Ted's mod is HERE

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, Jul 31, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

In the past I used to analyze the patch 3, trying to see if it's going to be any good to make use of it. In fact, all it does is fix one single issue, there is nothing else added to it. On the other hand, moebius2778's and Drifter's fixes rely on the temple.dll from patch 2, AND they have the above-mentioned issue fixed as well. Also, the ToEE Frontend relies on Moebius2778's/Drifter's temple.dll. So, there is no real point in updating to patch 3. More than that, the temple.dll file from patch 3 could rely on different versions of supplementary dynamic link libraries (such as tio.dll, mss32.dll, etc.). Therefore, installing patch 3 and installing the moebius2778/Drifter fixed temple.dll into it is almost sure to have conflicts and errors.

So, my personal recommendation to everyone is to ignore patch 3 altogether and use patch 2 with the fixed DLL. This has been discussed tons of times here on the forum, and I don't think that it needs any specific clarification.

- Agetian

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  2. Fionavar

Fionavar Member

Agetian,

My problem is that the jewel auto updates EVERYTHING to the 3rd patch. I suspect this is a slip stream style - so I do not think that I could manipulate the install (setup.exe) to only install the first 2 ... and I guess hence my nuisance here :?

3. Agetian

Yeah, that could be a problem then... Hmm, give it a try then and tell us how it all went. Anyway, patch #3 is generally considered to be not required and could cause problems due to DLL incompatibilities.

I guess someone here should look into a way to make a reverse patch from patchlevel 3 to 2 possible, so that autoinstall up to patch 3 won't be a problem anymore ;)

- Agetian

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Surely our stuff should 'ship' with those other .dlls?

5. Agetian

Not really, this could cause internal errors in temple.dll (maybe it won't, though, but it's highly likely that it will). Those files (tio.dll, mss32.dll, etc.) are supplementary libraries: for example, 'tio.dll' is responsible for file I/O operations, 'mss32.dll' is responsible for (AFAIK) sound, 'binkw32.dll' is responsible for movie playback, and so on. The truth is: temple.dll relies highly on the version of each of those files, since all the above-mentioned operations are done the way they're done in certain specific DLL versions that shipped with a patch. So, patch 2 temple.dll is "taught" to use the patch 2 supplementary DLLs, while patch 3 temple.dll could be specific to patch 3 supplementary DLLs. I don't think it would be a good practice to mix these things in any way. If the differences are not big it may be possible to use newer DLLs, but it's highly unlikely.

This way or the other, since the DLL modded by moebius2778 and Drifter comes from the patch 2, and since all the mods, editors, and tools rely heavily on this DLL, we should by all means continue working with patch 2 and NOT patch 3, and surely we shouldn't mix DLLs from those two different patches.

- Agetian

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats what I meant. Since the various mods rely on a modified patch 2 temple.dll, shouldn't they come with the other patch 2 dlls?

7. Agetian

Hmm... I don't think so. What should be the reason to include other DLLs?...

- Agetian

8. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

So that those people who's installs auto patch to patch 3 could run the the mods here using patch 2 temple.dll without conflict.

9. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Well, if anyone happens to have a game patched up to 3, how difficult can it be to download patch2 and apply it on top?
    Sigh... peoples, making issues out of air. :goth:

10. Cerulean the Blue

Ted, there seems to be a problem with Yvy. When I talk to her, her dialogue in the dialogue box is just the last thing my character has said, and it is greyed out. The floating text is fine, its only the text in the dialoge box that has a problem. I checked and I do have her dialogue file installed. She still sells the tatoos, though.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This might explain Lord Spike's LSD-hallucination-like results while using patch 3 with the Co8 stuff. Spike - time to jump on the graveytrain! The top dawg has made the call! ;)

We're talking about two different things here - Atari patches and Co8 mods. Remember, as far as Atari's concerned, Co8 is just another maker of "3rd party" mods and they "don't recommend" that their customers use them. Grok actually said that once.

12. Cerulean the Blue

I am not making myself clear. We are talking about potential conflicts from using Co8 mods and Atari patch 3, since the moebius/Drifter temple.dll the Co8 mods use is based on patch 2 and patch 3 may change the 3 suplimentary .dll files. I was suggesting that including the 3 patch 2 suplimentary .dll files with the moebius/Drifter temple.dll may eliminate these potential conflicts. Grok?

If Drifter's suggestion works, and I don't know why it wouldn't, it would be a far simpler solution.

13. philodox

philodox Member

14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

My results were indeed strange...but I've recently noticed others reporting invisible characters here. I also had invisible terrain in the nodes, and items that could be seen through the characters to boot. Could it be that I just had the stuff installed improperly to begin with? Patch 3 alone shouldn't have made this happen...

I've long said that my skills lie elsewhere...I hope that I can land on the wagon when I finally make the leap!

15. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Just wanted to mention that the no free weapon with WMP problem is indeed fixed. Hail Ted. :)

I still want the old Celtic that gave an Armor bonus back. ;)

Our Host!