thanks again...

The quest of Chosen One is end now...

Farawell

:rock:

10. Wyrm Pilot

Wyrm Pilot Wyvern Rider

I don't have a utility for you, but I can offer you a workaround.
    1) Open the file in a text editor that allows you to input the tab character in the Replace function (I use UltraEdit for this).
    2) Replace "}{" with the Tab character throughout the file.
    3) Copy the file, and paste into Excel or similar spreadsheet util.
    4) Insert the extra lines you need, and renumber using spreadsheet formulas. If you're a serious ubergeek, write a macro to do this.
    5) Copy the resulting data back into the original file.
    6) Replace the Tab character with "}{" throughout the file.
    Done!

Side note: If you do a lot of text/hex editing, but don't have UltraEdit, get it (I don't know how much it costs, I have a "borrowed" copy - but get it somehow). It has massive functionality for editing raw text files, including distinguishing between DOS and Unix end-of--line/return characters, and it's a hex editor as well.

Our Host!