New PC voices, get em while they're hot!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shiningted, Jun 3, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

Yeah, pretty stupid of me. Sorry about that guys.

Its a pity that sound takes so much space. Is there a way to divvy up the voices into say 4 'series' of downloads according to genre? Splitting them into similar voices?

eg: Baldurs gate voicepack so-n-so MB.
    Voicepack two so-n-so MB.

Just a thought for the dialuppers.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Best thing for dial-up folks is to get a download manager (like getright) and just download the two BG packs. Click accept, wander off, go to work etc, if it times out the manager can pick it up later and you can set it to disconnect when finished if you are on a timed plan.

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Nah, it's always pretty good for huge downloads when you leave it over night or something, but when you want to download lots of medium things so you've got to keep coming back every 1/2hr or hr to start the next one, thats the pain in the bum.

4. Shiningted

They do have ummm 'stacking' or whatever they call it - I mean people tend to ignore it, "why would I want to stack the damn thing, I just want to download it NOW" but it should be there. Forget the word they use.

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I was going to say in that last post, but no only two files at a time. Even if you want more then you've got to wait till one's done before you can say "yes save here" to the next one.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I use Download Accelerator Plus (DAP 7.4) for my dial-up connection, it's free, you can queue up your downloads (when one finishes another starts), more often than not you can resume your download later if you get disconnected for some reason - Brilliant program.

7. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

the problem with dap and others like it is they put tracking cookies on your computer. if you dont mind them there ok. in my area there is no high speed internet available.(the max i can get on dial up is 24.0 kpbs) :shame: :shame:

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Damn mines running slow right now at 52.0 kbps.
    A couple of years ago one of the phone companys went and put fiberoptics thru most of the city.

9. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

i swear they have not updated anything in this subdivision since the built in the 50's. :)

10. Shiningted

My cable cuts back to 28.8 when u go over the download limit (rather than charging u extra) - damn good idea, but practically unusable at that speed.

Dude, you have my sympathies :(

11. Ki Rin Ryu

Ki Rin Ryu Member

Just tried the bg packs :) this rules! good to have mazzy on board again! nothing walks away!

thank you shining ted!

12. philodox

philodox Member

So, with the new Ted patches, should I install all the voice stuff and the control files last?

Also, have you ever thought of putting in a bunch of new custom portraits to go with the voices?

13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Custom portraits can be found here...

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/ToEE/index_editors.php

14. Shiningted

There are a few custom portraits in with the voices - probably at least the 5 you can stick in (though not many more than that). Of course, they are not fiddled for ToEE, but, well, its something.

I have never used custom portriats myself (though when I was making the sound packs I had that same idea of matching pix, yeah). But since my mod changes the portraits.mes file, I'm not going to add custom portraits to the sound pack because one way or the other, they will conflict.

Now... the control files for the sounds are solely for the PC voices, so nothing will clash with them. Ergo, you can install the sounds before or after my mod or any others :)

15. philodox

philodox Member

Thanks a bunch guys. :)

Our Host!