Random Encounters & Lotus

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by PharaunMizzrym, Aug 14, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Liv said that she was trying to add a random element to the game with her mod. She said she wanted to make each time through a little different. That's why I'm only going to improve the chance of finding the Lotus, not make it a sure thing.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Excellent Bluey, not to easy not to hard.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Okay, so here it is. This should make the Swamp Encounter more likely to occur, and not just between Homlett and the Moathouse, but only if the Cure Ami quest is active. However, it does not make that encounter a sure thing. It may still never happen. Just point it at you ToEE\data folder and unzip. It is compatable with ShingingTed's mod.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Hmm, swamp lotus? Put a lotus in the existing chest that is already in the moathouse tower near the drawbridge. You know, inside of the moathouse tower where the bandits placed a chest and they know the spider that lives in the tower will keep people away from it? If lotus is rare in the game, the bandits could have confiscated and hid the last of the lotus known to civilization. Now that makes sense. And, for a low level party to quest to cure amii and find the lotus, they have to kill 5 giant frogs, kill 1 spider, and (on the way out of the tower) survive being ambushed by the bandits in the courtyard. Overall, that makes the most sense [IMO].

5. Cerulean the Blue

Sure it makes sense. But I'm trying to stick as closely as possible to the spirit of the original mod and modder. I firmly believe that Liv intended this quest to be completable randomly, i.e. not in every game. I have increased the odds of it being completable, but I don't think she would have wanted it to be a sure thing. Actually, I doubt if she would have made the changes I did, but people seemed to be pretty upset that they weren't getting the option to complete it, so I made the change.

Of course, if you had read the whole thread, you would have known all this.

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I read somewhere about, originally, Amii is not supposed to be able to be cured at all and is intentionally supposed to die bla-bla-bla something about the intense beliefs of the old faith verses the church of st cuthbert. Has anyone who has quested the Cure Amii quest stolen the Heal scroll from the 2nd floor of the st cuthbert church and had their Cleric cast the Heal spell from the scroll on Amii? (like in the Bing cure)

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yay Cerulean!! :drunk: :pelvicthr

8. Cerulean the Blue

The reason heal works with Bing is because when you cast it on him a flag is enabled that says he's cured. The similar flag for Amii is only enabled when you give the Swamp Lotus to Jaroo.

9. Shiningted

And Jaroo specifically says a heal spell won't do it.

I have rambled back and forth to the moathouse several dozen times, only had two random encounters (far less than normal i would say). Both were in the swamp :) - so thats what it looks like! - but still didn't see any flower there in the top corner :( (or anywhere else).

Will keep trying.

10. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

A++ for your time and effort. I'll more then likely end up consoling in the lotus anyways. The "Random" chance of failing still doesn't make sense to me. Letting a kid die, even in a game, well isn't fun, or funny. I guess I'm a prude. :ninja:

If that is/was the case then it really should be explained in the game somehow. As it stands, it is not. Even when you fail, you get no explaination from Jaroo what happened or whatever. (I never revisited the woodcutter to see if he says anything)

11. Cerulean the Blue

The lotus should spawn at (499,459), which iirc is about the middle of the left side of the map. If it's not there, check global flags 855 and 875. They should be 1 and 0 respectively.

12. Shiningted

Left side???? Sincerely i thought every man and his dog said it was the top right corner!! :scratchhe

O well back to the swamp... no, I don't mean Melbourne :mrhappy:

13. Cerulean the Blue

This is so embarassing. Okay, the first patch was broken. I've fixed it now. Please redownload. I'm still having trouble getting the right types of enemies to spawn when my fix gives you the swanp encounter. Also, I'v enabled some random encounter maps that I had never seen before.

Can anybody tell me how to view and remove the previous patch from the FTP.

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

if its that zip file you posted earlyer you want to remove, then go to User CP and then to attachments (its at the bottom)

15. Shiningted

Can we get some feedback here?

I installed the new version and kept trying, now I am getting these new maps, forest roads and such with monsters I have never seen in random encounters (such as stirges and spiders, but then I don't have any reason for off-road encounters normally). I loved it - if i never fight another damn combat in a river near the road I would be happy (How stupid was that?? Why r u wading in the river NEXT TO THE ROAD?)

But after many dozen trips and many encounters, still no swamp, & no lotus :(

I mean it could just be me :tired:

Our Host!