Equipping Characters?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pelonius, Aug 15, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pelonius

Pelonius Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Elmo? Isn't he that retarded drunk? lol..."all I need is chainmail and a big axe!"

Yeah, I'm used to DnD games being more story driven, so I thought heading to the moathouse after telling the priest about the Countess was the logical next step. It didn't occur to me that I should find odd jobs in town.

One last note. I dont have a mage in my party heh...I designed it after a group I used to play with years ago in PnP. Two warriors, a ranger, a cleric, and a thief (who I might multiclass to mage in two lvls). We seemed to do alright in the real game hehe.

2. offtheboat

offtheboat Member

A mage would make life easier but I don't find them wholly necessary... yet heh. You will need them to make some magical weapons and armor though (??) bur I guess you can always hire that mage NPC at the Hommlet inn. The jobs around town should give you enough XP to get to level 2. I did them all the very first time just to hear their stories. I then went over to the Grove (to finish the woodcutter's quest) and rested there over and over to get encounters and get to level 3. From then on I proceed to the Meadows and then on to wipe out moathouse. The additonal levels will definitely help there.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

the first few times playing the game I never used mages, but if I needed some magic I just hired one from Hommlet, my Cleric did all the crafting, I just wanted fireballs for the trolls in the temple, my swords did the rest.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Re: Elmo

He's not a drunk, or a retard; he is only acting that way to win the trust of newcomers and spy on them. He is an agent of the Viscount of Verbobonc, and a 4th level Ranger. There are many secrets kept by the villagers of Hommlet and Nulb...and it's up to you to find them out!

5. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

I suggest taking wizards because a mixed party of Arcane and Divine casters is the easiest for me, but an all melee party will do fine once you get the strategy down; you can go to the Moat House at first level and do fine no matter what kind of party you're playing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!

I spent all day yesterday altering starting locations for the vignette maps and making a new trader with (get this) 198 mundane Item's for sale, I try to start a new game to test CTD wouldn't you believe it!

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Save often, test often.

8. Allyx

Hey it's all done, built from Shiningted's mod but can be used from any patch setup after co8 3.0.4. (at least I don't think it will cause any problems with other patches) as long as this is added last.

Get version 1 here...

Just open the zip, and copy the files into your ToEE directory.
    And clean the map cache.

I didn't include a read.me so i'll post it here.

* Changed start locations on a few vignette maps (to out of combat locations)
    * Added a trader near each starting location (has 198 mundane items for sale)
    * Removed starting equipment (players now get random starting gold for each pc type as per the PHB)
    * Added a little dialogue for the trader.
    * Stopped the elven noble (from the chaotic good vignette) from talking at you as soon as you enter the area.
    * Added a little bonus starting gold - as requested by Shiningted.

Thanks for help with this little mod goes to Agetian, everyone who helped develop ToEEWB, And everyone who contributed with suggestions in this tread.

That's it folk's

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  9. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

@ Allyx: the trader doesn't talk, apparently because the script is missing in the installation package. Also, there's an issue with the Lawful Good startup: when you finish buying stuff and attack the bandits (where the caravan is) the trader becomes "evil" (with a red circle), so the party can attack him. Maybe it's a good idea to add a "End Shopping" option to the dialog so that whenever the buying process is finished, the shopper will destroy itself or something?...
    Maybe you should try fiddling with the NPC faction parameter for the trader so that he's friendly (but in that case he may attack the monsters).

EDIT: Just tried it again - the trader didn't become "evil" this time (maybe I clicked on him during combat with one of my players?...) Anyway, removing him after the trading is finished is a good idea.

- Agetian

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  10. Allyx

A new (complete) version is up, please re-download.

11. Agetian

Good job, Allyx! :doublethu

Just wanted to throw a random idea: I think there's a command to take gold from party somewhere... I'm not sure if you get rid of the original 500gp in your mod (I don't think you do btw, correct me if I am wrong), but it would be nice if you could strip the party off the original gold and give the gold per PHB only. Correct me if you already did this. :)

- Agetian

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

For the record I think this is silly.

BUT i am behind it 100% and will hold off my next patch until this is done to everyone's satisfaction, then build my stuff on top of this.

Yay Allyx! :clap:

13. Allyx

I just added Max starting gold to each class. Didn't know there was a way to get rid of the extra 500 gold.

So what do you guy's think? D'you like my shop map? Gimme feedback.

14. Agetian

Yeah, there is a way: use the following function in the dialog to remove 500 gp from the party:

pc.money_adj(-50000)

On second thought I even think that it'd be better to remove all money from the party at game startup, and then calculate the money according to the PHB and give it to players.

Hope this helps.
    - Agetian

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  15. Allyx

Just tried that Agetian, added that to the first line of dialogue, adjusted the script to auto talk san_heartbeat style, and protos.tab to trigger it, but it seems the start_equip.mes is only giving gold to the highest paid PC, I tried a 5 man party 1 fighter / 1 cleric / 1 wizard / 1 bard / 1 druid, but only got 200 gold at the traders shop. So I left the 500gp "gift" in - to make up from being screwed out of some cash.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
Our Host!