Any way to add feats?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Malagaar, Jul 13, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Malagaar

Malagaar Member

Forgive the silly question, but not all of the console commands make sense to me yet. Is there any way to add feats to a character using the console (ie..once the game has begun)? If so, how??

2. Malagaar

Malagaar Member

Am I to understand that there is absolutely no way to add extra feats to a character once the game has started?? :blink:

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Try to level up?

4. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Somewhere back in an old thread somebody listed the following as a command for the console:

game.party[X].feat_add(Y)

Make X the party member's number -1 (0 for your first guy, 1 for your second, etc.). Make Y the name of the feat. Try something simple first like dodge. Others might get more complex, and we can figure them out if dodge works.

It may not work however. There were many reported console commands that didn't actually work back then.

You could also try

game.party[X].stat_feat_add(Y)

or

game.party[X].stat_base_set(stat_feat,Y)

etc.

5. gregebowman

gregebowman Member

It's been over a month since the above post was typed. I was wondering if anyone knows if the above commands ever worked, because this is the first post I've seen that actually listed a possible feat added console command.

6. Lord Plothos

I think that I tried all of the ones I suggested, and got no love, I'm afraid. The one I got from someone else's post definitely didn't work, and I think I tried a bunch of permutations covering all I could think of. Didn't work.

That said, I think we've yet to hit on confirmation that there is no such code, because I didn't get any OK or other such reply that would indicate the failure of a code. What I mean is, if you try to use game.party[X].stat_base_set(stat_base_attack_bonus,Y), you get a return of a number or maybe an OK or something, but the stat doesn't change. This would seem to indicate the code you would use to change the stat doesn't work because the stat is fixed somehow and can't be changed from the console. I got no such responses to my attempts to change feats, however, which would seem to indicate the possibility that I just haven't stumbled on the proper code yet, rather than that the feats can't be changed from the console.

Hmmm, did that make sense?

7. KillerSonic

KillerSonic Established Member

I already posted it but: www.sorcerers.net has a tutorial about hex editing, that might help and there are a few character and savegame editors...

8. daetar

daetar Member

Interesting.... I will play with this when I get home from work tonight. Lord Plothos, what did you try to change other than BAB?

I seem to recall seeing the feat_add() function in one of the .py or .mes files somewhere. It may be possible to leverage that directly from the console but we'll need to find that specific file and identify all the arguments it was passing so we can copy the syntax.

My theory is that one of the following will prove true:
    1. The function is working but we don't understand the parameters
    2. The function works in the game mechanics, but needs a "helper" function in utilities.py to expose it to the console
    3. The function is working correctly, we are calling it correctly, something in the game is reverting our changes immediately after we submit them
    4. My ego is completely out of control and I only understand .01% of what I think I understand about this game

We'll see where doth the truth lay when I get home tonight. :transform

~daetar

9. Lord Plothos

I think movement was one thing I tried. Maybe saves as well.
    I'm guessing certain things are always calculable based on character level, race, equipment, etc., and these won't be changeable, because the game probably needs to be constantly adjusting them when other variables change. Move and saves would qualify, as would BAB. Feats, though, maybe not. Perhaps there's some hope there.

10. daetar

daetar Member

No love for me as far as the adding feats thing goes. I have discovered that game.party[X].feat_add and game.party[X].stat_feat_add do not exist in terms of console functions. I checked this by using a python function to iterate and print every available function for the game class as well as the game.party class and also a couple others. There is a console function of game.party[0].has_feat() which works though. It returns 1 if the character has the feat, and 0 otherwise, not terribly useful. I haven't given up on finding an in-game mechanism to do this yet, but I have committed to writing a new tool which will be taking up the majority of my "ToEE time" until it is completed. I'll post back to this thread when I have new information, but for the time being we're stuck editing the character and save files to change feats. :(

~daetar

Our Host!